My hair is SO unstable!

MizaniMami

Hey All,

I am embarassed to say this but after reading Sista's Breakage 101 thread about a hundred times and I still can't tell whether my hair is breaking from too much moisture or protein. I have been seeing some breakage strands when I applying conditioner, detangling, and moisturizing, but I have been ignoring it. I would wash and do a lot of moisture or wash do some moisture and protein with the same results, breakage. I am still doing no heat/manipulation so I know that's not it.

Well today was the last straw when I was moisturizing and my I had breakage strands everywhere.:eek: I can't wash tonight because I have an important event coming up tomorrow but I am mortified. I don't know what to do! Up up the protein moisture or change products.:confused:

Last night I co-washed with Humectress since it has been so dry lately (after I pro-pooed with Keraphix, like always) and DCed with Aveda DR (the regular moisture conditioner). It was feeling so nice until this afternoon when my hair started to look dry.

Right now I just slathered on some moisturizer and put my hair in my scarf because I can't stomach to look at this:perplexed

*sigh* I guess my rant is over. I am going to be searching this board all night trying to figure it out. Thanks for listening, well, reading.

dannie

I feel your pain, it's such a delicate balance moisture/protein, protein/moisture! And when u see breakage it feels like such a huge SETBACK and a cause for minor depression.

Not to steal the mic here, but I just switched to no-lye because lye wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. To make a long story short I was experincing some breakage so last nite I do a protein treatment and mositurize w/ ORS Replenshing Pak. Meant to keep it on an hour, but fell asleep. Woke up at mid-night and went to rinse it out. My hair felt over conditioned and it was coming out in gobs!!!! I had a mini-heart attack.

Did the same thing you did and just threw a scarf over it and went to sleep. Expecting to wake up half bald.

In the morning realized I hadn't combed my hair in 3 days, and when the hair ball dried it was all shed hair(yes i dug it out the trash).

So don't fret, it's all part of the process and your pics show great progress!!! I'm sure when you take your scarf off tomorrow your hair is gonna be fine.

MizaniMami

dannie_19 said:
I feel your pain, it's such a delicate balance moisture/protein, protein/moisture! And when u see breakage it feels like such a huge SETBACK and a cause for minor depression.

Not to steal the mic here, but I just switched to no-lye because lye wasn't cutting the mustard anymore. To make a long story short I was experincing some breakage so last nite I do a protein treatment and mositurize w/ ORS Replenshing Pak. Meant to keep it on an hour, but fell asleep. Woke up at mid-night and went to rinse it out. My hair felt over conditioned and it was coming out in gobs!!!! I had a mini-heart attack.

Did the same thing you did and just threw a scarf over it and went to sleep. Expecting to wake up half bald.

In the morning realized I hadn't combed my hair in 3 days, and when the hair ball dried it was all shed hair(yes i dug it out the trash).

So don't fret, it's all part of the process and your pics show great progress!!! I'm sure when you take your scarf off tomorrow your hair is gonna be fine.

Oh my GOODNESS. How is your hair doing now????

dannie

Good!! It was shed hair.

Luckily the breakage stopped too, so I'm batting 1000 right now, until the next hair crisis. :lachen: But I was expecting something to happen after switching to no-lye.

I hope your breakage stops soon!!! You'll probably feel a lot better when you take your hair down in the morning.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Ok, seeing as how I haven't always been natural, let me throw my 2 cents in.

I found that when I was relaxed, moisture was never the problems, it was always too much protein that was causing the breakage. Make sure to not only check the protein content of your shampoo/conditioner -but also your leave-ins, because you may have more protein in your regimen than you realize.

Hope this helps.

MizaniMami

JCoily said:
Ok, seeing as how I haven't always been natural, let me throw my 2 cents in.

I found that when I was relaxed, moisture was never the problems, it was always too much protein that was causing the breakage. Make sure to not only check the protein content of your shampoo/conditioner -but also your leave-ins, because you may have more protein in your regimen than you realize.

Hope this helps.

You know Jcoily (gosh i like your name),

I used that Aphogee Keratin Spray as a leave-in last night and I also use ita few times per week. I think that may be the culprit! Just when I start to like something it backfires on me. I need to just stick with what I know is good for my hair!

goldensensation

When everything else isnt working, CLARIFY and then go for it again!

Build-up can be a **** when it comes to products not working how they are supposed to. A little ACV rinse might do the trick. But do it BEFORE you shampoo, not after. And do it in tepid water.

Synthia

MizaniMami said:

I used that Aphogee Keratin Spray as a leave-in last night and I also use ita few times per week. I think that may be the culprit! Just when I start to like something it backfires on me. I need to just stick with what I know is good for my hair!

:eek:. I cannot believe you were using this. I used this for two days a couple of months ago and poured it down the drain because it made my hair break and become dry.

I posted on one hit/miss thread that it was like liquid crack for my hair -- too much protein. Whew! I glad you figured that out. Ban it! It's not worth it.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
MizaniMami said:

AHA!!! Aphogee strikes again! Those products are good, but a little goes a loooonnnnngg way. I'm going to sign on with goldensensation about clarifying more often too.

JoiNichole

MizaniMami said:

I know I don't post a lot, but I had to say something about this. I just got that spray, and used it yesterday. But I airdried my hair. It was doing fabulous. Then, this morning, breakage all over the place. Boooo. I think that spray may be the problem, and your scenario sounds EXACTLY like what was happening to my hair.

Ohh, I forgot to add: MizaniMami, your hair is my absolute favorite, and pretty much the reason I joined the board- besides all the great advice and lovely ladies on this board, of course. :)

Last edited:

MizaniMami

JoiNichole said:
I know I don't post a lot, but I had to say something about this. I just got that spray, and used it yesterday. But I airdried my hair. It was doing fabulous. Then, this morning, breakage all over the place. Boooo. I think that spray may be the problem, and your scenario sounds EXACTLY like what was happening to my hair.

Ohh, I forgot to add: MizaniMami, your hair is my absolute favorite, and pretty much the reason I joined the board- besides all the great advice and lovely ladies on this board, of course. :)

Thank you for the compliment! I am glad you are getting your 5 bucks worth hehe:lol:

I am def. Putting up the aphogee keratin. I will clarify this weekend, followed by a moisturizing wash, and moisture DC.

KhandiB

:eek:

Im sorry youre going thru that.. Im suffering from some edge breakage right now :( - they said it still is most likely the Post Partum STILL ...

and a little breakage too... Im Here for ya!!!

RabiaElaine

Awww Mizani I'm sorry to hear this.

I've resolved myself to thinking I am never going to completely eliminate breakage. However I agree with the other ladies...too much protein. The Aveda might have too much protein to be used evertime you wash (but I'm not sure).

Have you tried Humecto in the tub? It's fabulous and has drastically reduced my breakage. The no combing dry hair is also helping too. I see very little breakage when I finger comb.

MizaniMami

RabiaElaine said:
Awww Mizani I'm sorry to hear this.

I've resolved myself to thinking I am never going to completely eliminate breakage. However I agree with the other ladies...too much protein. The Aveda might have too much protein to be used evertime you wash (but I'm not sure).

Have you tried Humecto in the tub? It's fabulous and has drastically reduced my breakage. The no combing dry hair is also helping too. I see very little breakage when I finger comb.

You know, the protein in Aveda DR, is barely noticable in my hair. My hair feels moisturized with Aveda DR but yet strong. I love that stuff and I have NO concerns with it, except the price.

I want to try that Humecto in the tub, but I am scared to pay so much for that amount since that is a lot of commitment seeing if I don't like it. My sis has the Keracare set and I am going to try it again this weekend!

RabiaElaine

MizaniMami said:
You know, the protein in Aveda DR, is barely noticable in my hair. My hair feels moisturized with Aveda DR but yet strong. I love that stuff and I have NO concerns with it, except the price.

I want to try that Humecto in the tub, but I am scared to pay so much for that amount since that is a lot of commitment seeing if I don't like it. My sis has the Keracare set and I am going to try it again this weekend!

PM me...I'll send you a sample of my tub if you want. I live in NY so I got my tub for a great price $26.99 :D at a Beauty Supply store in Manhattan.

And the tub version is very different than the bottle version, it's a lot thicker for some reason. The ingredients are the same I believe.

Cichelle

Kind of late here, but I just want to agree with the notion that you might want to watch the protein. I had a problem recently with my hair (sooooo dry and crunchy in spots and felt ready to snap!). I decided to lay COMPLETELY off of the protein. I am talking not using anything with protein in it at all...not a shampoo, conditioner, leave in...you get the idea. I clarified and went on my no-protein hair diet and within a few days my hair started feeling good again. Now it is back to normal, moisturized and feeling healthy.

I have decided not to use protein in any products that I use every day. I am going to strictly control when and how I use it. In other words, I'll use something like AO GPB as a deep conditioner when needed. That way I can regulate the protein better.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
RabiaElaine said:
PM me...I'll send you a sample of my tub if you want. I live in NY so I got my tub for a great price $26.99 :D at a Beauty Supply store in Manhattan.

And the tub version is very different than the bottle version, it's a lot thicker for some reason. The ingredients are the same I believe.

I may have to send you some money and have you pick some up for me. The cheapest I can find is $40 for the tub + shipping. :eek:

Mizani I totally agree with JCoily. Not only check your leave in but check your moisturizers too. All the protein adds up.

Candy_C

its sounds like the prob i had 2 weeks ago

BUILLLDDDUUPPP!!!

i think you may (and i'm being blunt) be using wayyy too many products on your hair...its really not needed ma darlin.

like how nas needs 1 mic, you just need 1 of everything!

please please clarify..i use keracare 1st shampoo (well ov corse i do i'm obsessed with keraC) but clarify, and THen USE a regular moisturizing poo after that. then deep condition, use a leave in then moisturize. keep it verry simple and i promise you will see results. i think too many different prods confuse the hair. every line has a process which continues with all their products. using different brands i believe unbalances the hair.
i know how stressful it can be. in my thread i stated how i used this, then i used keracare then i used salerm then i used....it was making sense as i typed, imagine your hair as a white silk sheet and imagine putting all those prods on it. the sheet is gonna get VEX!

so i hope this helps you cus breakage is a ***** and its not really about enduring it. start from scratch and give your hair a good sueeky clean. *kiss*

RabiaElaine

simplycee said:
I may have to send you some money and have you pick some up for me. The cheapest I can find is $40 for the tub + shipping. :eek:

Mizani I totally agree with JCoily. Not only check your leave in but check your moisturizers too. All the protein adds up.

Yeah that place is fantastic! They are the cheapest I have ever found for Keracare/Affirm products.

I figure that tub should last me at least 4-6 months with my current length, and for only $26.99! I used to use the bottle version for $19.99 for the large bottle but it wouldn't last nearly as long. Then I learned the tub version was even better...now I'm sticking with the tub.

No problem PM me and we'll figure out the details.

You gotta love NY...

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
RabiaElaine said:
Yeah that place is fantastic! They are the cheapest I have ever found for Keracare/Affirm products.

I figure that tub should last me at least 4-6 months with my current length, and for only $26.99! I used to use the bottle version for $19.99 for the large bottle but it wouldn't last nearly as long. Then I learned the tub version was even better...now I'm sticking with the tub.

You gotta love NY...

Sending you the pm now......

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Which beauty supply store is this, and where in the City is it!? Hook a sista up! :lachen:

RabiaElaine said:

RabiaElaine

bklynwildheart said:
Which beauty supply store is this, and where in the City is it!? Hook a sista up! :lachen:

I know I answered you by PM but I'll post it here too so everyone can see it.

It's in Manhattan, NY at Rama Beauty Supply on Amsterdam Avenue and 105th street.

OneInAMillion

RabiaElaine said:

You gotta love NY...

RAMA is my spot! Whatever they don't have, they order for me instantly!