My 1 Year Progress! (Pic Heavy)

Channie

Hello ladies, I wanted to share my condensed story with you over the past year. Hopefully, I'll be an inspiration to someone else as plenty of you have been to me.

(Sorry if some pics aren't resized right away, photobucket isn't quite speedy with that process.)

I transitioned for 7 months (was intending on a year, but the two textures drove me NUTS! :nono:) and chopped on an impulse. It turned into a mohawk of some sort. Ridiculous...

So I had my sister chop the rest off...

and my SO clean up the back...

3 months in...

Deception lies beneath, and it's name is shrinkage.

6 months in I decided to flat iron.

It was cute, but I had some heat damage I had to cut out. (Those pics are in the fotki.)

And the finale, a year in...

Jeez, time to umm... do that color again, huh? lol (It's not this obvious IRL I promise lol)

Not enough progress? How's this?

I didn't straighten it entirely so there may be 1/4 of an inch still unseen. I'll do a completely straight one tonight.

Over the year, I kept it simple with my TWA, only used heat 4 times (including this one), struggled with the protein/moisture balance, searched high & low for products that work, added some color for porosity purposes, experimented with braids & twists here & there (disasters most of the time), and wigged it out [and had fun with that...

In my quest for long hair, I discovered
-my wash 'n go was the best protective hairstyle because it got me past SL.
-Shrinkage is my friend. :yep: My not so close, only invited to my milestones kinda friend, but a friend nonetheless. lol
-The K.I.S.S. approach works for me. I co wash daily (or every other day or 2 days if time is not permitting), moisturize and air-dry. I didn't DC at all this summer, but it's a must for the winter. I detangle weekly [if I remember... :look:].
-Really creamy moisturizing lotions and heavy butters work best for me despite my hair is fine because it's still dense.
-Little to no cones & no sulfates work best for me.
-Alma oil is a GODSEND when I want to detangle. Those little curls don't unravel themselves.
-Nothing high end worked that great for me, so I'm a cheapie girl all the way. Suave Humectant, Aussie Moist, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol, BB Oil Moisturizing Lotion, Alma Oil, Shakakai Powder, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil are the only products I use anymore.

In post #14, I share the simple process of my flat iron. It was pressed with the pressing comb that heats with the stove. And she used Marcel irons to flat iron. I know a lot of you won't go near those, but that's what my sister owns because she's a stylist in a shop. I know it's a lot of heat, but I find a good protein treatment right before helps me out tremendously.

Thanks for letting me share. :wave:

Last edited:

SweetSpirit86

Whoo...that first flatiron was CLEAN!! Looked like you had a relaxer, gone girl! Your hair is beeautiful, and you've made wonderful progress. Thank you for sharing!:D

BlkOnyx488

Your progress is amazing
I lover your natural curl
What do you use when you straighten your hair? it's sooooooo straight

ceebee3

I love shrinkage pics, your hair is beautiful and you've made excellent progress. Can't wait to see you next year!

Channie

Whoo...that first flatiron was CLEAN!! Looked like you had a relaxer, gone girl! Your hair is beeautiful, and you've made wonderful progress. Thank you for sharing!:D

Yeah, my sister is a beast with the heat! Most of her clients don't have relaxers either.

Channie

whatchu pressin with, i need to know asap! u should slap yo momma :hardslap:

:grin:

I washed, detangled, and blow dried it myself. I applied a small amount of shea butter and lot of coconut oil. She just pressed. It looked great, but I paid for it in the end. Some of my hair didn't revert back. :ohwell: Luckily, it was just a few strands, so I just cut them out and left my hair curly until they grew back.

pattyr5

Your hair looks absolutely beautiful....I am sooo inspired. If I could get our kind of results I would reach my goal in one year. Thanks so much for sharing!!