My first Henna! Thanks BostonMaria!!!

IndianAngel22

So I just recieved some Henna today from BostonMaria, thanks so much! This is my first time doing this and I'm a little nervous. Today was supposed to be my wash day and I thought it wouldn't get here until next week but it got here just in time! So I'm planning on mixing it today and applying it either tonight or in the morning. So, the Henna she sent me looks just like this package except.... My package says Supreme Reshma Henna, Full Full Colour....The design is the exact same though. Weird right?

So first I need info on this Henna.

1. What does Full Full Colour mean? Is my hair gonna dye red? I don't want my hair to change colors a lot....I was gonna use Jamilla Henna, I just don't know much about it
  2. It says mix in an iron bowl for dark color.... wuh?
  3. I have shoulder length hair, will half the package work?
  4. What's the best mix? I have a lime in my fridge, can I use that instead of lemon? Or what about apple cider vinegar?
I basically need all of your help and opinions and will post results when I have finished. Please help!

BostonMaria

You're welcome!!!!

Honestly I used the entire package (I'm BSL) and it was way too much. Try using half the package. Use hot water and don't use lemon juice. One lime is not going to do it because you need to add a liquid that will make the henna into a paste. It'll have the same consistency as mud. You will need to put it in a bowl - I use a glass bowl but any bowl will do. It will need to sit for a few hours so I leave it in a bowl and put it in a bag, then tie the bag up. You can also add some olive oil and honey to give it a better consistency. I do this at night and use the henna in the morning.

Its easier to apply to wet or damp hair. Part your hair in at least 4 sections and apply to your hair with your hand (wear gloves). Make sure every inch is covered in henna.

BTW it won't make your hair red. In the sun it'll have a nice red hue. You should take a sample with some hair you have on your brush. You will need to leave it on your hair for at least 4 hours to really feel the effects. Beware: Henna can feel very dry when you wash it off. Make sure to deep condition for an hour and moisturize like crazy.

Good luck!!!

Henna e-book: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahairbook/index.html

IndianAngel22

You're welcome!!!!

Honestly I used the entire package (I'm BSL) and it was way too much. Try using half the package. Use hot water and don't use lemon juice. One lime is not going to do it because you need to add a liquid that will make the henna into a paste. It'll have the same consistency as mud. You will need to put it in a bowl - I use a glass bowl but any bowl will do. It will need to sit for a few hours so I leave it in a bowl and put it in a bag, then tie the bag up. You can also add some olive oil and honey to give it a better consistency. I do this at night and use the henna in the morning.

Its easier to apply to wet or damp hair. Part your hair in at least 4 sections and apply to your hair with your hand (wear gloves). Make sure every inch is covered in henna.

BTW it won't make your hair red. In the sun it'll have a nice red hue. You should take a sample with some hair you have on your brush. You will need to leave it on your hair for at least 4 hours to really feel the effects. Beware: Henna can feel very dry when you wash it off. Make sure to deep condition for an hour and moisturize like crazy.

Good luck!!!

Henna e-book: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahairbook/index.html

Can I deep condition with ORS Replnishing? And, I don't have to add anything but water and maybe some olive oil or honey?

Angelicus

Hey! I know BostonMaria uses hot water but hot water gives my hair a brassy color, honestly. Since this henna is mixed with other herbs, maybe hot water will work. This is your first time using henna, so try mixing with only water first.

You don't have to use an iron bowl, I think indians use an iron pot because it oxidizes the henna? I really don't know. Use plastic tools.

Please do not shampoo your henna out. Make sure you have two bottles of cheapie conditioner on hand such as Suave or V05. When I have the henna in my hair, I dip my hair in a tub full of water to get the grit out... then I wash with the cheapie conditioners. HTH.

mj11051

You can also mix your henna with chamomile and lavender tea. It's very conditioning to your hair and it makes the henna easier to get out.

IndianAngel22

Hey! I know BostonMaria uses hot water but hot water gives my hair a brassy color, honestly. Since this henna is mixed with other herbs, maybe hot water will work. This is your first time using henna, so try mixing with only water first.

You don't have to use an iron bowl, I think indians use an iron pot because it oxidizes the henna? I really don't know. Use plastic tools.

Please do not shampoo your henna out. Make sure you have two bottles of cheapie conditioner on hand such as Suave or V05. When I have the henna in my hair, I dip my hair in a tub full of water to get the grit out... then I wash with the cheapie conditioners. HTH.

But I'm planning on straightening afterward.....And I haven't washed my hair. Should I shampoo first, Henna, deep condition, and then straighten after rinsing? I have some whole plain yogurt I could add to the mix....

Last edited:

BostonMaria

Did you read the henna for hair book yet? All the information you need is there.

Yes you can deep condition with anything you want afterwards.
I shampoo afterwards the henna out of my hair cuz it does take a while for the henna to completely come out. I say see how your hair reacts to the co-washing, if you need something stronger than add the shampoo. The water will be orange when you rinse it out, make sure you stop when the water is very light.

Don't bother shampooing first because your hair is going to be covered in mud. Just wet your hair & add conditioner. It just makes it easier to spread the henna on wet hair.

alexstin

What's the best mix? I have a lime in my fridge, can I use that instead of lemon? Or what about apple cider vinegar?

I wouldn't use any of these if I were you. You will get color without using it and it may dry your hair out terribly.

I'm too scared to use any sort of metal with my henna. I always mix in plastic bowl using a plastic spoon.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
HI! I boiled some water and let chamomile and RED tea sit and steeped until warm...NOT HOT. (I hear that adding boiling water may kill some of the HENNA properties, or make it harder to release color.) I want color and chamomile and RED teas help with the color release. If you don't want too much color, water will do just fine. I added to warm teas and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I let the HENNA sit overnight. It was so easy to apply that I DIDN'T even need newspapers. I simply applied the HENNA thoroughly to four parts of my hair evenly, making sure every strand is soaked in HENNA. I even had plenty left. I hate wasting it, but it's better to have too much rather than too little. I had excellent color release...a brownish/orange color. I am sitting under a heating cap with the HENNA covered with saran wrap and shower caps. I'll sit here for another 30 minutes, wash with a moisturizing shampoo (CON). Some people don't even use shampoo, just a moisturizing conditioner or deep moisturizing conditioner. It will be very easy to rinse out. Hopefully I'll get even more color and try to post pics after I'm done.

Hope this helps! :kiss:

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
What's the best mix? I have a lime in my fridge, can I use that instead of lemon? Or what about apple cider vinegar?

I wouldn't use any of these if I were you. You will get color without using it and it may dry your hair out terribly.

I'm too scared to use any sort of metal with my henna. I always mix in plastic bowl using a plastic spoon.

Yep. Use a plastic bowl, one that you don't mind staining. I never use ACV or lemon juice. Those are way too drying. I do use olive oil because it's easier to apply, plus olive oil is very good to your hair.

BostonMaria

Yep. Use a plastic bowl, one that you don't mind staining. I never use ACV or lemon juice. Those are way too drying. I do use olive oil because it's easier to apply, plus olive oil is very good to your hair.

Yeah unfortunately I didn't know this till maybe my 10th henna :perplexed
It was ok, just had to moisturize like CRAZY :spinning: because my hair was hella dry.

I'm going to use indigo next week to dye my hair black.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'm becoming such a pro at HENNAing that I don't need newspapers and don't need to worry about mess. Adding the olive oil and using chamomile in my mixture has helped tremendously. Chamomile is a softening agent and is excellent for locking in moisture. I can tell how good it is while mixing my HENNA. Using the tea and then adding about 2 tablespoons of olive oil works wonders. The consistency should resemble cake batter and not be soupy at all.

IndianAngel22

I wish I'd known the hot water thing first because last night I definatly put the hot water in the microwave and then pored it in there. IT's been sitting for longer than 24 hours cuz I didn't get to do my hair and probably won't get to until late tonight. How long should I leave it in now?

IndianAngel22

The Results are In! I have succesfully done my first Henna. The color came out SO beautiful I am more than happy. At first my roommate said I looked like Malcom X but I think it darkened up a little after the blow dry. What I did was I took half the package of Henna, mixed it with hot water til it was a nice paste/pudding consistency and let it sit overnight. Later that next day I mixed 2 cap fulls of olive oil, a little squire of Kera Care for Itchy scalp, and a tiny squirt of Pantene conditioner. I wanted to leave as much Henna as possible so it'd be more Henna than Henna gloss. I put it on my hair after shampooing, put on a cap, and sit under the dryer for about 50 minutes. I washed it out, applied ORS Replinishing, and left that on for about 10 minutes. After rinsing that out i sprayed my hair with Aphogee Keratin green tea and the Pro-Vitamin leave in. I also put some Chi silk infusion in it, blow dried straight, and then straightened. "I am natural by the way"..... Now most would look at this and thing OMG that is so much protein but 1 my hair LOVES protein. Secondly my hair was not hard after my Henna. It was wet and soft like a conditioner afterwards, just slightly crunchy but the ORS took care of that. My hair feels SO good. I got a little bit of weight back in my hair, the strands definatly feel slightly thicker, and the Henna shine you all talk about? SO beautiful my hair has so much body. I well continue to do this at least once or twice a month. I love it!

Attachments

• DSCF0617.jpg
    DSCF0617.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF0624.jpg
    DSCF0624.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 20
Last edited: