My hair and I...pic heavy

indarican

So last night I took out my weave, id had it I have for less than two months but had an allergic reaction to the hair that they used to braid my hair...itchy itchy.
I am presently 10+ months post relaxer and plan to do another 8 months of growing before I bc!
Last night after I had the weave removed I detangled my hair washed it, dc'd with keracare humecto for about 1.5 hours no heat. Then I put in a semi permanent red rinse... :-(. Left it on all night, with plastic cap.
Woke up this morning and ....
My hair smacked me right in the face. I went to wash out the rinse, and detangle again it felt like I never detangled in the first place.
I sat I have the shower for at least an hour this morning and listen to my hair laugh at my feeble attempts to get a showed comb through my thick patch of hair. I upped the conditioner thinking that would help....nope!!! I then parted my hair in 4 section put more conditioner and that help a bit...I tried to braid the sections to keep them separated,
" all this hair is not getting into four measly braids!"... my hair was screaming at me and was right...as soon as I would move onto another braid the one I just braided would litteraly poof apart....not just un ravel but POOF! I finally decided to give up on the shower excursion and took my laughing fro to my bedroom. There with the help if my faux denam brush and blow dryer I was able to to get it into four puffs with ouchless ponytail holders. As I type im waiting for it to dry a bit so I can try and get it into a bun for work.
I wanted natural hair and I got a head of 80% natural hair... front still has about 3 inches of relaxer in some places 1inch in other places, the back mostly all the relaxer broke off. I was trying to keep it...oh well.
My hair is still laughing and im exhausted...sheesh
Any tips from you ladies on where I went wrong... what I can do to make it easier?

...im also a little pissed that my natural hair is almost the same length as my 18 year old permed hair used to be after only ten months!!! Ugh my hair should be so long right now.
Sent from my MB860 using MB860

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317983707626.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317983707626.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 341
  • uploadfromtaptalk1317984843349.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317984843349.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 318
  • uploadfromtaptalk1317984865720.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317984865720.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 317
  • uploadfromtaptalk1317984887118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317984887118.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 304
  • uploadfromtaptalk1317984926810.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317984926810.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 289

indarican

More shots of my head...excuse my 5 am this crap is getting on my nerves face...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317985106049.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317985106049.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 127
  • uploadfromtaptalk1317985216588.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317985216588.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 129

Lynnerie

Hi OP. You went wrong with leaving the semi-permanent rinse on your hair over night. Those rinses can be drying to hair and I dont believe they are meant to be left on that long.

You need deep condition again and give your hair a rest from chemicals (dyes) and tension styles because that weave might be too much for your hair. Maybe get a wig and wear some cornrows underneath.

tarheelgurl

I have found aloe vera juice mixed with conditioner to be the magic stuff to help me detangle and believe me my hair felt like it had concrete in it before the juice.

indarican

Hi OP. You went wrong with leaving the semi-permanent rinse on your hair over night. Those rinses can be drying to hair and I dont believe they are meant to be left on that long.

You need deep condition again and give your hair a rest from chemicals (dyes) and tension styles because that weave might be too much for your hair. Maybe get a wig and wear some cornrows underneath.

thanks! I do have my go to half wig, But i really wanted to just be with my hair for a bit. I will try to do the DC again tonight... I may need a thicker one. i used Keracare Humectant but its not tooo thick... i used to work great on my permed hair (probably why my naturaly is not playing along):nono:

indarican

I have found aloe vera juice mixed with conditioner to be the magic stuff to help me detangle and believe me my hair felt like it had concrete in it before the juice.

I may give that a shot.. i heard Oil mixed with Condtioner is pretty good too.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Yeah, your hair is probably SEVERELY over processed. A semi permanent is a chemical treatment and you should leave it on only as long as the instructions say to.

indarican

Yeah, your hair is probably SEVERELY over processed. A semi permanent is a chemical treatment and you should leave it on only as long as the instructions say to.

OH No..:nono:. I was under the impression if i didnt have any peroxide or ammonia (sp) and was all natural it was ok to leave it in for longer... Will my hair fall out from this???:cry3: Please dont tell me i just wasted 10 months of growth for something that didnt even take:cry::crying3::dighole::crybaby::crybaby::darkcloud::cry4::tantrum:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
How does your hair feel? Does it feel weak? Hard? Like normal? Is it breaking more than usual?

indarican

How does your hair feel? Does it feel weak? Hard? Like normal? Is it breaking more than usual?

No, very little breakage, not hard, just CRAZY thick, like the conditioner was not loosen anything up. Also a little waxy...?:ohwell:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
You might be okay. You probably just have to wait until it starts to wear off. I know the last time I used a semi it made my hair feel weird and I vowed to never do it again. That was 5 years ago...

indarican

You might be okay. You probably just have to wait until it starts to wear off. I know the last time I used a semi it made my hair feel weird and I vowed to never do it again. That was 5 years ago...

I hope so!!!! i would be devistated if i have to start all over again!
Do you have any recommendations for a good DC?

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I am confused as to why you left color on your hair all night? (not trying to be mean). I'm wondering did the instructions say that or did someone recommend that?

I'm gonna ask my stylist for suggestions. She is an expert in damaged hair repair.

I would suggest dudleys dpr. It's expensive. But worth it. I'll be back when my stylist responds to me.

In the meantime. Leave your hair alone until you have your repair plan in place. Your hair is in a fragile state right now. You need to not traumatize it any further. Weekly treatments may be what you need.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

indarican

I am confused as to why you left color on your hair all night? (not trying to be mean). I'm wondering did the instructions say that or did someone recommend that?

I'm gonna ask my stylist for suggestions. She is an expert in damaged hair repair.

I would suggest dudleys dpr. It's expensive. But worth it. I'll be back when my stylist responds to me.

In the meantime. Leave your hair alone until you have your repair plan in place. Your hair is in a fragile state right now. You need to not traumatize it any further. Weekly treatments may be what you need.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

I read on one of these threads that someone left a Semi permanent on over night to get a more vibrant color... I made sure that I got an all natural, no peroxide/no ammonia one... I guess the only saving grace that i have was that it was only on for like 4 hours... put it on at like 12:30 and got up and washed it out at like 5... Im so angry at myself right now!!! I cant believe i didnt think even the natural stuff was going to damage my hair.

havilland

I read on one of these threads that someone left a Semi permanent on over night to get a more vibrant color... I made sure that I got an all natural, no peroxide/no ammonia one... I guess the only saving grace that i have was that it was only on for like 4 hours... put it on at like 12:30 and got up and washed it out at like 5... Im so angry at myself right now!!! I cant believe i didnt think even the natural stuff was going to damage my hair.

ok...i understand now. :sad: i'm sorry.

i haven't heard back from my stylist yet. she may be away. i would suggest rosewater, glycerin and aloe juice as a spritz to detangle. and then leave your hair ALONE.

deep condition eavh week with a protein followed by moisturizing condish. dudleys DPR followed by aubreys organics white camelia or similar prods that are effective but gentle.

also, do a strand test. take a strand of hair out of your brush and wet it. pull it and see if it breaks/snaps right away or if it stretches really far. either one is a sign of damage. the hair should feel taught and not be too stretchy and also not snap.

stretchy hair needs protein. snappish hair needs moisture.

keep an eye on your hair and be gentle with it. hopefully you won't lose any hair in the process of recovery.

indarican

ok...i understand now. :sad: i'm sorry.

i haven't heard back from my stylist yet. she may be away. i would suggest rosewater, glycerin and aloe juice as a spritz to detangle. and then leave your hair ALONE.

deep condition eavh week with a protein followed by moisturizing condish. dudleys DPR followed by aubreys organics white camelia or similar prods that are effective but gentle.

also, do a strand test. take a strand of hair out of your brush and wet it. pull it and see if it breaks/snaps right away or if it stretches really far. either one is a sign of damage. the hair should feel taught and not be too stretchy and also not snap.

stretchy hair needs protein. snappish hair needs moisture.

keep an eye on your hair and be gentle with it. hopefully you won't lose any hair in the process of recovery.

I defiently think its moisture i need... there was no Stretching... NONE. But on a better note there was very little breakage also. I think im going to go home and dc overnight... (i got this thing with sleeping with gunk in my head...sheesh)
thank you for the help... Im hoping by the time i decide to cut the rest of the relaxed ends off in about 8 months... ill have healthy easy to detangle hair!

indarican

I managed to get my hair in a bun this morning, with the use of major major gel. Now i have a helmet of Shalak on my head... at least all my curlies are staying down... I thought i was so prepared to deal with my natural hair. HA was i wrong

havilland

I WOULD STOP putting things in your hair overnight.....an hour without heat or 20 mins with heat is plenty.

you put your tresses at risk leaving things in overnight. think of it this way...there's only so much damage that can happen with ANYTHING in an hour....with the exception of chemicals......but in 5-8 hours almost any product has the POTENTIAL to cause problems.

some people swear by overnight conditioning etc. i never saw the need. i'm not saying it doesn't work for some ladies, but my question is, why risk it???????????

overnight damage is not easily undone. you can permanently alter your cuticle with moisture overload or protein overload and wake up with mushy, melting hair or hard, brittle breakage....why would you want to risk that. especially in your current situation?

having said that, i hope it all turns out ok for you. i'd hate for you to suffer anymore than you already have.

good luck..i'll post back if my stylist ever answers me. :)

Your Cheeziness

I managed to get my hair in a bun this morning, with the use of major major gel. Now i have a helmet of Shalak on my head... at least all my curlies are staying down... I thought i was so prepared to deal with my natural hair. HA was i wrong

I'm glad it is working out. With care, you should be fine. But, I'm definitely on #teamfollowthedirections when it comes to products. More often times than not, going above and beyond because we think we know better than the manufacturer can have bad effects.

Even with overnight conditioning which I do when I'm lazy, I get the exact same results in 5 minutes by just taking the time to comb the product through my hair. After 5 minutes in a steamy shower, my hair feels the same as it does when I sleep in conditioner.

indarican

I WOULD STOP putting things in your hair overnight.....an hour without heat or 20 mins with heat is plenty.

you put your tresses at risk leaving things in overnight. think of it this way...there's only so much damage that can happen with ANYTHING in an hour....with the exception of chemicals......but in 5-8 hours almost any product has the POTENTIAL to cause problems.

some people swear by overnight conditioning etc. i never saw the need. i'm not saying it doesn't work for some ladies, but my question is, why risk it???????????

overnight damage is not easily undone. you can permanently alter your cuticle with moisture overload or protein overload and wake up with mushy, melting hair or hard, brittle breakage....why would you want to risk that. especially in your current situation?

having said that, i hope it all turns out ok for you. i'd hate for you to suffer anymore than you already have.

good luck..i'll post back if my stylist ever answers me. :)

thank you for the help...:grin:

indarican

I'm glad it is working out. With care, you should be fine. But, I'm definitely on #teamfollowthedirections when it comes to products. More often times than not, going above and beyond because we think we know better than the manufacturer can have bad effects.

Even with overnight conditioning which I do when I'm lazy, I get the exact same results in 5 minutes by just taking the time to comb the product through my hair. After 5 minutes in a steamy shower, my hair feels the same as it does when I sleep in conditioner.
well right now that is my issue... I cant get the comb through my head of naps!! lol Ill try to keep it on with heat for like 20 mins see if that works.

Your Cheeziness

well right now that is my issue... I cant get the comb through my head of naps!! lol Ill try to keep it on with heat for like 20 mins see if that works.

I'm wondering if an oil would help with lubrication. Any oil or serum that gives you great slip applied on dry hair could help in detangling. A good lubricant and a lot of patience, may help you. I'd work in small sections until it's done. Hopefully other people can chime in as well. I'm just scared that if you keep washing tangled hair, it may mat.

SilentRuby

As a person that sleeps in conditioner and rinses often, I'm pretty sure you didn't damage your hair. Just make sure to re-deep condition with moisture because as someone else said rinses kind of act like a protein so that's why your hair felt hard and tangled. It also could be the brand. Beautiful Collection rinses made my hair hard. You can also mix your rinse with conditioner and kill two birds with one stone.

Also, as a new natural with long, thick hair. The longer or thicker it gets the more sections I had to use. I started off with four then graduated to six and most recently I do 10 sections. It sounds like a lot but trust me it will be so much easier to manipulate your hair. HTH

indarican

I'm wondering if an oil would help with lubrication. Any oil or serum that gives you great slip applied on dry hair could help in detangling. A good lubricant and a lot of patience, may help you. I'd work in small sections until it's done. Hopefully other people can chime in as well. I'm just scared that if you keep washing tangled hair, it may mat.

I was able to detangle while saturated with conditioner... and to my surprise it was not so much breakage. And most of the tangles was at the relaxed ends....im so ready fir them to go!!

indarican

As a person that sleeps in conditioner and rinses often, I'm pretty sure you didn't damage your hair. Just make sure to re-deep condition with moisture because as someone else said rinses kind of act like a protein so that's why your hair felt hard and tangled. It also could be the brand. Beautiful Collection rinses made my hair hard. You can also mix your rinse with conditioner and kill two birds with one stone.

Also, as a new natural with long, thick hair. The longer or thicker it gets the more sections I had to use. I started off with four then graduated to six and most recently I do 10 sections. It sounds like a lot but trust me it will be so much easier to manipulate your hair. HTH

Thanks... I hope that I don't have any damage... I've been working so hard to get my natural hair to grow and be healthy. It would be horrible that my first experience with my natural hair would be to damage it.
Ill try 6 sections next time I wash it. Thanks for the advice and the encouragement.

indarican

just an update... so i have been conditioning my hair and i am pleased to say that Im having better luck with the tangles. the only part that seems to be a problem now are the rest of my relaxed ends... but those will come off soon. I dont seem to be having any breakage or excessive shedding so i think i may be out of the woods for now. My ends are extremely dry right now but i have been moiturizing with KKKT and sealing with JBCO so hopefully in a couple more days all will be well.
I actually have given some thought to straightening my hair. It is so thick but so fine, getting it into one pony may be impossible for me. right now i have a half up half down part.