My hair isn't growing

Feli

My hair isn\'t growing

Hi Ladies, I'm looking for some advice.My hair doesn't seem to want to grow. I believe im a 4/b. I wear my hair texturized. Overall my hair is healthy, and full. I am very pleased with the way it looks and feels. It doesn't fall out or anything like that but for some reason I can't seem to acheive any length, especially on my sides. Is it true that certain people's hair will only grow to a certain length in their lifetime? Will vitamins help my hair to grow or will they just make my hair stronger. Any suggestions to promote growth???

HotCoCoGurl130

Re: My hair isn\'t growing

Do you keep your hair moisturized. I do not mean grease but maybe spray it with water and seal it in w/ grease. I myself use scurl and I am in love w/ the stuff. Also I do take vitamins. I take a multi, biotin, and msm. They have really helped. I just joined the massage challenge but that is suppose to really help you hair grow. Also do you wear protective styles where your ends are protected?

CORBINS

I know exactly what you mean girl! I've had a problem growing my hair for years! I was able to achieve growth with braids but when I took them out, my hair would break off to it's original length. Now my hair seems to be growing well. I've been taking vitamins, msm, biotin, and evening primrose oil. Moisture is also the biggest contributing factor. LIke HotCoCoGurl130 I use S-Curl and I wear protective styles. Primarily a bun because I'm in the military. I rarely wear my hair down. Oh yeah, conditioner washes every other day is a must for me now!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Moisture, Moisture and more intense moisture. That is what is helping me retain length. I also take vitamins and drink a lot of water.

Feli

As far as wetting my hear and sealing it. I've never tried that because I wear my hair pressed. As far as protective styles I used to wear braids a lot but I found that my hairline was thinning so now I'm afraid to get the braids again. Does my hair have to be wet to moisturize?.. As far as scalp massages, I've just started last week, I sometimes forget to do them twice a day but I am trying to make it a part of my everyday routine.

Ayeshia

maybe you should find another alternative to pressing like roller sets or wrap sets and like everybody said so far....MOISTURIZE. it doesnt have to be wet necessarily but make sure if you do purchase a moisturizer that water is the first ingredient. my main source of moisture comes from daily conditioning washes. barely hair moisturizing lotions because my hair is so short it doesnt benefit as well as it did when my hair was long, as it gets longer i plan to use UBH moisturizer and S-curl. So like i said lay off the intense heat for a few months and if you see results then heat was your main culprit!!!!!!

Brownie

Feli,
Everyone's hair grows AT LEAST 1/4 to 1/2 inch each month. Your problem has to do with retaining length. If your hair stays at the same length each month that means it's breaking off on the ends. Perhaps you're due for a protein treatment to strengthen your ends---followed by a moisturizing conditioner.

You said you don't want to wear braids anymore; you can still protect your ends by wearing buns, or some other hairstyle that keeps your ends out of the elements. You should try to get in a habit of wearing your hair in a protective style. ANd like everyone else said, moisturizing your ends is very important.

Feli

Thanks Ayesha. I've tried to roller set my hair before, and my hair looked a mess....Do you need to condition after a condioning wash? I've been using the surge moisturizer daily, it's made my hair softer but my hair is still very dry after I wash it. I think I'll try the Dominican salon for roller sets to see if I notice a change in the growth. Thanks again.

Feli

Can u give me an example of a protective style other than braids or a bun. My hair is not long enough for a bun but I would like to try some other alternative.

Brownie

[ QUOTE ]
Feli said:
Can u give me an example of a protective style other than braids or a bun. My hair is not long enough for a bun but I would like to try some other alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is your hair?
Besides a bun or braid extentions, you could wear a french roll---this can be done with short hair---you just need enough to tuck vertically in the back. You also don't have to have braid extentions put in; you could braid your natural hair, or you could put your hair in bantu (sp????) knots. Or you could hook on a fake ponytail. Some of the women around here are doing that---the ponytails come in all different lengths and textures.

I don't know how the weather is where you live, but with winter here, you could wear silk scarves, or hats lined with satin or silk.

Overall, all you have to do is make sure your ends aren't
exposed. You can wear any style---just tuck your ends under, so that they're not exposed to wind, cold weather and sun every day (or any kind of friction, including from clothing).

Can anyone else think of styles for short hair?

Babygurl

This is just my two cents but I do believe that sometimes hair will only grow to a certain length. Meaning, not everyone is able to grow waist length hair or beyond. My aunt has had extrememely healthy 3c hair for years but it has never grown past wiast length.....not that it breaks, but it stops growing. This is just my opinion....I have hopes of growing my hair to great lengths but I wont be disappointed if it stops at a certain point.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Feli said:
Thanks Ayesha. I've tried to roller set my hair before, and my hair looked a mess....Do you need to condition after a condioning wash? I've been using the surge moisturizer daily, it's made my hair softer but my hair is still very dry after I wash it. I think I'll try the Dominican salon for roller sets to see if I notice a change in the growth. Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

since i do conditioning washes everyday i only deep condition every 2 weeks. i used to deep condition twice a week because my hair was relaxed but since i am natural i dont feel the need to all the time because i use no heat, nor do i brush or comb as of now.What shampoo are you using that may be drying your hair out too. r u only lathering once or more that?

Feli

Babygurl,

I agree with you but I know my hair is capable of growing longer than what it is now because it was longer at one point after wearing braids for about 2 years but I chopped it because it was unhealthy. I'm thinking of trying the braids again but I don't want to go through all the trouble if my hair is going to break as soon as I take them out.

Feli

Ayesha,

Basically prior to discovering this site I used any kind of shampoo. I've just began using pantene relaxed and natural shampoo, and yes I do lather a few times. I still haven't tried the conditioning washes becuase I'm not sure what to do what my hair afterwards. I'm so accustomed to pressing it. I do want to try rollersets but since I'm not sure how to do them I would have to get them done, and right now I can't afford to go to the salon a few times per week.