My discovery

sunshinebeautiful

After being on the boards about 2 years and obsessing with hair care. Guess what I found out?
ALL I NEEDED WAS PROTEIN!
Darn shame. plenty days of not combing cause my hair would break and come out. No detangling in shower cause of excessive hair loss.:nono: Cutting hair repeatly cause it was growing back thin. Cutting back to neck length.............. You know that song.YOU JUST DO YOU , I MA DO ME, I MA DO ME, IMA DO ME. That should have been out when I first started my journey. :wallbash: I made so many mistakes listening to people who swear protein is the enemy! My hair paid the price. I'm good now cause I have been rebuilding my hair every week with a good dose of protein reconstructor of some type in my mane and tail. The results has been strong hair that don't break and its not fragile anymore. :yep:I'm not afraid to put in a ponytail or style anymore.
Anyone else abused their hair by not using protein?
How long did it take you to figure it out?
Thanks

I have. I have fine hair and just figured out that my lack of progress is due to not using protein more regularly. :rolleyes:

I've been using Joico Kpak products to help strengthen my hair and it's been doing much better. :yep:

ETA: I've been on here for 2 years too. *hangs head in shame*

sunshinebeautiful

I'm about to up my protein usage big-time because I'm experiencing so much breakage. I didn't before because I didn't have a good moisturizing conditioner to combat the stiffness that the protein leaves in my hair. But now that I do, I'm all about some protein! :yep:

Try using a lighter protein every week instead like Nexxus Keraphix. It never leaves my hair hard or stiff.

Rain20

My fine hair loves protein also. I use egg in conditioner, aphogee 2 min reconstructor, or Mega-Tek. I switch it up. I have trouble with hydrolyzed collagen and sometimes certain products with hydrolyzed keratin. Maybe fine hair needs more protein.

blue_flower

I'm surprised that someone would say that protein is the enemy. We need it to rebuild and repair our bodies.

spacetygrss

My hair loves protein. I use JOICO Kpak reconstructor every other week and ORS Replenishing once a week (it's moisturizing but still has some protein) or Sebastian 2+1. Of course, I need moisturizing conditioners, but if I skip the protein it's a wrap. I might as well shave my head cuz my hair is not having it!

girlyprincess23

This happened to me because when I started I accidentally put myself into protein overload by dc with a protein dc that I thought was a moisturizing dc AND using Henna at the same time. So after I got out of protein overload I didnt wanna go near protein again and my hair paid the proce it took me almost 3/4 of a year to figure out protein was not the enemy!! But I am doing the same as you when I am not in braids I use L'anza's protein reconstructor weekly and that and their leave in has really turned my hair around. So....YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I was in Jersey City at one of the best BSS's I've come across. They have a long list of Dominican products and most everything you need. Well, I went to pick up my favorite Silicon Mix Deep Conditioner (in the tub) and discovered that they also have a Silicon Mix Protein Treatment, so I picked that up, too. I will pre-poo overnight on Saturday. Wake up on Sunday and do my protein, shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo, followed by my beloved Silicon Mix Deep Conditioning treatment. My hair has thanked me over and over again because I've finally figured out how I can achieve a healthy balance between protein-moisture. That is the key to health, growth and retention, especially during this cold, dry winter season.

Congratulations. It feels good, don't it? I hope you will keep us posted on your progress. :blowkiss:

Tigerlily25

My hair is weak, and brittle and so so so so so so THIN, Lawd-Gee-Sus :lachen:! Not quite bald, but a-hem yeah. Maybe there is something about protein for me too. This is all new and I don't know what hair product has protein from what doesn't? Do I simply look for the word PROTEIN on the label? Also, is Cholesterol a protein...? I bought four things (based on all the swearing up and down that they are GREAT) the other day... and I still don't know what's what.

Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Deep Con Mask - okay, I know it's a "DC" but does it have protein? I loved this one, by the way.

Lustrasilk Oilve Oil Cholesterol - I was washing this out until something said "read the label" duh... it's a leave-in, and I love the way my hair feels with this one.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Con Repair Cream - smells great but guess what....I hated it, way too thick and it weighed my hair down and made it a hard-cakey mess

Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer - hated it, sorry, again with the thickness, it was just way too thick for my frail thin strands... gorgeous smell though, sigh!

After learning about growth-aids (say What?!), and pouring over the LHCF messages, Google-ing, narrowing down the list to the best smelling one, and finally number-crunching, I decided on Mega-Tek. I ordered the Mega-Tek but I haven't received it yet. I'm hoping for the best results with this one.

Okay, what do I do? Do I scour the BSS aisle for PROTEIN splashed on the label? Also, what is a light protein and hard protein. Oh Lawd, my head is spinning and I have to go lie down now :perplexed .

sunshinebeautiful

My hair is weak, and brittle and so so so so so so THIN, Lawd-Gee-Sus :lachen:! Not quite bald, but a-hem yeah. Maybe there is something about protein for me too. This is all new and I don't know what hair product has protein from what doesn't? Do I simply look for the word PROTEIN on the label? Also, is Cholesterol a protein...? I bought four things (based on all the swearing up and down that they are GREAT) the other day... and I still don't know what's what.

Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Deep Con Mask - okay, I know it's a "DC" but does it have protein? I loved this one, by the way.

Lustrasilk Oilve Oil Cholesterol - I was washing this out until something said "read the label" duh... it's a leave-in, and I love the way my hair feels with this one.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Con Repair Cream - smells great but guess what....I hated it, way too thick and it weighed my hair down and made it a hard-cakey mess

Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer - hated it, sorry, again with the thickness, it was just way too thick for my frail thin strands... gorgeous smell though, sigh!

After learning about growth-aids (say What?!), and pouring over the LHCF messages, Google-ing, narrowing down the list to the best smelling one, and finally number-crunching, I decided on Mega-Tek. I ordered the Mega-Tek but I haven't received it yet. I'm hoping for the best results with this one.

Okay, what do I do? Do I scour the BSS aisle for PROTEIN splashed on the label? Also, what is a light protein and hard protein. Oh Lawd, my head is spinning and I have to go lie down now :perplexed .

The search feature is not working right now, but I believe there are several older threads that break down a list of moisture and protein conditioners.

Cholesterol is moisture, from what I've heard. Not sure about the Pantene Mask... I think it's mostly moisturizing.

A light protein conditioner is, for example, Motions Silk Protein conditioner, CPR treatment or Nexxus Keraphix.

A hard protein is Aphogee 2-step treatment or Nexxus Emergencee.

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it to the experts to break it down for you. :lachen:

Tigerlily25

The search feature is not working right now, but I believe there are several older threads that break down a list of moisture and protein conditioners.

Cholesterol is moisture, from what I've heard. Not sure about the Pantene Mask... I think it's mostly moisturizing.

A light protein conditioner is, for example, Motions Silk Protein conditioner, CPR treatment or Nexxus Keraphix.

A hard protein is Aphogee 2-step treatment or Nexxus Emergencee.

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it to the experts to break it down for you. :lachen:

Wow, it looks like I got it all wrong going with all things MOISTURE! Thanks for helping me out. I forgot to mention about the Castor Oil, .. don't get me started. I had high high hopes for this one because I prefer using natural products but my hair balled up into one giant knot as if it was scouring at me. My face thanks me for it though, so it wasn't a complete loss. My skin feels so soft :rolleyes: with the Castor Oil.

The thing is that my hair does grow... and grow past SL...it's just that anything past SL is where the string thing begins... it's so thin and brittle that I usually end up just cutting it off, which is usually two to three inches by then :wallbash: . AND I really hate to cut it but what choice do I have? It's so embarrassing (my mom calls them "the strings") because there is an obvious line of demarcation ...You can literally see where the regular thin hair ends (right at SL of course) and where the string-thing begins. Yeah, it's that bad.

Mega-Tek is Protein, Right? Please tell me I got that one right?!? I'm going back to the BSS armed with your list. Thanking you in my sleep tonight :2cool: .

Last edited:

bbdgirl

I'm surprised that someone would say that protein is the enemy. We need it to rebuild and repair our bodies.

it wasn't just one someone...many ladies feel that protein is the enemy or say that their hair doesn't like protein, but everyone's hair different. I am just glad that I didn't stay away too long.

Patricia

Wow that's funny because I just posted in another thread how I planned on using Joico K pak on my natural hair every week because I'm just realizing that I may have naturally weaker hair that's just more prone to breakage even if I don't relax, use heat,etc. Since using Joico products my hair doesn't feel as delicate, I can only imagine the lengths I'll be able to get incorporating this stuff.

I know what you mean though when I first came here I jumped on every bandwagon and ruined my hair even more:blush: I was afraid of the protein overload stories so I steered clear and decided to do low mani instead which was a mistake cuz I had so MANY knots and tangles and I'm thinking "I should be able to comb my hair whenever I want without issues, this is ridiculous!"

I know it took 2 years for you but at least you found it, now you can grow to greater lengths!:yep:
I was so depressed cause it seemed like my hair was in better shape before the boards. This experience was a blessing because I now know about my hair. I thought I knew about my hair before the boards. No more bandwagons for me ever ever ever ever.............

Patricia

Patricia,

This hair journey is such a trial-and-error thing sometimes. Very cool that you have been able to discover the right elements for getting and keeping your hair in top shape. :yep: I know it feels great!
OMG I owe you big time. :grin::grin:I was reading your post about the solutions for breakage. I finally saw the light. My eyes was opened and discovered I needed protein. THANKS FOR EVERYTHING SUPERGIRL:dance7:

AtlantaJJ

My hair loves protein. I use JOICO Kpak reconstructor every other week and ORS Replenishing once a week (it's moisturizing but still has some protein) or Sebastian 2+1. Of course, I need moisturizing conditioners, but if I skip the protein it's a wrap. I might as well shave my head cuz my hair is not having it!
I have to dust off my 2+1 :yep:

Luscious Locks

my hair loves protein too. and i even think it likes heat. not excessive heat of course, but i think i've taken this hair protecting thing too far. i'm about to be relaxing more often, using more protein, and I'll only be airdrying in the last 3 weeks of my 7-8 week relaxer stretch because my hair behaves best when i do that.

anniev2

my hair loves protein too. and i even think it likes heat. not excessive heat of course, but i think i've taken this hair protecting thing too far. i'm about to be relaxing more often, using more protein, and I'll only be airdrying in the last 3 weeks of my 7-8 week relaxer stretch because my hair behaves best when i do that.

:goodpost:

luscious: sounds like you have a good handle on your plans. that's really good. its nothing like knowing what you need for your hair and not having to experiment to get it.

All: Question about spongy feeling hair. Several of you said that your hair feels spongy when it needs protein. What are other symptoms, most common? Can someone give me a further explanation of spongy feeling hair?

The Savvy Sistah

I discovered this a few months ago too. I'm natural with fine, thin hair and the moisture from the co-washes was too much. Protein is not the problem but too much of it can become one.

The Savvy Sistah

:goodpost:

luscious: sounds like you have a good handle on your plans. that's really good. its nothing like knowing what you need for your hair and not having to experiment to get it.

All: Question about spongy feeling hair. Several of you said that your hair feels spongy when it needs protein. What are other symptoms, most common? Can someone give me a further explanation of spongy feeling hair?

For me when I pull a strand of hair and it stretches to much, I know I'm headed toward moisture overload.

hillytmj

This is a great thread. As I'm becoming more in tune with my hair, I'm realizing that I have experienced breakage rather than shedding. It's not all over the sink, but I figured out that it's "broken" hair and not "shed" hair by the length.

When I went to my stylist on a weekly basis, she always used a protein/moisture combo as a DC for me. My hair thrived. I want to use the Affirm 5-in-1-Reconstructor that she uses, but I'm having a hard time getting my hands on it since i'm not a stylist. She uses this as a DC after a relaxer. On wash day, she would mix it some Keracare Humecto.

I don't recall every having any breakage then (with the protein/moisture combo).

Patricia

So glad you found this out! I know your hair must feel really good right now! I remember there was like a "protein backlash" and everyone was swearing up and down that protein was the debil. her methods make sense to me and works for me. I now have upped my pThe light bulb went off for me after revisiting supergirls' thread and rereading Cathy Howses' book. I know Cathy is NOT popular in these circles but rotein treatments and you know what? My hair is thanking me right now! I think it's so critical to use protein especially during the winter months when the windy weather can wreak serious havoc on your strands.

OP, maybe you should create a challenge about weekly protein usage:yep:.
TOLD YOU SUPERGIRL, WE OWE YOU BIG TIME:band2:

THATS A CHALLENGE I WILL JOIN. THANK YOU SO MUCH HEALTHB4LENGTH

Patricia

You know what - you just made me have a lightbulb moment too :bighug:
I've been really leery of using too much protein too, (been on my hair journey for just under 8 months now). I've been focusing on trying to repair my moisture level after years of neglect, but I've been experiencing breakage lately that's driving me bananas :freakout: and I think upping my protein level would help alot.

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. I was so focused on moisture and my hair weakened everyday. I have since cut my moisture down to a few times a week. :grin: Thats what I'm talking bout. Learn from my mistake!:wallbash:

Patricia

My hair has never responded well to hard proteins like Aphoghee but I'm about to search until I find something that will work because I've been experiencing a little breakage here and there...when I comb my hair I see little pieces of hair (about a half inch long)...I know they've snapped off my ends. I need to nip it in the butt before I experience a major setback. I just recently bought CON's Reconstructor. I'm hoping that I'll have good results.
I have used aphoghee 2 step also but I got turned off when my breakage would reoccur. Now I just put a dose of protein reconstructor of some sort in my weekly routine. Aphogee is a good product but sometimes you can get a protein overload off it. Let me know how the CON Reconstructor works for you . GVP/Joico kpac and ultrasheen duotex is good also.