My dandruff is telling me something.

CarLiTa

I started my haircare journey March 2005. From mid 2004, I had started exercising and getting more into healthy eating.
I used to take my dad's Centrum multivitamin and Vitamin C supplements. I was doing it because I figured since I'm exercising, maybe I need something for my joints or something:lol:

Pretty soon, though, my dandruff was gone.
My sister and I used to have terrible cases of dandruff when we were kids. People used to give us the old myth that your hair is growing when you have a lot of dandruff.
Yet, once I started taking the multivitamin, the dandruff stopped, and my scalp just seemed BALANCED: not dry, not oily. Just fine.
There are times along my haircare journey when it has gotten dry, but not the point of having HUGE flakes all over the place.

This past semester, during one week, I started getting HUMONGOUS flakes ALL over my head. This would even happen right after I washed my hair, too, so I know it wasn't dirt. I couldn't figure it out, until I remembered that I used to have a lot of dandruff before taking vitamins. I also realized that for the past 4 months, I had BARELY taken my multivitamins.
So, I started again, and the dandruff went away.

Earlier today, I spread my scalp to find a whole lot of dandruff again. I KNOW it's because I haven't been taking my vitamins in the past 2 weeks. I have none with me right now and I am out of the country. I am unfortunately not getting balanced meals right now to get all my nutrients.
I am waiting to go back to the states in 2 weeks to get back on a regular vitamin regimen and healthy eating to keep this dandruff at bay.

I think my body is trying to tell me that my health is to the level that it was before I got into all this healthy eating. I can feel it because I have been noticing some differences here and there. The dandruff seems to be a sign of vitamin deficiency, though I really do not know which vitamin it is.

CarLiTa

Why Vitamin B?

I know that my multivitamin has them, but I only remember taking the B-complex vitamins maybe for a month at the start of the hair journey.

gymfreak336

Its probably the zinc that is keeping your dandruff away. Zinc helps control oil production on your skin and scalp so the extra zinc you are getting from your vitamins is helping regulate and balance your scalp. Since you take a multi, I am going to guess that its giving you 15mg of zinc daily. Zinc is extremely benefical to hair and scalp. Lack of zinc has been linked to hair loss and women with PCOS should take a little extra since zinc helps fight off extra androgens.

CarLiTa

Thanks missvi and gymfreak!

I'm going to make sure that I take my vits this year. Since I posted, I've made a better effort to get more nutrients and things are getting better already:)
but vitamins are the way to go.

btw, most multi's don't have high biotin, but I think usually the daily value of biotin at they contain is usually at 13%