My first Dominican salon experience with pictures!

I finally got the chance to experience a Dominican salon myself. I arrived at my 3pm appointment a bit early, but my stylist was able to get started right away. She shampooed my hair 3 times and even included a scalp massage. Following the last shampoo, she applied a cream to hair and placed a warm towel over my head. This, I would find out, would be my deep conditioner. After rinsing out the conditioner, she applied a silky leave-in and combed it though my hair. Then, it was time to roller-set my hair.

I was very surprised to see my hair in gray rollers. I thought my hair would be able to accommodate such a size. But then again, I’ve never tried these rollers. It took about 50 minutes for my hair to dry under what looked liked a Pibbs hair dryer. The heat under the dryer prepared me for what came next. After my rollers were removed, another girl proceeded to blow-out my hair. I originally wanted just my roots to be blown out, but the stylist did blew it straight. I though about reminding her, but I was curious about how it looked straight anyway. Yes, the blow dryer was HOT. I had to move my head away from the dryer a few times. At one point I saw smoke. At the end of the blow out she lightly applied CHI Silk Infusion, the one product I KNOW she put in my hair.

Then there was the finishing touch, my trim. I was nervous when she said I needed one., because I knew it was needed. I haven’t had the best experiences when it comes to stylists and trims. I once told my former stylist I wanted a trim and she cut FOUR INCHES! That’s why she’s my former stylist. I told her I wanted ½” cut and she did just that. It really made a difference in how my hair felt and moved. My hair moves with me and its so silky AND I’m 10 weeks post relaxer.

The total for my shampoo, deep condition, roller-set, blowout and trim: $ 35. I was so please with the results I actually tipped her $15.

PROS: The salon décor itself was clean, inviting and comfortable. The prices were reasonable and I can purchase Dominican salon product right there.

CONS: She used a very small comb while roller setting. Whether freshly relaxed or several weeks post, a small comb is a no-no. I can also see how a straight blow-out can be addictive and damaging. Its certainly something I wouldn’t want done regularly. I love my hair to have a slight curl. The language barrier is evident and it can be intimidating. I really wasn’t in a chatty mood today so it was perfect. Just let them know what you want and you’ll be fine.

I do plan to visit them again, sometime between August and October. I’m not sure if the shampoo and blow-out girl were stylists or just related/friends of the stylist who just knew how to do hair. I want to book an appointment with the owner next time. She spoke English fluently and will be able to understand a few needs of mine. Overall, I had a great experience and I cant stop playing with my hair.

By the way, here are some pictures. My hair looks slightly frizz because of today’s hot, humid and rainy weather:

My roots @ 10 weeks post relaxer:

My fingers @ bra clasp:

My hair up in a banana clip:

Thanks ladies! Now I know what the type is about these salons and I enjoyed it! Finding a Dominican salon in Jacksonville, Florida has been 4 years in the making. Now there are 2 that I know of in this area.

NuMe2004

Girl, your blowout is da bomb! Your hair is gorgeous!

I'll be in NY in August and am thinking about visiting a Dominican salon. I'm a little scared because of all the things folks have said about them (excess heat from blow dryer, use of tiny combs to detangle, etc.). Yet, I don't see how it can be more damaging than a press/flat iron.

Thanks so much for providing details of your experience!

wheezy807

i'm really lovin that second pic, hair looks so shiny and healthy. Happy you had a good experience;) .

lisana

Very nice resuls. i still can't beleive they can get those 10 week post roots so straight without a flat iron. I am going to have to try them one of these days.

The blow-out is even better on the second day! Last night before wrapping, I put a very small amount of oil on my ends. When I took it down this morning, it had even more movement and shine!

For anyone who has never been, when you get the chance, try a Dominican salon. I was nervous because I've heard both good and bad reviews. Your experience might be different than mine, and you never know until you try!

sunshinebeautiful

Mermaid0684 said:
Thanks ladies! Now I know what the type is about these salons and I enjoyed it! Finding a Dominican salon in Jacksonville, Florida has been 4 years in the making. Now there are 2 that I know of in this area.

There's a Dominican salon in Jacksonville, FL? Sending you a PM right now!

Thanks ladies! After my salon visit I went to my parents house to show my mother the results and she was amazed. Even my step-dad, who's a man of few words, liked my hair too. My mother has appointment today at 4. I'm not sure how she's going to like it though 'cause she's on the tender-headed side.