My hair is severely matted...

lnana04

To make a long story short, these past couple of months I've been at home without work or school, which means that I really didn't touch my hair. Whenever I would go somewhere I just brushed the edges and put it in a ponytail. This went on for about a month.:sad:

Well a few weeks ago I washed it to find that I couldn't comb through it at all. I couldn't do anything but let it air-dry, which made it mat up more I'm sure, and it's now to the point where its like one big dread.

Everytime I try to pick at it I just get overwhelmed and I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut it off because it's been a five year journey(I'm Natural) but it's really not looking too good. Do any of you ladies have any sugestions how I can get through this??? I can't even part it.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Rewet your hair, get some conditioner and let it marinate with heat. That should help loosen it up a little so that you can try detangling again.

ChikaChika

Something similar happened to my friend. She basically dipped it in warm water, squeezed the excess water out and the coated it it conditioner, olive oil and anything else slippery she had to hand - literally whole bottles of stuff were flying into that hair. She covered it in a plastic cap and then wrapped a hot steamy towel round it for about an hour. Then she sat there and detangled it with her hands, try not to use a comb until most of it is loose.

Good luck!

Good luck

alexstin

To make a long story short, these past couple of months I've been at home without work or school, which means that I really didn't touch my hair. Whenever I would go somewhere I just brushed the edges and put it in a ponytail. This went on for about a month.:sad:

Well a few weeks ago I washed it to find that I couldn't comb through it at all. I couldn't do anything but let it air-dry, which made it mat up more I'm sure, and it's now to the point where its like one big dread.

Everytime I try to pick at it I just get overwhelmed and I don't know what to do. I don't want to cut it off because it's been a five year journey(I'm Natural) but it's really not looking too good. Do any of you ladies have any sugestions how I can get through this??? I can't even part it.

You can also try appying a nice amount of oil to your hair and letting it sit for a few hours or overnight. Wash and use a good slippery conditioner. It works wonders.

Cichelle

Yes, lots of oil and conditioner. And the most important thing is to take your time. I second the suggestion about using your fingers to work through the knots before attempting to comb. Accept that it's going to take a while to get through it. Go slowly. Try separating the hair apart, instead of tugging downwards.

Let us know what happens.

sareca

I use Robin's method. I posted it in my journal with links to her detangling videos.

ETA: Also try oil rinsing. It's saved me from tangles more than once.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
There was a time in high school where something like this happened to me. I wore glue-in weaves, and for a year I pretty much only combed the front. All of the back of my head was coated in glue and matted flat to my head, but it STILL kept putting more glue and weave over it. It looked sooooo bad :blush:

I put a bunch on oil and conditioner in my hair and went through it with my fingers. Then when my hair was loose, I combed all the knots and glue out.

Good luck! Your hair will be okay, just be really gentle and take your time :yep:

aprilbiz

I agree with all the advise. This happens to me frequently. I actually just got finished detangling after letting it go for 2-3 weeks. I'm pretty ashamed to admit I'm too lazy to comb my hair out. I've been washing it daily and it's grown quite a bit.

I have been just brushing the top and sides and putting it in a ponytail, but never combing all the way through it. Well I ended up with two large dreadlocks and I'm relaxed. It just took me an hour to detangle.

Everyone gave excellent advice. Be patient, wash your hair (in the shower is easiest) in warm water, totally saturate your hair with creamy shampoo.

Try to detangle with your fingers as much as possible, but don't pull any knots. I can't live without Dark-n-Lovely Detangling Shampoo and Conditioner so that's what I use.

Rinse your hair and squeeze the excess water. Then completely saturate your hair with creamy shampoo or conditioner again and part your hair starting from the back. I prefer a fine tooth comb.. other's use wide tooth combs.

Detangle small sections at a time. Hold your hair in the middle and start combing ends first and work your way up. I also comb my hair from underneath first and it detangles well for me that way.

I also recommend Paul Mitchell's "The Detangler." You may need a big bottle of it though.

disgtgyal

i agree with wat was previously said most of my hair is natural now but when i began transitioning i had tangles everytime i washed... i think lots of oil and one of the dominican rinses i like nacidit avocado rinse. good luck

Nubenap22

For one shame shame you know our natural hair can act a str8 fool when we dont pay attention to it!!! But I do understand

Secondly I agree with these ladies in their methods!!! Keep us updated and tell us how it went!!