Multiple lengths/textures

Stacia82

I am beyond frustrated with my hair right now! There is a large patch of my hair in the back which is super coarse and stays super dry! The rest of my hair is manageable during a stretch. I under processed my last relaxer and this section broke off at the demarcation line. Now I have mostly apl hair with one section that is about an inch in length! I can't keep that patch moist and my hair breaks and sheds very easily. I am lising a lot of hair on the bathroom floor and am wondering if you all can give me suggestions or critique my regimen:

Wash with non sulfate shampoo (Wen or Keracare) each week
Deep condition each week under steam with ORS Replenishing Pak or Joico Moisture Recovery, cold water rinse, blot with t-shirt, spray with Jane Carter Revitalizing leave in, jojoba oil, then silk elements leave in, comb products through then air dry in a bun I take the bun down to moisturize and seal every day with the Silk Elements and whatever oil is closest ( JBCO, jojoba oil, hot six, or coconut oil). I dust every relaxer which is about every 3 or 4 months.

I feel like my breakage and shedding is due to my ends and the varying lengths but in order to get my hair even I would have to bc! Does anyone have this problem or suggestions? TIA!!

bhndbrwneyes

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and maybe someone can chime in on how to care for that rebellious patch. I was just wondering though, since you wash and DC every week and wear your hair in buns almost daily it seems like, why not transition? That sounds like a natural's regimen.

lana

As a (former) texlaxer, it's hard for me to understand why people think their breakage came from underprocessing their hair. Texlaxing IS underprocessing on purpose, but the results are usually thick, healhty (almost natural looking) hair. I'm not certain that your breakage came from underprocessing the relaxer in that one section although it might have resulted from combing that section as if it was relaxed, when it was actually highly textured. Consider finger combing that area.

But in answer to your question - yes, I have had two drastically different lengths and what I did was baby the hair that was shorter and continue to trim the length of my hair until it was all even. It appears that I have remained at the same length (BSL) for a LONG time, but I'm okay because being bra-strap length was only a dream for me and the fact that I made it just makes me happy.

Another option is to cut layers into your hair to hide the broken section. I refused to do that and I'm glad. I love the way my hair turned out and I have healthy ends.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
(1) Go to your nearest pool supply store and purchase some pH testing strips.
(2) pH test all of your products and write the pH on the bottles in magic marker
(3) adjust your routine - high pH items go at the begining of your routine (shampoos, cleansers, etc), and low pH items go at the end of your routine (conditioners, moisturizers, leave-ins, etc.)
(4) research the effects of pH on your hair

In short: the pH of your hair & skin is approx. 5.5. Products above this pH will open your hair cuticles. This is good for shampooing/cleansing (high pH > 5.5). After shampooing, you want to apply a conditioner (neutral to you hair ~ 5.5 pH) while the cuticles are open and the moisture can get in. Once the conditioner/moisturizer is applied, you want to apply a finisher (like John Frieda Clear Glaze, ~ 4.5 pH)) that will close the cuticles and seal in the moisture. Then seal with a light oil. This should go a long way to normalizing your hair in general and that dry area specifically.

But before you do anything, research: (1) pH; (2) glazes; (3) porosity

Once I understood this, got it down and made the necessary adjustments in my routine, my hair took off!

Good Luck!

Stacia82

I'm sorry to hear about your experience and maybe someone can chime in on how to care for that rebellious patch. I was just wondering though, since you wash and DC every week and wear your hair in buns almost daily it seems like, why not transition? That sounds like a natural's regimen.

Well I was hoping that this regimen would be temporary until I reach my desired length of wl. I love my natural curl pattern, however, that rough patch keeps me from fully transitioning. I get VERY frustrated when I can't get the comb through my hair and know that natural probably takes more patience than I have. I texlax for the thickness, however usually end up less processed that I want.

Stacia82

As a (former) texlaxer, it's hard for me to understand why people think their breakage came from underprocessing their hair. Texlaxing IS underprocessing on purpose, but the results are usually thick, healhty (almost natural looking) hair. I'm not certain that your breakage came from underprocessing the relaxer in that one section although it might have resulted from combing that section as if it was relaxed, when it was actually highly textured. Consider finger combing that area.

But in answer to your question - yes, I have had two drastically different lengths and what I did was baby the hair that was shorter and continue to trim the length of my hair until it was all even. It appears that I have remained at the same length (BSL) for a LONG time, but I'm okay because being bra-strap length was only a dream for me and the fact that I made it just makes me happy.

Another option is to cut layers into your hair to hide the broken section. I refused to do that and I'm glad. I love the way my hair turned out and I have healthy ends.

Thanks for your recommendations! The reason I believe that the breakage came from underprocessing is because that section is extremely resistent to relaxers and and after my last relaxer it stayed the same, then broke off a week later. I don't comb my hair much especially not with the relaxer in my hair. I did use the mild version of the relaxer Mizani Butter Blends and that one area laughed at it! The rest of my hair came out fine. However the shedding and breakage continues....

Stacia82

(1) Go to your nearest pool supply store and purchase some pH testing strips.
(2) pH test all of your products and write the pH on the bottles in magic marker
(3) adjust your routine - high pH items go at the begining of your routine (shampoos, cleansers, etc), and low pH items go at the end of your routine (conditioners, moisturizers, leave-ins, etc.)
(4) research the effects of pH on your hair

In short: the pH of your hair & skin is approx. 5.5. Products above this pH will open your hair cuticles. This is good for shampooing/cleansing (high pH > 5.5). After shampooing, you want to apply a conditioner (neutral to you hair ~ 5.5 pH) while the cuticles are open and the moisture can get in. Once the conditioner/moisturizer is applied, you want to apply a finisher (like John Frieda Clear Glaze, ~ 4.5 pH)) that will close the cuticles and seal in the moisture. Then seal with a light oil. This should go a long way to normalizing your hair in general and that dry area specifically.

But before you do anything, research: (1) pH; (2) glazes; (3) porosity

Once I understood this, got it down and made the necessary adjustments in my routine, my hair took off!

Good Luck!

Wow, thanks for this info! It sounds like a lot but at this point I have to make some changes in order to see results! :yep:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Does the Silk Elements contain cones? It may be time to clarify. Or since you're relaxed, time to chelate. My hair always broke more than usual when it was time to get a good chelation. :giggle: Go and get some ORS Aloe shampoo and leave the first lather on for five minutes. After that, lather again, but this time, rinse immediately. Go about your reggie as usual and you should see a change. :yep:

Using relaxers deposits minerals into your hair. Those minerals, combined with the mineral deposits in water, can quickly build up and wreak havoc on your hair. Chelating once every month or two will keep the problems at bay. :)

Evolving78

get you some Porosity Control conditioner and the treatments. you may need to clarify as well too.

you may need to trim a little more. i remember i had a nasty setback and had to cut off three inches. plus, i was dusting a lot after major trim.

it sounds like you are doing everything else right.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Wow, thanks for this info! It sounds like a lot but at this point I have to make some changes in order to see results! :yep:

Your Welcome! I know it sounds like a lot, but once you figure it out, it's easy.

BTW, tiffers is right, you should clarify/chelate prior to starting any change in your routine.

TheNDofUO

My hair is very resistant to relaxers. I use super relaxers and my hair is wavy at best. I just grew to love the 50000000 different textures in my hair. It's not advice (sorry) but some people's hair is just 'like that'. I only really relax now to make detangling easier and to have more hang time.