My Curlformer review

lovegymnasts

I got them in the mail on Friday and put them in on Sunday (wash day).

I had a few rough spots putting them in but for the most part it was easy. It took about an hour to 1 1/2 hours to detangle and put them in (40 extra long and wide)

Tips

1. Use small sections
  2. Twist the root of the hair
  3. Make sure every strand in that section is in the hook before pulling
    1. if not ,your hair is going to get tangled and caught in the hook
  4. Make sure the end of the curlformer is over the hook and against the scalp before pulling
    1. if not, the hook and the curlformer will get caught in each other
Disappointments

1. Hurt to sleep on; very uncomfortable to sleep in
  2. I finished putting them in at 3 pm and about 1/4 of the sections where not dry by 6 am the next morning so ended up with some frizzing; I sat under the dryer this morning for 15-20 minutes and it still was not dry
    1. when I got home today, I put the sections into twists because I could not see it lasting more than one day
    2. I know that I will either need 24 hours to dry or I will have to stay under the dryer for a good while; I will use the dryer because I do not want to sleep in them again
Pluses

1. My hair was uber soft. I did not do anything different when I moisturized. I realized that perceived softness is different between stretched hair and kinky hair.
  2. I received tons of compliments
    1. 4 - hair touchers
    2. 1 - what you mixed with? you got Indian in you?
      1. I asked him, "Why if a black woman has some length, she got to be mixed with something?" He said he knew I would say that and we ended up laughing.
    3. 1 - are you wearing extensions?
    4. 5 - your hair has grown/your hair's long
Conclusion:
I will use again on special occasions.
I will use a dryer. I refuse to sleep in them again.
I like the way my hair felt and looked
I might use some setting lotion next time but I don't like my hair to be stiff.

I didn't get any good pictures but here are some:

Attachments

• Curlformers.jpg
    Curlformers.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Photo1846.jpg
    Photo1846.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Photo1851.jpg
    Photo1851.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 105

ms.blue

I like the look but I read the horrors of curlformers and breakage which turned me off from them. Did you lose a lot of hair?

lovegymnasts

I like the look but I read the horrors of curlformers and breakage which turned me off from them. Did you lose a lot of hair?

I lost a little on one curlformer because I didn't get all of the hair inside the hook and I kept pulling instead of stopping and trying again.
It was my own fault.
Otherwise, no breakage.
If you make the sections small enough, there are no issues pulling the hair through. I think I need to get 8 more for a total of 48.

Enyo

I actually found the opposite. CFs are very gentle on my hair, and I have breakage issues. I find lots of people who suffer from breakage are not using them properly. I can see how some people would be tempted to yank and pull.

NaturalBoss

I've never used Curl Formers in my own hair but I have used them on my sisters hair in the past and she didn't have any breakage. What I don't like about them is they are not made for long hair.