My discovery

Artemis

The search feature is not working right now, but I believe there are several older threads that break down a list of moisture and protein conditioners.

Cholesterol is moisture, from what I've heard. Not sure about the Pantene Mask... I think it's mostly moisturizing.

A light protein conditioner is, for example, Motions Silk Protein conditioner, CPR treatment or Nexxus Keraphix.

A hard protein is Aphogee 2-step treatment or Nexxus Emergencee.

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it to the experts to break it down for you. :lachen:

Cholesterol is a special one--I consider this a fatty treatment. You know like when people feel they need more ceramides (which are lipids). Lipids are just as important as protein and moisture, supporting the cuticle layer. They give moisture, but moreso pliability. Some cholesterol treatments contain collagen too, so that's where the strength comes from. So yeah, I consider cholesterols to be in their own category, but hey JMO.

Patricia

2 YEARS!!! I'm so sorry it took that long.

Thank goodness one of the first things I discovered through LHCF was SistaSlick's article on protein-moisture balance.

But I remember how happy i was to have made that discovery and felt the difference in my hair, so CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I use moisture/protein balanced conditioners and spray bottle mixes. If I ever do a pure moisture step, my hair gets spongy!!
I read the article too! It didn't click with me. Of course it makes sence to me now. :grin:

BillyJay

I love protein!
Sometimes I use protein straight (wheat or Soy) after I shampoo.
I just pour t over my hair as a rinse and let it sit for a while. Then I follow up with a moisturizing/protein free conditioner.

Because I use lots of heat, it saves my hair from damage.

Before, I didnt use alot of protein because I was natural, but now that I'm relaxed, its an important part of my reggie.

Patricia

I'm not experiencing any breakage but my hair is mushy. After reading this thread, I've decided to try a protein treatment. I am afraid to, but I will never know if protein is what my hair truly needs unless I try.
Sallys have a product you might want to try GVP/joico kpac. Its reasonably priced and contain human hair keratin protein which is considered the closes match to our hair. That means it will actually bond and repair damaged hair

Patricia

Thats how i feel everytime i see a blog about protein knocking...My hair loves it i use nexxus emergencee every 2 weeks...my hair is always soft...i think is about which hard protein suits your hair not all are the same....this is what i think helps me retain...
And your hair is quite beautiful. I've been hearing good things about nexxus emergencee. This means a lot to hear from all you ladies:bouncy:

Patricia

well my hair wasnt breaking or anything but i did notice a huge difference when i used protein weekly instead of just moisture.
my hair is fine as weel and it just love protein. espe. joico reconstructore, aphogee shampoo and 2 minute conditioner and ORS replenishing pak.
Thanks , You summed it up right "HUGE DIFFERENCE"

Patricia

you may not need a hard/heavy protein but just more treatments of light/medium protein treatments.
I don't use the 2-step Ahpogee but the 2 minute Aphogee treatment, it is very effective.
They are others to try like:
Motions CPR
Profectiv Growth Masque
Joico Daily Moisture
I also went back to Coconut oil, this is a light protein as well
I AGREE. That was my problem turning to strickly hard core instead of a moderate dose every week.

Prose Princess

Sorry to keep asking all of these questions, but would Duo Tex be considered a hard protein treatment? I'm planning on improving my protein stash today and I need a hard protein for my collection. Also, where does ORS Hair Mayo place? Medium? Help! Btw, I'm getting Motions Silk Protein and CPR for light. TIA!

Patricia

I have. I have fine hair and just figured out that my lack of progress is due to not using protein more regularly. :rolleyes:

I've been using Joico Kpak products to help strengthen my hair and it's been doing much better. :yep:

ETA: I've been on here for 2 years too. *hangs head in shame*
:woot:Only one direction now! UP. Joico kpak really strengthens

Patricia

Sorry to keep asking all of these questions, but would Duo Tex be considered a hard protein treatment? I'm planning on improving my protein stash today and I need a hard protein for my collection. Also, where does ORS Hair Mayo place? Medium? Help! Btw, I'm getting Motions Silk Protein and CPR for light. TIA!
No you not asking to many questions. This thread is to help you NOT do what I did. Hopefully this answer helps you. DuoTex for me is a big bottle of inexpensive treatment from goodness. It cost 5bucks for 32oz. I would consider it a moderate to hardcore protein because my hair felt silky and strong. I didn't use a moisturizing conditioner afterward but thats me. I use it full strength but I plan on putting some in my mane and tail like I do my other reconstructors everyweek. I have ORS MAYO and I would say medium. Havent tried Motions Silk Protein. I'm curious myself. Hopefully someone else can help. What is CPR?

Patricia

Try using a lighter protein every week instead like Nexxus Keraphix. It never leaves my hair hard or stiff.
You right I use to use this back in the day. very good protein conditioner. i bought it just because. i didn't know a thing about protein moisture!:lachen: a nice strong feeling to hair.

Patricia

My fine hair loves protein also. I use egg in conditioner, aphogee 2 min reconstructor, or Mega-Tek. I switch it up. I have trouble with hydrolyzed collagen and sometimes certain products with hydrolyzed keratin. Maybe fine hair needs more protein.
:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: you on the right track

Prose Princess

Motions CPR (Critical Protection & Repair). It's a mild protein conditioner that comes in a jar. That used to be the only DC I used, because it was really moisturizing. What is your favorite light protein, Patricia?

Patricia

Motions CPR (Critical Protection & Repair). It's a mild protein conditioner that comes in a jar. That used to be the only DC I used, because it was really moisturizing. What is your favorite light protein, Patricia?
Mane and Tail but I'm wondering if that counts cause I never used it alone. I always add some kind of reconstructor to it.

Patricia

My hair loves protein. I use JOICO Kpak reconstructor every other week and ORS Replenishing once a week (it's moisturizing but still has some protein) or Sebastian 2+1. Of course, I need moisturizing conditioners, but if I skip the protein it's a wrap. I might as well shave my head cuz my hair is not having it![/quote]
:lachen:Thats funny

Patricia

This happened to me because when I started I accidentally put myself into protein overload by dc with a protein dc that I thought was a moisturizing dc AND using Henna at the same time. So after I got out of protein overload I didnt wanna go near protein again and my hair paid the proce it took me almost 3/4 of a year to figure out protein was not the enemy!! But I am doing the same as you when I am not in braids I use L'anza's protein reconstructor weekly and that and their leave in has really turned my hair around. So....YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!

I did the same thing! That why I'm so happy now. I'm feeling you when you say. I'm not alone

:circle:

Patricia

I was in Jersey City at one of the best BSS's I've come across. They have a long list of Dominican products and most everything you need. Well, I went to pick up my favorite Silicon Mix Deep Conditioner (in the tub) and discovered that they also have a Silicon Mix Protein Treatment, so I picked that up, too. I will pre-poo overnight on Saturday. Wake up on Sunday and do my protein, shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo, followed by my beloved Silicon Mix Deep Conditioning treatment. My hair has thanked me over and over again because I've finally figured out how I can achieve a healthy balance between protein-moisture. That is the key to health, growth and retention, especially during this cold, dry winter season.

Congratulations. It feels good, don't it? I hope you will keep us posted on your progress. :blowkiss:
YES MAAM IT DOES FEEL GOOD:cup:

Patricia

My hair is weak, and brittle and so so so so so so THIN, Lawd-Gee-Sus :lachen:! Not quite bald, but a-hem yeah. Maybe there is something about protein for me too. This is all new and I don't know what hair product has protein from what doesn't? Do I simply look for the word PROTEIN on the label? Also, is Cholesterol a protein...? I bought four things (based on all the swearing up and down that they are GREAT) the other day... and I still don't know what's what.

Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Deep Con Mask - okay, I know it's a "DC" but does it have protein? I loved this one, by the way.

Lustrasilk Oilve Oil Cholesterol - I was washing this out until something said "read the label" duh... it's a leave-in, and I love the way my hair feels with this one.

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in Con Repair Cream - smells great but guess what....I hated it, way too thick and it weighed my hair down and made it a hard-cakey mess

Elasta QP Mango Butter Moisturizer - hated it, sorry, again with the thickness, it was just way too thick for my frail thin strands... gorgeous smell though, sigh!

After learning about growth-aids (say What?!), and pouring over the LHCF messages, Google-ing, narrowing down the list to the best smelling one, and finally number-crunching, I decided on Mega-Tek. I ordered the Mega-Tek but I haven't received it yet. I'm hoping for the best results with this one.

Okay, what do I do? Do I scour the BSS aisle for PROTEIN splashed on the label? Also, what is a light protein and hard protein. Oh Lawd, my head is spinning and I have to go lie down now :perplexed .

HONEY DON'T GET OVERWHELMED. THATS WHY YOU HERE. Go to my fotki Journal and read the section on hair care. Its describing the different types of proteins for hair. I have included some protein conditioners and the type of protein it has in it. I'm not finish compiling a list of protein products and the type. Maybe it will be a start for you to understand what to look for on labels. I don't know anything about Megatek but what I heard it has a lot of protein in it and makes your hair shed. Ladies that use megatek take garlic pills to help with shedding. Its other precautions to do check with the users before you try.
My understanding a couple cholestrol products have protein it it. Cholestrol is not a protein but it makes you hair feel good.:grin:.
Do you have a fotki? If so I'll check you out and leave feedback

Patricia

The search feature is not working right now, but I believe there are several older threads that break down a list of moisture and protein conditioners.

Cholesterol is moisture, from what I've heard. Not sure about the Pantene Mask... I think it's mostly moisturizing.

A light protein conditioner is, for example, Motions Silk Protein conditioner, CPR treatment or Nexxus Keraphix.

A hard protein is Aphogee 2-step treatment or Nexxus Emergencee.

There are a lot more, but I'll leave it to the experts to break it down for you. :lachen:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE IF YOU FIND IT CAN YOU POST IT OR SEND IT TO ME

Patricia

it wasn't just one someone...many ladies feel that protein is the enemy or say that their hair doesn't like protein, but everyone's hair different. I am just glad that I didn't stay away too long.
PRIME EXAMPLE THIS THREAD. THANKS:grin:

Patricia

my hair loves protein too. and i even think it likes heat. not excessive heat of course, but i think i've taken this hair protecting thing too far. i'm about to be relaxing more often, using more protein, and I'll only be airdrying in the last 3 weeks of my 7-8 week relaxer stretch because my hair behaves best when i do that.

GOOD TO KNOW:grin:

Patricia

:goodpost:

luscious: sounds like you have a good handle on your plans. that's really good. its nothing like knowing what you need for your hair and not having to experiment to get it.

All: Question about spongy feeling hair. Several of you said that your hair feels spongy when it needs protein. What are other symptoms, most common? Can someone give me a further explanation of spongy feeling hair?
SPONGY TO ME IS WET HAIR THAT COMES OUT IN YOUR HANDS FROM THE ROOTS. WEAK.... NOT STRONG