My hair texture changed! WTH?

sareca

My mother noticed it first. About 2 weeks before I took my braids out (they'd been in for 2 weeks already) she said "hey looks like you have some good hair back here," while picking at my head. Annoyed at the term "good hair" I pretended not to hear her (sorry, mom). When I finally took my braids out and dried my hair it felt incredibly soft and moist despite no product and 1/2 hour under the dryer. I thought "nice" and moved on. When I got around to washing and styling my hair is when I noticed the texture change. It looks more like 3c than the 4a I've had since I was 5. I mean the new growth. My new growth matches (maybe a little more curl) the texture of my texturized hair. WTH? I've never heard of that. Has this happened to anyone else?

Here's what I've done (since joining the lovely ladies here in our quest for healthy hair)

MSM--love it, makes my skin soft (made it dry the first few weeks, tho)
Nexxus--used w/ heat while in braids and out
Kenra--used w/ heat while in braids and out
IC Moisturizing treatment--daily while in braids and out
Aphogee green tea reconstructor--daily while in braids and out
Royal ?? Braid Spray--every other day
Carrot Oil Cream (switched from ORS to Hollywood, ORS stinks)
Organic Jojoba Oil or Keracare Essential Oil as needed

What happened? Is this my "real" texture and my hair need some TLC to get it back? I thought my hair was nice before and this is nice too, but I'm a little freaked out.

PrettyBrownEyes

My stylist told me that my hair wasn't as kinky when I recently had a touch-up. How it came up was I asked her did she think I had a lot of new growth and she said not really, but, your hair its less kinky.

I personally feel that when your hair is receiving needed nutrients and moisture it reflects in the texture that was there to begin with just needed TLC as you mentioned.

sareca

Country gal said:
Are you natural or relaxed? Also doesn't MSM change the hair texture.

I'm relaxed. I texturized with Phyto II. I'm now 12 weeks post relaxer. Ok, that eliminates one possiblity... it's not MSM.

NoNapNique

I do think MSM changes hair texture due to the sulfur... Because sulfur is in our hair... So maybe when you have more of it in your system, there is a change in texture. Because lately I have noticed more "wave" than curl on my 4b parts.

sareca

NoNapNique said:
I do think MSM changes hair texture due to the sulfur... Because sulfur is in our hair... So maybe when you have more of it in your system, there is a change in texture. Because lately I have noticed more "wave" than curl on my 4b parts.

Hmmm, the plot thickens. :) I used those same products on my buns before the braids. MSM (and the braid spray, of course) are really the only products I didn't use at all before braiding.

getmoore

I know this seems strange but my hair texture changed with each of my three pregnancies. My hair went from 4a back in 1991 with my first son to 4b with my second son to mostly 3c with my daughter six years ago and thats how it is now. I swear I had a different texture each time! Is it possible that you could be expecting? It sure changed my hair.

sareca

getmoore said:
I know this seems strange but my hair texture changed with each of my three pregnancies. My hair went from 4a back in 1991 with my first son to 4b with my second son to mostly 3c with my daughter six years ago and thats how it is now. I swear I had a different texture each time! Is it possible that you could be expecting? It sure changed my hair.

OMG! I think you're on to something. I'm not expecting (at least I don't think I am) but I started taking birth control about a month ago. Wow, I forgot all about that. I take seasonale which is a pretty radical change.

sareca

beadedgirl said:
Girl that happened to me like 9 yrs ago,i had 4a hair and was going through some hair dilemas i had it shaved,it grew like 3 inches or so,i decided to give it a texturizer with a lye,the texturizer literally ate up the back of my head,so i end up shaving it again,then it totally grew back a 3c texture.people keep asking me did i have a perm,i could not for the life of me know how this was.Well 6yrs ago i had a another serious hair mishap.I decided to give myself a sage&avc rince,then all hell broke loose,my hair totally matted up the texture completely changed like that and now i'm back to 4a.

and no i was not taking any supplements at all...........i really couldn't understand what the hell was happening,i just went with the flow.People were asking me about perms,questiong my ethnicity...........it was crazy.

Now I'm curious if hormonal changes can result in hair texture changes. Were you pregnant during any of that time?

loonatick

getmoore said:

Interesting!!!
BTW are you natural or texturized? Your hair is pretty :)

ichephren

MSM does change hair texture, and so does Silica. Do a search on "msm" and you'll find previous threads on msm and hair texture change.

trinigul

Use MSM and MTG...4a/b hair. The slightest bit of moisture makes it curl up.

Got natural twa and have been "accused" of putting stuff in my hair to appear mixed :confused: :mad: . I got all defensive and said I have gel (Elasta QP glaze) in it...but I haven't been wearing that for weeks now and the hair is still shiny and curly ALL DAY.

It's not like I didn't send my accuser a link to this site. You can lead a horse to water.....I think she should be more concerned with her thinning temples.

sareca

Oh yeah, I forgot about the MTG. I only used it once while braided. I was afraid the smell would get "caught" in the braid and stink uncontrollably.:look:

toinette

Tricking the president
trinigul said:
Use MSM and MTG...4a/b hair. The slightest bit of moisture makes it curl up.

Got natural twa and have been "accused" of putting stuff in my hair to appear mixed :confused: :mad: . I got all defensive and said I have gel (Elasta QP glaze) in it...but I haven't been wearing that for weeks now and the hair is still shiny and curly ALL DAY.

It's not like I didn't send my accuser a link to this site. You can lead a horse to water.....I think she should be more concerned with her thinning temples.

LMAO @ accuser :lol: but in any case, i am using MTG and my new growth is coming in straighter as well. if i go by how my roots feel, i wouldnt think my hair has grown any but it definitely looks longer.

Nanyanika

Alli77 said:
I've noticed that my hair has been wavier than usual since using MTG.
Thats exactly what i noticed after using MTG, even when i stopped for a while it was still more loosely waved.

RainbowCurls

ichephren said:
MSM does change hair texture, and so does Silica. Do a search on "msm" and you'll find previous threads on msm and hair texture change.

Silica had better NOT change my hair texture! I'm transitioning to get rid of the multi-textured look! I don't want the horror to start all over again when I've finished transitioning!

Nanyanika

caligirl said:
Would this MSM work just as good as a texturizer? What brand do you take and how much?
Yes i think it does, I used it too when i stopped MTG and my newly growing hair began to wave more.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Hormonal changes can indeed change the texture of the hair. I know people that went from blond and straight to brown and curly when pregnant and I myself had blue black straight hair for a year or so before i started developing (at age 10 or so). Then it went back to my normal texture and color.

sareca

FlowerHair said:
Hormonal changes can indeed change the texture of the hair. I know people that went from blond and straight to brown and curly when pregnant and I myself had blue black straight hair for a year or so before i started developing (at age 10 or so). Then it went back to my normal texture and color.

Weird. :confused: