My Hair Fell Out

Lylddlebit

Congrats on you marriage. I'm sorry to here about your hair. Maybe you can get blood work done to see what was depleted from your body?
That's a good idea. The thought did cross my mind if i was sick and didn't know it yet or if it was dealing with something medical. Thanks!

faithVA

As you said both the pills and stress can cause issues. Since we know you have had stressors this year I would start there. Do as you are thinking and start pampering your hair. If you aren't taking vitamins, find a nice one and take it daily. Look at your diet and make sure you are getting the nutrition you need. Do something to destress yourself weekly.

Instead of cutting back to APL try just trimming an inch if it is needed and doing a nice protein, moisturizing DC combination. Then see where your hair is in December.

I k

For myself stress thinned my hair but also stopped it from growing but once the stressful phase had passed my hair thickened up and started to grow again.

I think you will turn it around quickly.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Awww my hotgirl buddy :bighug:
I'm sorry that happened to you. I hate all forms of birth control. They really screw up our bodies/hair.

It'll grow back with lots of love and patience. We have to remember to take care of ourselves even after marriage and children. I have 4 and I still feel bad about wash day. It takes a little over an hour each week.

secretdiamond

So sorry this happened!
Depo made me lose hair.
Being scissor happy and a perfectionist, I would probably cut to APL.

But you could also cut the ends that need to be cut and trim the rest. Then bun it up for 6 months, see how your hair is doing and go from there.

I agree with getting everything checked medically. Also vitamins, protein treatments, and lots of water may help.

Last edited:

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
Sorry :(. You have the potential for full, long hair and you can have it again. I have to mention that examining the pics it looks to me like very, very severe breakage as opposed to hair loss from the roots although you may have had that as well. My hair ended up similarly after my first relaxers and it was not hair loss at all... it was nothing but severe breakage. It kept getting shorter and shorter and thinner due to damage on the shafts. There was never any issue at the root level.

Have you actually noticed excess shedding?

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

Sorry :(. You have the potential for full, long hair and you can have it again. I have to mention that examining the pics it looks to me like very, very severe breakage as opposed to hair loss from the roots although you may have had that as well. My hair ended up similarly after my first relaxers and it was not hair loss at all... it was nothing but severe breakage. It kept getting shorter and shorter and thinner due to damage on the shafts. There was never any issue at the root level.

I agree. I was using the term"falling out" loosely it looks like breakage is one of the factors to me too. I don't remember any days were I lost lots of hair while styling or washing for shedding or days where I was extra rough with my hair and had a lot in my comb or brush. More like what was supposed to be wash day I had a bunch of stuff to do so I put it off for a week or two then when I did it I was always rushed to finish half way so I never wore it down and styled it full out to really check the condition. I don't believe i was handling it roughly for a lot of chances to break it off but since I was neglecting it in general I probably did have damage on the shafts that I normally would have found and trimmed had I been paying more attention.

Thanks Everyone. For the comments I am taking it all in as I devise my plan.

Last edited:

klsjackson

I agree. I was using the term"falling out" loosely it looks like breakage is one of the factors to me too. I don't remember any days were I lost lots of hair while styling or washing for shedding or days where I was extra rough with my hair and had a lot in my comb or brush. More like what was supposed to be wash day I had a bunch of stuff to do so I put it off for a week or two then when I did it I was always rushed to finish half way so I never wore it down and styled it full out to really check the condition. I don't believe i was handling it roughly for a lot of chances to break it off but since I was neglecting it in general I probably did have damage on the shafts that I normally would have found and trimmed had I been paying more attention.

Thanks Everyone. For the comments I am taking it all in as I devise my plan.
I too have had severe breakage due to stress and neglect. I was at full APL approaching BSL and when I did my last relaxer I noticed excessive shedding and my hair was very thin on the ends. I had to cut 2inches and I am back to full SL approaching APL. I realized that my breakage occurred due to damaged hair shafts. I have high porosity hair and instead of following my normal routine, I had been doing "short cut" wash days for the last 4 to 6 weeks. My hair has suffered greatly, but I know my old regimen works and I plan to get back on it this week. No more cuts or trims until December when I will relax again and do a length check. I will baby my hair until then, LOL.

Congrats on your marriage and I am sure your hair will be just as long and ever more beautiful in a few short months.

klsjackson

What did you do to correct the damage on the shafts? I have been dealing with that problem for quite awhile. Do you mind sharing your regimen?
Thanks!!

Autumn~Tint~Of~Gold

Rocking the Casbah
What did you do to correct the damage on the shafts? I have been dealing with that problem for quite awhile. Do you mind sharing your regimen?
Thanks!!
Honestly, I can't remember what I did back then. I just dealt with the damaged hair for years. I remember when I was 16 my hair was so damaged that my hairdresser cut it very short. So I guess cutting away the damage was the answer then. But then I went and got extensions.
My hair didn't really turn around till I found lhcf. I finally stopped getting blowouts ( very damaging imo) and started doing my own hair. It was uphill from there. Not using too much heat/too high heat and deep conditioning are key.
I've noticed excess damage again so I'm transitioning again as of this year.

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Since you're on BC's, I'd run that by my doctor. Just call her/him and tell the office what you've noticed and see what they want to do as far as testing. Are you on any kind of vitamins? I'd at least start that or some nutritional yeast in shakes and see if it won't help stave off more loss until you get it figured out. Sorry to hear that. Looks like there might be some breakage around the crown as well. Hoping for the best and congrats on the marriage.

Lylddlebit

Since you're on BC's, I'd run that by my doctor. Just call her/him and tell the office what you've noticed and see what they want to do as far as testing. Are you on any kind of vitamins? I'd at least start that or some nutritional yeast in shakes and see if it won't help stave off more loss until you get it figured out. Sorry to hear that. Looks like there might be some breakage around the crown as well. Hoping for the best and congrats on the marriage.
Thank you so much!

I have whipped out all my grow out notes. I am back on the Bargello regimen for vitamins. I have decided to cut a bit more but I did it during a wash so am not 100% sure of the length now. I have my new silk top wig, 33 oz bottles of deep conditioner, a couple boxes of monitsat and my own old fotki post to be my inspiration. "Ret to go!" I am upgrading to the better health plan for 2017 so I plan to make sure everything is in order with testing health wise soon.

Last edited: