My discovery

Patricia

After being on the boards about 2 years and obsessing with hair care. Guess what I found out?
ALL I NEEDED WAS PROTEIN!
Darn shame. plenty days of not combing cause my hair would break and come out. No detangling in shower cause of excessive hair loss.:nono: Cutting hair repeatly cause it was growing back thin. Cutting back to neck length.............. You know that song.YOU JUST DO YOU , I MA DO ME, I MA DO ME, IMA DO ME. That should have been out when I first started my journey. :wallbash: I made so many mistakes listening to people who swear protein is the enemy! My hair paid the price. I'm good now cause I have been rebuilding my hair every week with a good dose of protein reconstructor of some type in my mane and tail. The results has been strong hair that don't break and its not fragile anymore. :yep:I'm not afraid to put in a ponytail or style anymore.
Anyone else abused their hair by not using protein?
How long did it take you to figure it out?
Thanks

silkii_locks

Join the club girl. My hair kneels downs and thanks me every time I use anything with protein in it. I have dense hair with fine strands and it just loves protein. Glad you finally found what works.:yep:

Brooklyn72

What made you finally decide to use protein? I know you are sick that it took 2 years before you realized protein wasn't the enemy.
OT- your hair is pretty, I love your curls! Did henna cover your gray hair?

Patricia

What made you finally decide to use protein? I know you are sick that it took 2 years before you realized protein wasn't the enemy.
OT- your hair is pretty, I love your curls! Did henna cover your gray hair?
After reading supergirls post about breakage. A bell went off in my head and I knew I needed to use protein but I took it to another level and started using it every week. A big hug to supergirl
Thanks for the kind words, henna did cover my gray but it turned it bright orange. I used bigen to cover the orange.

Last edited:

Prose Princess

I'm about to up my protein usage big-time because I'm experiencing so much breakage. I didn't before because I didn't have a good moisturizing conditioner to combat the stiffness that the protein leaves in my hair. But now that I do, I'm all about some protein! :yep:

Patricia

I'm about to up my protein usage big-time because I'm experiencing so much breakage. I didn't before because I didn't have a good moisturizing conditioner to combat the stiffness that the protein leaves in my hair. But now that I do, I'm all about some protein! :yep:
Please try to catch it now. I would do the aphogee 2 step every so often then back away from protein again. I didn't realize my hair needed a dose of protein every week. Another thing I didn't mention, If I moisturize everyday my hair becomes weak again. So I only moisturize 2X a week

JessCNU

I love protein!! My hair can't live without it. I use my Aphogee 2 min once a week and my Aphogee Hard protein treatment every 10-14 weeks.

charmtreese

It took me about 2 yrs also to realize that my hair was craving protein. I now use nexxus emergencee weekly.

Junebug D

Yes, my hair started breaking like crazy after I had it straightened. I used the Aphogee 2-minute thing Wednesday night, and breakage is gone! :yep:

bbdgirl

great thread!
I discovered that my hair loves protein as well a few months ago. I used to use Aphogee 2 minute treatment every two weeks and then...well I just forgot and stopped. I was washing my hair and it felt very, very spongy and I was thinking of cutting off about 3-4 inches b/c I thought they were just overprocessed from my pre-LHCF days. Then I heard someone mention Aphogee and I realized that I hadn't used my trusty bottle in months.
I DCed for 45 minutes with heat with the Aphogee 2 min and Suave Humecto and my hair felt brand new! I couln't believe it. It was so strong, soft, silky and best of all not SPONGY!! Yay!!
So I use protein regularly, my hair loves it and doesn't feel dry and brittle and I always back it up with moisturizing cond.

I had even added MegaTek to my regime and my hair is strong and not brittle. But does shed like crazy.

We just have to remember that everyone's hair is different because protein is my friend!!

Sorry for the long post but for the first time in months I am in love with my hair again!

Patricia

great thread!
I discovered that my hair loves protein as well a few months ago. I used to use Aphogee 2 minute treatment every two weeks and then...well I just forgot and stopped. I was washing my hair and it felt very, very spongy and I was thinking of cutting off about 3-4 inches b/c I thought they were just overprocessed from my pre-LHCF days. Then I heard someone mention Aphogee and I realized that I hadn't used my trusty bottle in months.
I DCed for 45 minutes with heat with the Aphogee 2 min and Suave Humecto and my hair felt brand new! I couln't believe it. It was so strong, soft, silky and best of all not SPONGY!! Yay!!
So I use protein regularly, my hair loves it and doesn't feel dry and brittle and I always back it up with moisturizing cond.

I had even added MegaTek to my regime and my hair is strong and not brittle. But does shed like crazy.

We just have to remember that everyone's hair is different because protein is my friend!!

Sorry for the long post but for the first time in months I am in love with my hair again!
I'M JUMPING UP AND DOWN KNOWING I'M NOT ALONE. I'M HOPING THIS THREAD HELPS SOMEONE.

Muse

OMG YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL! I USE EITHER JOICO KPAK RECONSTRUCTOR OR DUOTEX EVERY WEEK
THANKS

Wow that's funny because I just posted in another thread how I planned on using Joico K pak on my natural hair every week because I'm just realizing that I may have naturally weaker hair that's just more prone to breakage even if I don't relax, use heat,etc. Since using Joico products my hair doesn't feel as delicate, I can only imagine the lengths I'll be able to get incorporating this stuff.

I know what you mean though when I first came here I jumped on every bandwagon and ruined my hair even more:blush: I was afraid of the protein overload stories so I steered clear and decided to do low mani instead which was a mistake cuz I had so MANY knots and tangles and I'm thinking "I should be able to comb my hair whenever I want without issues, this is ridiculous!"

I know it took 2 years for you but at least you found it, now you can grow to greater lengths!:yep:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Patricia,

This hair journey is such a trial-and-error thing sometimes. Very cool that you have been able to discover the right elements for getting and keeping your hair in top shape. :yep: I know it feels great!

Healthb4Length

So glad you found this out! I know your hair must feel really good right now! I remember there was like a "protein backlash" and everyone was swearing up and down that protein was the debil. The light bulb went off for me after revisiting supergirls' thread and rereading Cathy Howses' book. I know Cathy is NOT popular in these circles but her methods make sense to me and works for me. I now have upped my protein treatments and you know what? My hair is thanking me right now! I think it's so critical to use protein especially during the winter months when the windy weather can wreak serious havoc on your strands.

OP, maybe you should create a challenge about weekly protein usage:yep:.

200AndOne

You know what - you just made me have a lightbulb moment too :bighug:
I've been really leery of using too much protein too, (been on my hair journey for just under 8 months now). I've been focusing on trying to repair my moisture level after years of neglect, but I've been experiencing breakage lately that's driving me bananas :freakout: and I think upping my protein level would help alot.

Solitude

Yeah, sometimes it's something super-simple. For me, it was realizing that direct heat every day is bad & that putting grease on my scalp is a no-no (for me, at least).

LivingDoll

My hair has never responded well to hard proteins like Aphoghee but I'm about to search until I find something that will work because I've been experiencing a little breakage here and there...when I comb my hair I see little pieces of hair (about a half inch long)...I know they've snapped off my ends. I need to nip it in the butt before I experience a major setback. I just recently bought CON's Reconstructor. I'm hoping that I'll have good results.

FluffyRed

2 YEARS!!! I'm so sorry it took that long.

Thank goodness one of the first things I discovered through LHCF was SistaSlick's article on protein-moisture balance.

But I remember how happy i was to have made that discovery and felt the difference in my hair, so CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I use moisture/protein balanced conditioners and spray bottle mixes. If I ever do a pure moisture step, my hair gets spongy!!

isawstars

I'm not experiencing any breakage but my hair is mushy. After reading this thread, I've decided to try a protein treatment. I am afraid to, but I will never know if protein is what my hair truly needs unless I try.

gissellr78

After being on the boards about 2 years and obsessing with hair care. Guess what I found out?
ALL I NEEDED WAS PROTEIN!
Darn shame. plenty days of not combing cause my hair would break and come out. No detangling in shower cause of excessive hair loss.:nono: Cutting hair repeatly cause it was growing back thin. Cutting back to neck length.............. You know that song.YOU JUST DO YOU , I MA DO ME, I MA DO ME, IMA DO ME. That should have been out when I first started my journey. :wallbash: I made so many mistakes listening to people who swear protein is the enemy! My hair paid the price. I'm good now cause I have been rebuilding my hair every week with a good dose of protein reconstructor of some type in my mane and tail. The results has been strong hair that don't break and its not fragile anymore. :yep:I'm not afraid to put in a ponytail or style anymore.
Anyone else abused their hair by not using protein?
How long did it take you to figure it out?
Thanks

Thats how i feel everytime i see a blog about protein knocking...My hair loves it i use nexxus emergencee every 2 weeks...my hair is always soft...i think is about which hard protein suits your hair not all are the same....this is what i think helps me retain...

chebaby

well my hair wasnt breaking or anything but i did notice a huge difference when i used protein weekly instead of just moisture.
my hair is fine as weel and it just love protein. espe. joico reconstructore, aphogee shampoo and 2 minute conditioner and ORS replenishing pak.

bbdgirl

My hair has never responded well to hard proteins like Aphoghee but I'm about to search until I find something that will work because I've been experiencing a little breakage here and there...when I comb my hair I see little pieces of hair (about a half inch long)...I know they've snapped off my ends. I need to nip it in the butt before I experience a major setback. I just recently bought CON's Reconstructor. I'm hoping that I'll have good results.

you may not need a hard/heavy protein but just more treatments of light/medium protein treatments.
I don't use the 2-step Ahpogee but the 2 minute Aphogee treatment, it is very effective.
They are others to try like:
Motions CPR
Profectiv Growth Masque
Joico Daily Moisture
I also went back to Coconut oil, this is a light protein as well