Mud Puddle Bentonite Hair Wash

McQuay30

Trying to find out the expiration date, I emailed them and ask when is the next sale. Try their facebook page.

hair4today

Welp, I did a mock cart and the code works perfectly when you factor in the free shipping its a 50% discount which is much better than the first sale. Too good a deal to pass up so will be buying 2 more...txs McQuay30

intellectualuva

Interesting, the ingredients is pretty much the same as Terresssentials Lemon and I haven't heard of any issues with nasties growing in the mud wash. I wonder if the citrusy EOs are enough when used with bentonite clay?

I have questions or concerns about this. I want to buy, but the no preservatives makes me concern.

lalla

Interesting, the ingredients is pretty much the same as Terresssentials Lemon and I haven't heard of any issues with nasties growing in the mud wash. I wonder if the citrusy EOs are enough when used with bentonite clay?

I know of no study that proves that bentonite clay + citrus EO doesn't need a preservative. I believe this shampoo needs some.
Some EOs do have antibacterial properties, but you'd have to use them at very high levels (potential irritating) and you still wouldn't get a comprehensive protection against bacteria, mold and yeast.

Most of the time, bacterial contamination is invisible. You can see mold, bubbles are a bad sign, but you could have colonies upon colonies of harmful bacteria and not see it.

lalla

BTW, I live in Europe so I probably won't be buying those products anyway. I just needed to say that "no preservative" is risky and shouldn't be a marketing claim.

HanaKuroi

I use the teressentiials mudwash. It has no preservatives either. I believe it has something to do with the clay and I will research it later.

I will be buying today!

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

hair4today

lalla Terressentials advertises no preservatives as a feature of their mud wash also. Here is the ingredient list for Terresentials Pure Earth Hair Wash — Organic Left Coast Lemon. Would you have the same concerns for this product as you do for Mud Puddle or is there something in this ingredient listing that would be viewed as a natural preservative.

Organic aloe vera juice°, clay minerals, organic extract° of organic linden flower°, essential oils of organic lemon°, organic sweet orange° and organic lime°, extracts of organic nettle°, organic chamomile° and organic shavegrass°, essential oils of organic bergamot°, wildcrafted bay and organic petitgrain°.

lalla

hair4today

I don't see any preservative in this ingredient list.
Two options:
- there is no preservative
- preservatives are included in some of the extracts and not mentioned in the INCI

BTW, this list of ingredients does not respect the INCI rules.

Amarilles

That's a good observation lalla

Terressentials has this to say about their products
Terressentials products have an excellent shelf life and don’t need to be refrigerated. First, we’d like to point out that we do use non-synthetic methods for extending lifecycles in some of our products—essential oils and herbal extracts, for example. (We won’t use grapefruit seed extract—for the reason, click here.) Second, many of our products are self-preserving. Some examples of this type of product would be our Body Oils, Body Cremes, Lip Protectors, Body Washes, Moisture Cream and Hand Soaps. Examples of self-preserved products that you might have at home would be honey, nut butter, wine, olive oil, sugar, vinegar and raisins—they need no preservatives or refrigeration. An ingredient or product may be self-preserving if it is not conducive to bacterial growth due to its basic or acidic nature, or because it contains no water.

Our various water-based certified organic products incorporate select herbal extracts and tinctures, and essential oils, carefully chosen for their beneficial skin qualities and for their natural preservative properties. Terressentials lotions and face cream products are stable, usable and effective for up to six months (when purchased directly from Terressentials) when the products are kept out of high heat and direct sunlight, at room temperature (70° Fahrenheit or lower) with the lids tightly capped, and when no unclean fingers are placed in the product. Our other products should be used within nine months of receiving them from us and one should follow the instructions above for protecting them. We recommend that one should view our organic products like organic food products—buy smaller quantities more frequently, and only purchase what you can use within three to six months.

As with organic foods, herbs and oils are always more vital and nourishing when they are fresh. When it comes to certified organic personal care products, as it is with foods, fresher is better! It is far cheaper to use methyl or propyl paraben, or other toxic chemical preservatives, to artificially sustain a product’s shelf-life, but we believe that the issues of environmental contamination and safety, and the inherent biological incompatibility of these types of ingredients, do not justify their cheap cost. There is always some price to pay in the end when you cut corners.

hair4today

lalla. I think you're right must be the extracts combined with the use of EOs. Here's what I found on the FAQ section of the Terressentials site by way of an explanation...

"I did not notice the use of any preservatives in your products. Should I be concerned that they will have a limited shelf life?

Terressentials products have an excellent shelf life and don’t need to be refrigerated. First, we’d like to point out that we do use non-synthetic methods for extending lifecycles in some of our products—essential oils and herbal extracts, for example. (We won’t use grapefruit seed extract—for the reason, click here.) Second, many of our products are self-preserving. Some examples of this type of product would be our Body Oils, Body Cremes, Lip Protectors, Body Washes, Moisture Cream and Hand Soaps. Examples of self-preserved products that you might have at home would be honey, nut butter, wine, olive oil, sugar, vinegar and raisins—they need no preservatives or refrigeration. An ingredient or product may be self-preserving if it is not conducive to bacterial growth due to its basic or acidic nature, or because it contains no water.

Our various water-based certified organic products incorporate select herbal extracts and tinctures, and essential oils, carefully chosen for their beneficial skin qualities and for their natural preservative properties. Terressentials lotions and face cream products are stable, usable and effective for up to six months (when purchased directly from Terressentials) when the products are kept out of high heat and direct sunlight, at room temperature (70° Fahrenheit or lower) with the lids tightly capped, and when no unclean fingers are placed in the product. Our other products should be used within nine months of receiving them from us and one should follow the instructions above for protecting them. We recommend that one should view our organic products like organic food products—buy smaller quantities more frequently, and only purchase what you can use within three to six months
."

Anyhow love both of these clay wash products so will stock up but keep my surplus jars in the fridge just to be on the safe side. Txs for the advice.

ETA -- oops I see this has been posted above. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Last edited:

Amarilles

I think it may be use of the aloe vera juice instead of water, considering that aloe is self preserving yet contains a lot of water.

hair4today

If you use the checkout with Paypal option, once you log into your account it takes you back to Nothing Naughty on the step 2 of 3 checkout page, you'll see a Redemption Code box, put the SECRETMUD3 code and it applies the discount when you move to step 3 of 3 page, then you confirm payment for the reduced amt.

snoop

I wouldn't try such a product with no preservative. If you use water, you need preservatives or else you'll have all kind of nasties growing in your product. Something that might be in contact with your eyes or mouth or nose.
Bentonite is not a preservative, nor is any of the ingredients listed.

You're right. Since TE contains AVJ it should have a preservative. Mud puddle, too.

That said, I'll admit that I like both products. If I could find bentonite gel I'd probably try making my own.

snoop

I just sent Mud Puddle a message to find out about their preservative system. I hope they respond with some useful information.

snoop

The response from Mud Puddle

To answer your questions:

The various essential oils in our product, specifically Lemon and Tea Tree Essential Oils, work as natural preservatives. The essential oils in our products were carefully and specifically selected for their preserving and caring qualities.

It is ideal to keep your jar as clean as possible. Avoid putting fingers into the jar to scoop out the product. This will prevent any cross-contamination. I do suggest you keep the hair wash in a cool, dark place. It is not necessary, however, to keep the product refrigerated. I would avoid prolonged exposure to humid areas. If you are using it in the bath, place the lid back on after use, and put it in a dark place that is less humid after you have used it. We do recommend a 4 month shelf life for your product. We do not manufacture massive quantities at a time, so that we can insure only the freshest products are distributed to our customers.

lalla

The response from Mud Puddle

"The various essential oils in our product, specifically Lemon and Tea Tree Essential Oils, work as natural preservatives. The essential oils in our products were carefully and specifically selected for their preserving and caring qualities. "

That is a LIE. :rolleyes:A bold faced lie.

HanaKuroi

I got my MUD PUDDLE! Yay!

I will use terr on one half of my head and mud puddle on my hair tomorrow.

I just put some on my bangs. I couldn't wait! It is not messy.

hair4today

I got my MUD PUDDLE! Yay!

I will use terr on one half of my head and mud puddle on my hair tomorrow.

I just put some on my bangs. I couldn't wait! It is not messy.

Yeah for fast shipping. I received my second order today as well. Let us know how it works out for youHanaKuroi.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Sigh........dc'ing on clean, naked hair. I cleansed with terressentials on one half and mud puddle on the other.

I am dc'ing with QBctdg and bask Cacao bark.

HanaKuroi, could you tell the difference between the mud puddle and terressentials, besides the smell? Which did you like better? I thought you didn't have to DC after doing the mud washes. Or, is that just Naptural85?

ETA: copied your words from another thread because these questions would have been off topic for that thread.

HanaKuroi

MileHighDiva said:
HanaKuroi, could you tell the difference between the mud puddle and terressentials, besides the smell? Which did you like better? I thought you didn't have to DC after doing the mud washes. Or, is that just Naptural85?

ETA: copied your words from another thread because these questions would have been off topic for that thread.

You caught me. Lol!

I am so tired I can't write a proper review. I will write one tomorrow or after I pull myself together. :)

I Dc'd because I had naked hair for over 24 hours and my hair was uncovered in the sun.

HanaKuroi

MileHighDiva said:

Okay. Here we go. MileHighDiva

Terr side I think detangled slightly better. My hair was drier but not dried out. Curls popping as usual. It was messy as usual. I could put it an applicator bottle but I am lazy. I used left coast lemon and lavender.

Mud pud side was easier to apply. I scooped some out so I wouldn't contaminate the container. It smoothes on and has a gel like consistency. It was not messy. It smelled better than the terr. Air dried hair was shinier and less dry looking. Felt more moisturized too. It rinsed better. Curls popping.

I have used several mudwashes trying to replace the terr. This one could be the one. I will continue to use half on one side and half on the other and update accordingly.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
HanaKuroi, are you going to alternate sides? For example, week one mud pud on right and terr on left, following week mud pud on left and terr on right.

Thank you for the review! I tried Bobeam's Cocoa Rhassoul shampoo bar and I'm on the fence about it. It made made my hair/scalp clean and soft, but I noticed a film. Maybe, I didn't rinse long enough. I'll try it one more time on my hair to make sure I'm not tripping, but I'll probably re- purpose it for face or body use.

HanaKuroi

MileHighDiva said:
HanaKuroi, are you going to alternate sides? For example, week one mud pud on right and terr on left, following week mud pud on left and terr on right.

Thank you for the review! I tried Bobeam's Cocoa Rhassoul shampoo bar and I'm on the fence about it. It made made my hair/scalp clean and soft, but I noticed a film. Maybe, I didn't rinse long enough. I'll try it one more time on my hair to make sure I'm not tripping, but I'll probably re- purpose it for face or body use.

I wasn't going to alternate. What are your thoughts/advice?