My Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) Review -- PIC HEAVY!!!

Ediese

DISCLAIMER: This post will be very long, but I want to make sure that I give my full review and answer any possible questions in this post.

When the Brazilian Keratin Treatment (BKT) first hit the LHCF scene, I told myself I would wait until I was at least MBL before I considered getting it done. After months of deliberation, research, and good luck, I found a stylist that was well versed with the Marcia Teixeira treatment. I decided to get it done because my hair is very prone to dryness, and tangling as it gets longer. I can’t stand the shrinkage, single strand knots or the frizz. I felt like with the treatment my hair would be smoother, and I wouldn’t have to worry about my hair tangling when I did my wet bun, which is my main style.

I planned on dying my hair jet black because some parts of my hair still had subtle reddish henna tones at the top. I dyed my hair with Loreal Feria Starry Nights Bright Black the night before my BKT, and I did a steam treatment for about 45 minutes. (I read that permanent color should be done prior to the treatment because it would prolong the color)

This is my hair right before the treatment. I combed out some twists I had overnight. Notice the jet black color.

The stylist was very professional, and so sweet. :) (send me a pm if you’d like his contact info) He took time to talk to me about the process, and answer any questions that I had. We had planned on doing a deep treatment for breakage, but he saw the condition of my hair and said I didn’t need it. He asked if I wanted the same day washout treatment (lasts 2-3 mos), or the Chocolate 4 day advanced (lasts 4-6 mos). I decided to get the Chocolate 4 day advanced, and I told him that I didn’t want him to use the full 450 degrees.

He clarified my hair, and then blow dried it with cool air about 80% dry. He started applying the treatment in sections. I didn’t have any problems with fumes at this point. I had a wet washcloth covering my eyes and nose. He blow dried it again. I will admit that during this step, the fumes started getting to me. My nose and throat did burn a little. After my hair was dry, he started to flat iron. My hair got really dry with the treatment in my hair. It was very difficult for him to detangle, so that he could flat iron it. Lol I kept looking over at his comb to see if there was a lot of breakage because my hair doesn’t take kindly to blowouts. Anyway, we started at 7p and didn’t finish until 11p. The flat ironing part took the loonnngesstttttt.

When he was finished, my hair was swanging! I could believe how straight, long and smooth it was. When I got my hair straightened when I was BSL, it didn’t look that long to me. It's only 1-2” longer, and I couldn’t stop flipping it. Lmbo It was moving with every step I took. I called up my ex since I know how much of a long hair fiend he is and I drove over to his place. He was in awe. Lol

(I've done a lot of search and destroying so my ends are not badly split at all. Since my hair is layered, I might trim about 1" or wait until my strands catch up. idk

When I got home and looked in the mirror, I realized that it had started to revert. :sad: You could clearly see texture, AND something happened to my hair color. In some sections, there was some kind of reaction because my hair actually looks reddish/brown. UGH!

You can see the color here.

Just wanted to show how smooth it looked before it started growing. lol

I slept on satin pillowcases with my hair out that night. It had a few bends in the morningm but I flat ironed it out. When I got to school that morning, I couldn’t help but smile at some of the faces in my class. One of my classmates told me she thought I was a new student when I walked in the class. She wanted to know who I was with that long, gorgeous hair. (her words not min) :):look: Awesome compliment! By the time I got to my sisters’ after class, my hair had gotten much bigger. I had to flatiron again. It looked fine until the next day (day two).

Gotta love reversion. lol

Last edited:

Ediese

After I realized there wasn’t much else I could do since my hair was reverting already, I just let it be. I didn’t want to keep flat ironing it even if it still had the treatment. By the time I washed it out last night, my hair had shrunk up to APL.

With Veejee’s advice re: dryness I was experiencing due to the dye, I purchased Kenra moisturizing conditioner from Ulta. I let my hair get drenched under the shower for about 2 minutes. My heart was racing because I was so nervous that my hair wouldn’t curl back up. I looked at my mirror, and didn’t see any curls.

Lol I started to freak a little. I used a glob of the Marcia Teixeira shampoo to make sure I washed everything out. When I looked in the mirror again, I could see big waves and some curls. I definitely let out a sigh of relief. :lachen: I finished washing and used the Marcia Teixeira conditioner, and tried to finger comb my hair. No can do! My hair felt stripped as if I had just clarified.

You can see the how the looser texture in the front got straight.

I washed out the conditioner, and got out the shower. I applied the Kenra Moisturing Conditioner. This made my hair feel much better right away. Thanks Veejee!! :)

I detangled with my bone comb, and put my hair in four twists. Right away I could see that the bulk was no longer there. My hair didnt' shrink as much, and it seemed/looked silky in some parts. It was just as I suspected too. The part of my hair in the left nape that was heat damaged did get very straight. Also, the parts in the crown and front of my head with a looser, almost straight texture got really straight. Even though I had a feeling that could and probably would happen, it still made me nervous. I put on a shower cap, and wrapped my hair with a scarf and went to bed.

The next morning when I took off the scarf I was delighted with what I saw. My hair looked even better as the moisture level improved. It looks shiny, and it’s really soft. As a matter of fact, last night, the top looked as if it no longer waved up, but it was very wavy this morning. I did notice though that when I brushed it, it looks as if I have a relaxer. I would have to try to not manipulate it by brushing or combing when putting it back in a ponytail otherwise it gets really straight. This leads me to believe that I could definitely get my hair straight with only blow drying or rollersetting. I don’t plan on using direct heat again until the end of the year when I do my length check.

After I washed out the Kenra conditioner, this is how my hair looked.

By the time I was through taking pics outside, my hair had already dried and it was still soft. I could never let my hair dry loose with no product before. With this treatment, it wasn’t an issue. I put my hair in a banana clip, and combed it out.

I brushed the front, and it got really straight.

I decided to rewet, and apply my products. I used Burdock Root cream as my moisturizer, and used some IC fantasia gel. I put on my scarf for a few minutes to see if my hair would finally wave. It did, but only a little. It’s so interesting how when I slept overnight with the conditioner in my hair it had deep waves, but as soon as I brushed it, that was it. I hardly have any waves in the front, or at least not as much as I’m accustomed to. Lol My hair has a combination of waves and loose curls. I love that it still has coils on the ends.

I'm not having any breakage issues, and apart from the light color and straight pieces in some areas, I like the treatment so far. My hair seems stronger and it's kinda silky. The shrinkage/bulky frizz have gone away at least by 80%. When it dries with no product, it's really soft and easy to comb through. That's a blessing because I could never do that prior to the treatment. I think I'll wait until the treatment fully wears off before I try it again, and this time I'll try one with less formaldehyde (per Veejee). I think that'll definitely work better for me. :) Oh yea, I’ve decided that I’ll be installing some kinky curly hair sometime this summer. I think my BKTd hair will blend even better than my natural hair.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks again!!

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

I'll wait for the pics. :laugh:

eta: looks great. i am thinking about getting BKT this winter. happy to know someone else had a positive outcome.

Last edited:

Galadriel

Can't wait to see pics! and LOL @ you driving over to your ex's place and causing him to be in awe.

Like all the other ladies I too am awaiting pics. I recently decided I would try BKT but pla on waiting until my bday in July which will also be 19 months into my transition.

Ediese

All done ladies! Thanks for being so patient. I had to switch computers because my laptop kept freezing.

yodie

Your hair is gorgeous regardless of what you do to it. I love your pre-BKT curls. I'd love to have curls like that. Gorgeous hair.

Ediese

hotness...I absolutely love it! :love: did it really hurt the wallet though?

It wasn't that expensive. I paid $180, and I got the shampoo and conditioner too.

If you're happy, I'm happy, but your hair was much more beautiful without the treatment.

Thanks. I think I'm getting used to it. I prefer my curls all day everyday esp. the uniformity of them, but I don't like the issues I had because of them. lol It's a catch 22. I am happy that this is temporary though.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Nice results. If you to it again, color your hair immediately prior to the bkt (clarify, color, bkt), and the color will be sealed in under the keratin. I do this with semi-perm color and it lasts until my next bkt.

Last edited:

otegwu

I looks lovely, I continue to *drool* thanks for taking the time to post up a great review of your process and results

soulfusion

Ooooh, it's so pretty. I like the versatility and I think as you get used to it it'll get even better. Do you remember what temperature he used on his flatiron? Isn't he the sweetest thing ever? I was looking at the first pics and thought, "Hey! She's in my beauty shop! lol!"

Thanks for the VERY thorough pictorial. Very nice.

Ediese

Ooooh, it's so pretty. I like the versatility and I think as you get used to it it'll get even better. Do you remember what temperature he used on his flatiron? Isn't he the sweetest thing ever? I was looking at the first pics and thought, "Hey! She's in my beauty shop! lol!"

Thanks for the VERY thorough pictorial. Very nice.

Yep, he's a total sweetie. I love his accent. I think he had me cracking up the entire time giving me a rundown of his clubbing experiences. lol

We had it on 410 in the beginning, but he had to do too many passes, so he changed it to 450 with less passes. Yea, I think it'll take some getting use to. I just love the thought of my hair being so soft and not tangling anymore.

Kneechay

Hey Ediese,

You know i love your hair and thanks so much for taking time out to post the pics. Your hair looks great regardless, but your pre-BKT curls and hair were killer. What issues did you have because of the curls that made you feel you needed a BKT ? Also, what kind of things do you have to do for maintenance? Protein treatments, more moisture; did your stylist tell you what you'd need to do?

Last edited:

Ediese

Hey Ediese,

You know i love your hair and thanks so much for taking time out to post the pics. Your hair looks great regardless, but your pre-BKT curls were killer. What issues did you have because of the curls that made you feel you needed a BKT ? Also, what kind of things do you have to do for maintenance? Protein treatments, more moisture; did your stylist tell you what you'd need to do?

Thanks! I think because of the way my natural curls are formed and clumped together, it causes my hair to tangle a lot. As my hair got longer, the tangles got worse, which of course resulted in single strand knots. I wanted something that would allow me to cowash, and wet bun without having to worry about spending a lot of time detangling or cutting knots. :nono: Also, having read about how smooth, soft and strong my hair could be, I decided to go for it. Post treatment, my curls are not as uniformed, but I love that my hair is so soft and no longer dry. For the first time ever, I was able to air dry without product and my hair was still soft. :yep:

If I could have kept my curls and gotten all the other benefits, I would give this an A+. I'm going to see how my hair holds up and whether or not the curls revert 100% before getting another treatment. I think the best thing about it is that it's not permanent, so I can decide either way.

As far as maintenance, I have the shampoo and conditioner that I'm suppose to use. It has to be sodium chloride free. I'm planning on upping my steam treatment because of the permanent color that I did, but that's about it.