MTG letter from the company

toya81

Good Afternoon, Carolyn,(not me)

Liz forwarded me your email regarding concerns on using Original M-T-G on humans. I understand and appreciate your request for further information regarding human use of Original M-T-G. Let me begin by giving you a bit of background on the product and company.

As you already know, Original M-T-G was originally formulated by a barber for use on psoriases, dandruff and dry skin on his customers. This was in the 1930’s and that product is essentially the same formula that we are currently using. He also started marketing this formula for use on skin problems for horses. When he sold the company, the new owners pursued the animal market, where it has remained.

During the 14 years that I have owned Shapley’s, I have spoken to several people who have used it successfully to treat skin problems on humans. Over the years, we have received reports of many others using it with no negative effects.

When I was first made aware that people were using it recently for growth purposes, I was interested to see what results they would obtain. As this has not been our intended market, Shapley’s has not performed any efficacy testing for human hair growth. What I am hearing and reading is that people are getting good growth from using Original M-T-G. Because of the results I have seen, I have begun to research and develop a product to test for human hair growth. This, of course, will take time and effort, and any feedback that we can receive will be helpful and appreciated in bringing the best product to the market.

Shapley’s is very conscientious of what we formulate for animal use and are recognized in the marketplace for using the finest quality ingredients. I can tell you that the current formulation doesn’t contain anything that is known to have detrimental effects on humans or animals, unless it is an allergic reaction. (The ingredients are petroleum distillates, sulfur, zinc sterate, cade oil and glycerine). As recommended and stated on the bottle, we always suggest performing a patch test for sensitivity on any new product before use. People have been using it on their animals for almost 70 years with unbelievable success. The reported negative reaction using Original M-T-G since I have owned the company is less than 1%.

As for the frequency of use, because we have not tested it, I can't recommend a routine. From the information I am receiving, people are using it anywhere from daily to weekly. My advice is that if they are using it frequently as start seeing any negative changes is to decrease the frequency of use.

I hope this helps to answer some of your concerns. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns or feedback. I will be happy to answer them to the best of my knowledge and ability.

Best regards,

Cindy S. Carfore
President, Shapley, Ltd.
11650 Chitwood Dr.
Fort Myers, FL 33908
Phone: 239-415-2275
Toll Free: 800-982-2017
Fax: 239-415-2277
Experience the Shapley's Difference online today at www.shapleys.com

I found this on another hair site i want to purchase mtg but i had to do a little research becuase of all the controversy.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Thanks for the info... So actually there is no need to make a human version, becaue this was initially intended to be used on humans to treat skin problems, etc.. Some where down the line they started using it on horses and discovered that it not only treated their skin problems but grew back the hair on the horses too. I don't understand why the need to make a new human formula if it was for humans in the beginning, :confused: , I think this is where the price will be hiked up just because it will be label for human hair growth. I rather use the original formula. :perplexed

Blaque*Angel

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Thanks for the info... So actually there is no need to make a human version, becaue this was initially intended to be used on humans to treat skin problems, etc.. Some where down the line they started using it on horses and discovered that it not only treated their skin problems but grew back the hair on the horses too. I don't understand why the need to make a new human formula if it was for humans in the beginning, :confused: , I think this is where the price will be hiked up just because it will be label for human hair growth. I rather use the original formula. :perplexed

well i think it should be marketed towards humans so people wont be scared to use it. when you suggest MTG to people and they hear it's for horses they run a mile..........now if they targeted it for human use that would be a different subject! ;) But I would rather use the original formula too for the reason you stated (price increase)
I Like this bit:
Shapley's are recognized in the marketplace for using the finest quality ingredients. At a good price too...

Last edited:

ekomba

BeautifulWideEyes said:

EXACTLY!!!!! Thats why i did not even inform them i was using it on my head cause just the way it is it grows my hair crazy. if they make a new one with a label on it that say super growth trust me we gonna be charged it s just marketing. they might want to tone down the smell and use a ton of giberrish that they cant use with animals cause they very sensitive to fragrances that s why you can only use for instance the mane and tail original on your dogs and horses but not the improved new one ultra moisturizing cause its not suitable for them:confused: imagine they better treated than us hahahah:lachen: i m sticking to the original mtg and stocking it for real.

ekomba

ThursdayGirl said:
They would also have to do some quality control tests and probably change the oil base.

ohhhhhhhh i hope not cause it s basically that oil base that make the hair grow most of the stuff in this version are known to grow hair the cade oil, the sulfur, the zinc even the glycerin so i m puzzled if they gonna take some stuff out and put other things hum i m curious to what they will add :confused: preservatives and what not who knows hum cant wait to see their new recipe:grin: but i will stick to this one for now

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I hope they don't change it. When companies do this the potency of the product is usually ruined. I love MTg the way it is. If Shapely changes it, no doubt the price will change.:whip:

Zeal

I just have a quick question. How many bottles do you all own on average.

I only have one bottle which I purchased in December.

Teacake

I have one bottle, but then again I'm new to doing it. I might have to stock up, if they are thinking about changing it. I know if you order a certain amount over there, you get a free T-shirt. I will be walking around with my horse T-shirt with pride. LOL.

Jaelin

I have one 32oz bottle. I'll probably need to buy another one at the end of the year. I am sticking to the original, and might even stockpile since I can get it for less than $8 a bottle locally.

*ElleB

BeautifulWideEyes said:

Ur right, that prolly will be tha case. I don't use MTG tho, but I think that is what is gonna happen. An they prolly will water down the formula...