My horrible salon experience yesterday (Long Vent!!!)

Kellum

I went to the JCPenney salon yesterday to get a relaxer and corrective. I will never be back. The only good thing I can say is that my scalp didn't burn. I explained to the stylist about my situation that I needed a relaxer and a corrective. My previous relaxer done on virgin hair didn't take. She told me that it was fine. She would relax my roots and get them straight and then smooth the rest of my hair. I was like okay. When it gets time for her to do the smoothing I notice that she only does my roots. She then tries to tell me that she doesn't think I need to get the rest of my hair done also. My hair was severely under processed. I told her and show her pics of how my hair is. She keeps trying to tell that she doesn't think I need it and once she washes the relaxer out, condition, etc.. that the rest of my hair will be okay. I told her that it wouldn't. My roots would be straight but all the rest of my hair would still be under processed and poofy. I told her I know what my hair needs. (I really think she just didn't want to do all of my hair because it would take a lot of work. My hair was the longest there execpt for one white chick.) She went and talked to another stylist and then come back with this form for me to sign giving her permission. She does the rest of my hair and then brings me back to rinse my hair.

She goes to rinse my hair and rinse it out very fast. It was only like maybe 5 mins. I had to tell her to rinse my neck and to check my hair because there was still relaxer in my head. She tells me that she was about to check. She then rinses my hair again and put the reconstructive conditioner on. She says that she will let that stay on for 15 to 20 mins. After she left from the wash room I turned around and poured a butt load of that conditioner in my hands and slathered it on my head. I didn't think she used enough.

She then comes back and rinses that out. She didn't rinse well of course and then proceeds to shampoo my hair. She was trying to rush through that as well, but I had to tell her to please shampoo my nape area good. She did 2 shampoos and then went to condition my hair. Put put the conditioner on my hair for a hot second and rinsed. I was too through at this time.

I went back to her chair and she detangles (and she was kind of rough doing that) combed it straight down, sprayed oil sheen and setting lotion on it and sat me under the dyer to dry.

After the dryer cut off she blew the rest of my hair dry. I told her to please use heat protectant on my hair when flat ironing. I think she used it maybe once and used a butt load of oil sheen. The flat iron OMG was disgusting. I didn't see until she was finished with my hair. The plates were brown and it was a cheap ceramic flat iron from Walmart. When she got finished my hair was stick straight and flat to my head. My felt dry, there was no shine, and didn't move at all. :wallbash:

She then tells my hair would look a lot better if I got my ends trimmed and she would do it for free. I declined and told her I was going to this lady that always do my trims. I paid my $65 and left.

I went got my ends trimmed by this white chick not too far from where I live. They always do a good job. I told her to trim my ends. She said about half an inch. That is just what she did. Just gave my a good trim. I love those girls. Well worth the $8.

When I got home I hopped back in the shower and then slather a butt load of FSP on my hair. Let that sit, and then re-neutralized for 2 more times. Let that sit. Applied my Nexxus Keraphix, let that sit. Then deep conditioned, applied my leave ins and style. My hair felt 100% better after I got finished.

My hair is still not all the way straight!! It is better than before. It is like 85% straight but I can deal with that. At least now I can do roller sets. I will be doing my own relaxer from now on and only going to the salon to get my ends trimmed. Those white chicks always do a good job just trimming what I ask.

Sorry for the long vent. I just had to get that off my chest.

Happy Friday!!!

ETA: I attached a pic to show my flat hair full of oil sheen. It was all stuck together. There is an indention in the middle of my hair because I just pulled it back in a pony tail when I left. I was too disgusted to wear it down.

Attachments

• 260686305029_0_0.jpg
    260686305029_0_0.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Some stylists just don't listen :nono: I was frustrated just READING this! At least you got a good trim and were able to fix the problem at home. Now you can rollerset! :yay:

Kellum

Some stylists just don't listen :nono: I was frustrated just READING this! At least you got a good trim and were able to fix the problem at home. Now you can rollerset! :yay:
It was frustrating. She was trying to tell me that my hair would be fine. All I needed to do was blow dry and flat iron it. I told her I didn't like using heat in my hair. I didn't want to do that, UGH!!!!

Now I will be a roller setting fool. Those chicks always do a good job with my trims.They only cut what I ask and no more.

Kellum

Well I am glad it worked out and nothing serious happened to your hair.:yep:

I know. That's why as soon as I got home I hopped in the shower and re did my hair. I really think she did a poor job of washing my hair. I don't like to take chances.

soulie

Had you been to this stylist previously? I would never trust someone's first work on me to be chemical or cut. I'm glad you had the knowledge to make things right after you got home. Will 85% relaxed be enough for you? That should be pretty straight and still leave you with body....

yvette

I have never heard anything good about JcPenney salons. I don't know why people continue to go there or how they stay in business.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

No offense to you but I wouldn't have wanted to do your hair...I'd be scurred!:blush: It's obvious you have a preference for another stylist and you should try and stick with them because it'll take the stress off of you. I'd be afraid that anything I did wouldn't have been good enough. Most stylists only relax to about 85% these days, to avoid excessive damage and give a little s-curl for body. Maybe that's where she was? Because I don't comprehend...you wanted bone straight? I think she was giving that with the flatiron? Isn't that common now? Correct me if I'm wrong...I do mine at home (texlax now) lol.

I can certainly comprehend how you feel but oftentimes (and I'm not talking about incompetent stylists at all), clients just kvetch about every single little thing because the stylist didn't do whatever in the exact same manner as another. I mean, there's a point where you have to let the stylist work. If unsure of their skills, that's when you have to go back to the preferred stylist. I hope you find a good one. Are you in school? You should ask girls with great hair where they get it done. I went to a JC Salon and I loved it because they have a great reputation with Black hair...but that was in my area. I realize all is not the same.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am glad that everything was fixable.....I would have smoothed the stuff like I wanted. I hate dumb ppl that dont listen to what I want for MY hair. If you dont wanna do what I want dont do it at all.

Last edited:

Kellum

Had you been to this stylist previously? I would never trust someone's first work on me to be chemical or cut. I'm glad you had the knowledge to make things right after you got home. Will 85% relaxed be enough for you? That should be pretty straight and still leave you with body....

No, this was my first time going to her and my last. I believe it 85% will be okay. It is better than what it was. Before I was like maybe 50% relaxed and that was just too much going on.

I'm glad I knew to go home and re do my hair too. I probably would be bald. I'm just going to do it myself from here on out.

Moniquenuss

Awww I am sooo sorry this happened to you! I hate going to the salon to get a relaxer because they are always trying to tell you what you need to get done and what you should be doing at home. All while their next clients head is looking like a birds nest!

Kellum

No offense to you but I wouldn't have wanted to do your hair...I'd be scurred!:blush: It's obvious you have a preference for another stylist and you should try and stick with them because it'll take the stress off of you. I'd be afraid that anything I did wouldn't have been good enough. Most stylists only relax to about 85% these days, to avoid excessive damage and give a little s-curl for body. Maybe that's where she was? Because I don't comprehend...you wanted bone straight? I think she was giving that with the flatiron? Isn't that common now? Correct me if I'm wrong...I do mine at home (texlax now) lol.

I can certainly comprehend how you feel but oftentimes (and I'm not talking about incompetent stylists at all), clients just kvetch about every single little thing because the stylist didn't do whatever in the exact same manner as another. I mean, there's a point where you have to let the stylist work. If unsure of their skills, that's when you have to go back to the preferred stylist. I hope you find a good one. Are you in school? You should ask girls with great hair where they get it done. I went to a JC Salon and I loved it because they have a great reputation with Black hair...but that was in my area. I realize all is not the same.

No offense taken. I did have a preferred stylist but he is too unreliable. He will stand you up and not show for the appt. The only thing I wanted was for her to make sure all of my hair would be one texture. I didn't want straight roots and the rest of my hair poofy. My hair was very under processed like 50% relaxed. I didn't want it bone straight just one uniform look.

Believe me I wasn't being too picky. She just didn't want to do. I spoke with her before I went for my appt a couple of days earlier and then before she started my hair that day. I thought we had an understanding of what I wanted.

I am all about letting some one do their job, but you are not going to rush through my hair.

Highly Favored8

Glad everything worked out for you though. We live and learn. I did the JC penny thing one time no relaxer just a roller set and I tell you never again.

Kellum

^^^ You are right. We do live and we learn. I learned that I will do my own hair except for trims.

sheba1

I have never heard anything good about JcPenney salons. I don't know why people continue to go there or how they stay in business.

Tell me about it! I once grew my natural hair well past SL so that I could go to a salon and get a relaxer and bob cut. The lady (black stylist referred by someone with nice hair from my church) kept asking me if I was SURE I wanted it cut... I assured her I did. I'd showed her dozens of pics of what I wanted and she proceeded to hack my hair to 1 inch long all over my head. There would be no bob, there would be no swing; and then she marveled to everyone that would listen that I had actually wanted to cut all my hair off when it was a pretty good length. Um... so much for listening. That was the last time I let a stylist get anywhere near my hair with a chemical service. I've been natural and, pretty much, stylist free ever since. Even when I bc'd my already natural hair a few years ago, I did it myself. DIY is the way for me. Apparently, I'm the only one who cares enough.

MRJ1972

I am sorry about your experience, but I am really glad that you went home and RE-WASHED your hair...

I sent my daughter to a salon and they left relaxer in the back of her hair ( although, they deny all knowledge and wanted to CHARGE me for a treatment to grow it back :wallbash:!!!!!!!!)

Needless to say, her hair broke off to nothing in the back and it has been 2 years and it is JUST starting to grow back :wallbash:

Your hair looks great, and it should thrive with the rollersets!!!!