My Findings - Chicken Grease and More!

danysedai

In Cuba we did the birth control pills in the shampoo, all my classmates did it white and black alike and also iodine in the oil treatment. warm olive oil (or plain oil) with an egg yolk added afterwards and a few drops of iodine,just a few. Many girls with healthy hair swore by that.

rawsilk

Bumping because: (a) I think that there are more people (from all cultures - Caribbean, Latin, Southern, etc.) using this (or something similar e.g., Crisco, Bacon grease, etc.) than we think and (b) although it's a similar source, it seems like a more humane use of an animal product compared to Emu oil. (Plus, Emu Ostrich feathers look a little puny compared to chicken feathers which tend to be shiny, strong -- just saying.) I'm also wondering if anyone has tried the birth control pills in conditioner or a natural alternative (e.g., phytoestrogens, etc.)

Anyone ready to 'fess up?

I have been a fan of animal products like butters, yogurts, milk, etc. so this is just the next natural progression.

krissyhair

I can't lie and say that the cold bacon grease didn't intrigue me in the pan before I threw it away. But I can't see a justification for crushing up medication like birth control and putting it in hair products. That stuff is expensive and too important.

rawsilk

Hilarious! Thank you for that laugh.
I can't lie and say that the cold bacon grease didn't intrigue me in the pan before I threw it away. But I can't see a justification for crushing up medication like birth control and putting it in hair products. That stuff is expensive and too important.

Last edited:

rawsilk

@danysedai What does the Iodine do? I found references to people using it to actually remove hair so it made me nervous.
In Cuba we did the birth control pills in the shampoo, all my classmates did it white and black alike and also iodine in the oil treatment. warm olive oil (or plain oil) with an egg yolk added afterwards and a few drops of iodine,just a few. Many girls with healthy hair swore by that.

Last edited:

danysedai

@danysedai What does the Iodine do? I found references to people using it to actually remove hair so it made me nervous.

It was always used in Cuba (iodine, "yodo", I've found some references to Betadine which contains iodine to help with hair loss and breakage. My mother and grandmother used to add 2 or 3 drops to honey, olive oil and 1 egg and do hot oil treatments with that. I remember that they took care not to add too much as they said it would damage the scalp, I don't know if it's true or not.

There's a thread on that
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=14060

rawsilk

Met a Cuban woman in Walmart who hipped me to egg/honey/olive oil mix. She said that combo is why Cubans (who rep 2(a) to 4(b) types and everything in between) usually have such beautiful hair. She didn't mention iodine though -- or maybe she didn't know the English translation or I didn't understand. Now that I think about it, I think she DID say something that I thought sounded like "yogurt." Perhaps she was saying "yodo." Anyway, thanks for the info and the thread.

It was always used in Cuba (iodine, "yodo", I've found some references to Betadine which contains iodine to help with hair loss and breakage. My mother and grandmother used to add 2 or 3 drops to honey, olive oil and 1 egg and do hot oil treatments with that. I remember that they took care not to add too much as they said it would damage the scalp, I don't know if it's true or not.

There's a thread on that
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=14060