My edges are breaking from bunning/Protective Styling

Innocent_Kiss

*sigh* I've been switching between a clip on bun and long ponytail for protective styling. I'm beginning to see breakage on both my sides and in the back. I baggy my ends with Elasta QP Mango Butter, ApHogee Reconstructor Spray and Olive Oil.

I'm essentially following lexi84's regimen when she went from necklength to BSL.

One additional culprit is my wild sleeping. I can use a satin scarf AND bonnett, and both will be on the floor before morning :nono: I pulled out my satin pillowcase but even that may end up on the floor :lol: I did notice that during the night, I felt tugging/snapping of my hair, even on the satin case?

I'm started sleeping with a showercap last night. I moisturize with the QP Butter and seal w olive oil. My hair was noticeably softer by the A.M. How do I know which my hair needs more of (protein or moisture?) isn't there some type of strand test I can do?

Overall, I need a new protective style. Any suggestions?

Mrs. Verde

Are you pulling your hair tightly? Are you putting anything else on your hair like a hats or hoods? Are you putting anything on your edges?

Innocent_Kiss

Girl! I don't even know why I made this thread? I know exactly what's wrong.

I'm not switching positions enough. I usually wear it high. Secondly, I'm pulling my hair back too tightly. I hate sloppy, loose ponytails.

I'm gona stop for right now and do a rollerset and bantu knot-out for the next couple weeks until I find another style? A lacefront or something. Gota do some research.

LushLox

I was just going to say you need to ensure that you change the positions. I had such problems at my nape at the middle where I always put my bun - I don't anymore and my buns are always very loose, no tension at all.

achangedlife

Joyce Williams Hair Food grew my daughter edges back quickly and they don't seem to be as weak as before. It's a leave in conditioner and I sprayed it on her edges almost everyday.