Mtg,Monistat,and guess what now...

dreysonsmommy2011

Well ladies I was visiting another forum yesterday since the board was down and one of the members thought that vicks vapor rub would be good for stimulating the scalp for hair growth. The thread got some really good responses so I wanted to ask the LHCF ladies, what do you think about this one? The ingredients to the Vick Vapor Rub are:
Active Ingredients:
4.8% Camphor
2.6% Menthol
1.2% Eucalyptus oil

Inactive Ingredients:
Cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, special petrolatum, thymol, and turpentine oil.

BTW most of the women are just using it as a prepoo and many said that it didn't burn at all. Vicks also makes a cream form with the same active ingredients.So what's your opinion on this?

Catina72

I just ordered MTG so I think I'll stick with that for now! You know I've got a Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo/and conditioner thats got all that stuff in it (i think?):perplexed

princesmich

i'm not going to be hasty enough is enough, I think we need to be patient and our hair will grow, Bengay will be next.

LaNecia

princesmich said:
Bengay will be next.

:lachen:

True that! I'll sit and watch this one. I spent HOURS this weekend doing research on different things that have legitimately worked to "make my hair grow". I've found what works for me, enough trial and error and buying the latest "fast grow" fix.

Best of luck to the ladies that give a try out though!! :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I saw that thread over there. It got a lot of responses but I haven't heard anyone report back w/ what results they got. IMO it would just stimulate blood flow.

cece22

I am sure it would help stimulate growth camphor, menthol, and eucalyptus are all used to tingle and stimulate the scalp very similar to peppermint oil and sulpur-8. And Vicks would open those pores right on up. I would try it but not for growth, I just want my scalp to feel good all tingly and cool. Oh yeah I just ran across a tub or two of Vicks in my closet and thought why do I have all this stuff? I rarely get sick. Too bad I can't use it everyday I cant imagine my head smelling like Vicks.

Last edited:

sareca

VWVixxen said:
:lachen:

True that! I'll sit and watch this one. I spent HOURS this weekend doing research on different things that have legitimately worked to "make my hair grow". I've found what works for me, enough trial and error and buying the latest "fast grow" fix.

Best of luck to the ladies that give a try out though!! :yep:

ITA. I'm done. I've found what works for me so I'm not going to press my luck. But, best wishes ya'll.

gradygirl

OK I have to draw the line somewhere. I can't even imagine what you would have to use to cover up the smell of Vicks vapor rub. Go back with me ladies :ill: Remember when our mama would put that stuff under our noses to open us up. My mama would rub this stuff almost over my whole body. Its a wonder I didn't slip right out of the bed. No I think I'll pass on this one but to whoever does try it I hope they get good results with it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Does the person who introduced Vics Vapor Rub as a hair growing product have pictures that show before and after growth? If not, there is no bandwagon for me to jump on.

I will check out the thread, but I think I already know what to expect.

BLESSED1

I'll pass on that, I got the most growth ever by doing absolutely nothing to my hair. Plus vapor rub burns my skin, so I can imagine what it would do to my scalp :/

dreysonsmommy2011

JCoily said:
Does the person who introduced Vics Vapor Rub as a hair growing product have pictures that show before and after growth? If not, there is no bandwagon for me to jump on.

I will check out the thread, but I think I already know what to expect.

JCoily it is a fairly new thread so there aren't any pics but alot of the ladies have started a "Vicks challenge" to see if it works.

I am wondering with Grady Girl how exactly are they covering up the smell,but no one has posted anything about that. That's why I am hoping that if anything they just apply it for a little while and then wash it out:perplexed

Shine-On

gradygirl said:
OK I have to draw the line somewhere. I can't even imagine what you would have to use to cover up the smell of Vicks vapor rub. Go back with me ladies :ill: Remember when our mama would put that stuff under our noses to open us up. My mama would rub this stuff almost over my whole body. Its a wonder I didn't slip right out of the bed. No I think I'll pass on this one but to whoever does try it I hope they get good results with it.

:lol: :lachen: :grin:

HoneyDew

I could see how vicks could stimulate the scalp because of how it makes you feel when you put in on your chest.

But, I think I am just too sensitive to deal with this one. I could never use MTG or anything that has a strong smell to it. I also don't like too much tingling and stimulation going on.

But, I always feel that whatever works for someone - more power to them!

so1913

I swear when it comes to black woman and growing hair it's...

"BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!!!"

KiniKakes

Sounds pretty interesting, but i'm of the mantra "if it aint broke, dont fix it." :) Im pretty content w/my current regimen and it seems to be working so..... i'll pass on this one. But Im quite curious to see the growth results of those who decide to try this out. I wish you ladies luck. :D

asha

I'm trying it. Love the way it makes my scalp feel...I was on the mtg bandwagon for a minute and then got scurred because who the heck knows what is in it. But vicks...people have been putting that concoction on their bodies for ages..and remember skin absorbs everything so it may not work like mtg..but it's safer (in my opinion) and I like tinglies...smell is gone by morning. Oh..and I love the smell. I am one of those that when I get sick...I'm a walking tub o vicks. I've always been that way since I was young..and hey if it gives me growth then great.

KiniKakes

asha said:
I'm trying it. Love the way it makes my scalp feel...I was on the mtg bandwagon for a minute and then got scurred because who the heck knows what is in it. But vicks...people have been putting that concoction on their bodies for ages..and remember skin absorbs everything so it may not work like mtg..but it's safer (in my opinion) and I like tinglies...smell is gone by morning. Oh..and I love the smell. I am one of those that when I get sick...I'm a walking tub o vicks. I've always been that way since I was young..and hey if it gives me growth then great.

Kewl beans. Keep us posted, sis. ;)

Tee

thanks for the other link. I was wondering if it was just my PC that was down.

On the vicks...well good luck to all who tries it out. Please share your results

secretdiamond

KiniKakes said:
Kewl beans. Keep us posted, sis. ;)
OMG that took me back! :lol: I haven't used or heard anyone use that since HS! Ah, the memories.

Well, for those who are gonna try it, at least there's already one known advantage over MTG--- just say that you've been perpetually sick and the doctor has advised you to always have some vicks on you for good measure. :look:

I ain't knocking nobody who wants to try it though. To each her own.

tenderheaded

I can't wait to see how this works. I'm about to start using oil from chickens 2nd cousin - emu oil. I've heard a lot about the miracle properties including gorwing hair by taking care of the scalp, so hear goes:D

mslondon

Vicks will stimulate blood to the scalp, causing blood to rush to the area and from my understanding that nourishes the folicles with all the nutrients (obtained from diet and supplements) found in blood. that's y daily massages are recommended for aiding growth. I've heard about vicks being used for hair growth back in africa, haven't used in personally myself so i can't comment on the effectiveness but may give it a try on my temples because they need serious help.

I recall the bad press vaginal cream got when it was first mentioned on the boards and now it seems like most people are using it so vicks to me doesn't sound half bad.

off topic and when i was in boarding school, girls used to coat their breasts in vicks because it apparently stimulated growth in the area.

asha

I really can't say if this will provide growth because i only really do it when I'm sick. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I rarely get sick during the summer, but during the winter...oh boy watch out. My colds aren't horrible...just a couple days of coughs and sniffles and I've always attributed that to vicks because I don't take anything else. This winter I'm going to pay attention to growth...lol. I've always put it on my scalp and everywhere else (except internal) when I've been sick and I just like the way my scalp felt. You can overdose on camphor so to do it every day is probably not a good idea. There is a website that states a few other unusual uses for vicks..such as hemmrhoid (sp?) relief and nail fungus. So it is not just black women and the growing hair thing...it's a people thing...some peeps like to experiment and if they can use product A as a cure all for everything then some will.

But like tenderheaded..I've been eyeing up the Emu....