My hair is not retaining length

africanqueen456

I did a length check and I dont believe I am retaining length.I am 2 years post the end of this month. My crown is just hitting shoulder length. My nape and side are hovering over apl. For five months I have been apl(I did do three trims on my nape areas) My hair(especially in the crown) is about the same length as when I bced.I have not really trimmed that area.

I also did a blowout but used cool button and my hair looks the same as when I have super stretched 5 day hair. Should I have used the warm button? My dry hair was also super tangled and had ssks(I had been doing to many wash n gos because of the humidity) and I lost of lost hair combing my hair before blowdrying.

My reggie:
I wash and deep condition once a week
I cowash in between(but I do not detangle when I cowash)
I used an oil on my ends daily and about 2x a week I moisturize(I cant moisturize everyday or my hair will revert.some days I lightly mist with water and it doesn't revert too much)
I usually wear protective styles for half the week and then wear it in updos,puffs or out the rest of the week.
I also dont trim (I just did my first whole head trim yesterday)But I will start at least every 4-6 months. I use protein once in a while.I dont believe my hair likes it very much.
*I have alopecia that is getting slightly worse because this summer has been uber stressful me. I use a sulfur mix on my thinning patches.

My question to you all is why am I not retaining length? Is it because of my not detangling when I cowash. I don't think finger combing is enough for me or detangling with a wide tooth comb.Sometimes afterwards I still find shed hair.I am think of following up with my denman or a smaller seamless widetooth comb when I detangle.

And also how do you protective styles with your natural hair?If you do moisturize do you find that hair's ends get tangled in the bun or pin up.Thats what happens to me. Also how do you fight your stetched hair reverting. When hair shrinks up there is nothing left to bun:blush:. I also have to strech my hair every night.Is it more manipulation if I have to plait my hair daily just to bun it.

Do I have to protective style if my twistouts,bantu knot outs etc. if my hair is barely full shoulder length/apl?

I'm sorry for all the questions. Please help me:look:

Last edited:

LilMissSunshine5

Sorry about your hair frustration :bighug: I don't have any specific advice bc I am not really knowledgeable enough in my hair journey yet, let alone someone else's :look: But maybe your alopecia has something to do with it? And are you fully natural or still transitioning?

addaboutmyhair

You might be trimming all your growth, not necessarily bad if you need the trim. It also sounds like you're doing a lot to your hair. Protective styling for 3 or 4 days then doing your hair every day for the rest of the week? That would be a lot for me. Maybe try a coule things.

1. combing after a hot oil treatment while the oil is still in your hair. Definitely with a denman or ouidad comb. Start combing from the ends all the way to the roots.

2. Wash your hair in sections in the direction the hair grows - check cathy hughes book/website.

3. try drying your hair with heat. I know some women have found that their hair just matts too much with air or cool drying. You can also roller set (even with natural hair) or braid it up to dry stretched.

Protective styles for me (texlaxed) means braids with extensions, weaves, or cornrows under a lacefront. A bun does protect your ends. I find my hair doesn't tangle as long as my hair is dry before I put it in a bun. This is crucial. My hair has to dry in braids or on rollers or it drys in a shrunken usually matted state.

Also, if your hair tangles crazily and easily it may need more moisture. Consider using a leave in conditioner and an oil sealent.

Good luck!

addaboutmyhair

Forgot to add - I moisturrize before I stretch so no worries above reverting. Ex: I wil DC/ put in leave in, seal and braid at night. In the morning I can wear a braid out, or bun. I might use some cocoa butter or shea butter cream to work it into a style, but that's it.

africanqueen456

Sorry about your hair frustration :bighug: I don't have any specific advice bc I am not really knowledgeable enough in my hair journey yet, let alone someone else's :look: But maybe your alopecia has something to do with it? And are you fully natural or still transitioning?

Thank you.I bced March 16. My alopecia has been the reason why I have posted pictures or I am very excited about it :nono:.

africanqueen456

You might be trimming all your growth, not necessarily bad if you need the trim. It also sounds like you're doing a lot to your hair. Protective styling for 3 or 4 days then doing your hair every day for the rest of the week? That would be a lot for me. Maybe try a coule things.

1. combing after a hot oil treatment while the oil is still in your hair. Definitely with a denman or ouidad comb. Start combing from the ends all the way to the roots.

2. Wash your hair in sections in the direction the hair grows - check cathy hughes book/website.

3. try drying your hair with heat. I know some women have found that their hair just matts too much with air or cool drying. You can also roller set (even with natural hair) or braid it up to dry stretched.

Protective styles for me (texlaxed) means braids with extensions, weaves, or cornrows under a lacefront. A bun does protect your ends. I find my hair doesn't tangle as long as my hair is dry before I put it in a bun. This is crucial. My hair has to dry in braids or on rollers or it drys in a shrunken usually matted state.

Also, if your hair tangles crazily and easily it may need more moisture. Consider using a leave in conditioner and an oil sealent.

Good luck!

When I do moisturize my hair and then put it in a french roll or bun my ends tangle. And I think braiding my hair(for me) nightly is too much manipulation. For other it isn't.My hair isnt that thick because of the various patches that are thinning.I dont think it is that full to begin with.

I do airdry in braids/twists.

addaboutmyhair

When I do moisturize my hair and then put it in a french roll or bun my ends tangle. And I think braiding my hair(for me) nightly is too much manipulation. For other it isn't.My hair isnt that thick because of the various patches that are thinning.I dont think it is that full to begin with.

Hmmm. I'm at a loss. If you are using a non sticky moisturizer, and your hair is already stretched and dried, it shouldn't tangle.:ohwell: Split ends? Maybe someone else has the answer.

ms.blue

Your protective styling maybe an issue. When I protective style it usually for 1-2 weeks at a time (mostly underneath lace wigs/half-wigs. Why don't you detangle after you co-wash? All that could lead into major tangles which can cause breakage. I believe you really need to revamp your reggie and fix what is not working for you (especially the trimming)

StarScream35

africanqueen456

Sounds like something in your regimen could be keeping you stuck. I don't detangle with a denman or wide tooth. I use an electric detangler called the tangle tamer. I no longer have issues with tangled hair since I have been using this. I also do not do protective styling. It doesn't work for me. It just seems to make my hair worse. You might want to play around with different regimens and see if you get results. I know it's frustrating but believe me, many women here have been on this road several times, including myself.

*CherryPie*

I think it could be your alopecia. I have a sister with alopecia. Her hair slowly broke off and thinned. Now she doesn't have any hair. She has to wear lacefront wigs.

Talk to your dermatologist about this before you start changing your regimen. It might not be your regimen at all.

africanqueen456

Your protective styling maybe an issue. When I protective style it usually for 1-2 weeks at a time (mostly underneath lace wigs/half-wigs. Why don't you detangle after you co-wash? All that could lead into major tangles which can cause breakage. I believe you really need to revamp your reggie and fix what is not working for you (especially the trimming)

Hmm thankx so much!!I see ur progress in your siggie. Do you think I should trim more often? I thought not detangling would help me retain length:nono:.

africanqueen456

I think it could be your alopecia. I have a sister with alopecia. Her hair slowly broke off and thinned. Now she doesn't have any hair. She has to wear lacefront wigs.

Talk to your dermatologist about this before you start changing your regimen. It might not be your regimen at all.

I probably will when I start school.

ms.blue

africanqueen456, I think you should trim maybe 2-3 times a year. So you could maintain some length as you grow out your hair. Also try to leave your protective style for a week so you could reduce the amount of manipulation. Minor tweeks in your haircare reggie can yield wonderful results.

mizspecialk

I think the first issue you need to address is the alopecia. You have to figure out why your hair is falling out and take steps to fix it. It might be something hormonal or genetic. Maybe you need to supplement your diet with some vitamins or take a DHT blocker.

Also, dry hair = breakage. If I was you I would start applying moisturizer every day and then sealing it in with oil. Protective styling is really important as well. I never wear my hair out when I'm trying to retain length. I know that others have had phenomenal retention without hiding their hair but I'm pretty sure that those women are in the minority. A low manipulation style helps too. Right now I'm wearing box braids because they're the perfect low maintenance summer style. In the morning I just spray on the moisturizer and go.

africanqueen456

I think the first issue you need to address is the alopecia. You have to figure out why your hair is falling out and take steps to fix it. It might be something hormonal or genetic. Maybe you need to supplement your diet with some vitamins or take a DHT blocker.

Also, dry hair = breakage. If I was you I would start applying moisturizer every day and then sealing it in with oil. Protective styling is really important as well. I never wear my hair out when I'm trying to retain length. I know that others have had phenomenal retention without hiding their hair but I'm pretty sure that those women are in the minority. A low manipulation style helps too. Right now I'm wearing box braids because they're the perfect low maintenance summer style. In the morning I just spray on the moisturizer and go.

I went to the doctor recently and a derm recently.He just gave me some cortisone shots but as a broke college student I can't really afford to keep going. He told me it was stress and for a while it controlled and getting better.This summer has been very stressful for me and I am not suprised it is getting worse. I also had been to the doctor and they said it was the same thing stress. I dont know what else to do.I would rather just handle the alopecia on my own. If I keep stressing myself then it will only get worse.I know that. The medicine they give me will not only help alleviate the damage.I have to control how I react to things.

africanqueen456

I am only full shoulder length and apl on my sides and back.My bangs don't even touch my chin.I can't do a decent ponytail anywhere on my head(because of shrinkage. even when I do airdry in braids or twist) If I moisturize and seal daily my hair shrinks. With my moisturized stretched hair I can't do much but a french roll and I can't fit all of my hair into a french roll. I feel like my hair is too short for protective styles because because I cant fit my various layers into the style.

bb09

I get what you mean actually. Bunning my damp hair = tangles. Allow your hair to dry first (b4 bunning).

I'm just trying to figure out how to moisturise my damp hair now without getting the broken hairs..