My Intro // Longtime LURKER Finally Joined!

missbugg21

Hey Everyone! I am a long time lurker, but new poster. :newbie:

I started my HHJ in May 2010 when I decided to transition to natural hair. That is when I learned about the dos and don'ts of haircare. Prior to that I was self-relaxing way too often and using too much heat and my hair wouldn't grow past NL. :nono:

My first transition lasted 8 months. In January 2011, I decided that I didn't have to be relaxer-free to have healthy hair, so I relaxed. But, the difference was that I started stretching my relaxers to 12 weeks (Jan., Apr., Jul., and Oct.), protective styling, and DC'ing religiously. My hair started to thrive and grew to APL.

I got pregnant in August 2011 and decided to forego my October relaxer since I was still in my first trimester. That turned into my second attempt at a transition. I trimmed about 2 inches in January 2011, but unfortunately, my second transition attempt only lasted 8 months (again) and I relaxed in March 2012.

I have literally been back and forth A THIRD TIME about transitioning because I love the idea of having long, chemical-free hair, but I can't seem to make it past the 8 month point during the transition. I prefer to wear straight styles and I found that it required too much heat, so my frustration would always lead me back to a relaxer. I literally feel like a creamy crackhead who keeps relapsing after 8 months of sobriety!

I’m currently 12 weeks post and at this point, to avoid a relaxer, I’m considering a sew-in to protect and grow out my hair. But I was overwhelmed during my trip to the BSS today, so for now, I’ll just do nothing until I’m “moved” in one direction or another. :lol:

Anyway, thanks for reading my intro... I look forward to getting to know you all as we continue on this journey together.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Last edited:

Coffee

Welcome, you've come to the right place!! You can get all the help you need and your questions answered :yep:.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Hi & welcome! You have to do what's right for you hun :) if you can PS to keep you from relaxing that's great but if you feel you need to relax that's fine too. As long as your hair is healthy it doesn't matter natural or relaxed. There are a ton of women on here natural and relaxed and we are more than willing to help you on your journey. Good luck!

BlaqBella

Welcome to LHCF and you've made the right choice to be still for a while until you're more sure of what you want. And i'm sure you know that either way you go there will be bumps in the road to get over, but being wise/cautious can result in it all being well worth it.

JudithO

Welcome :) :)

If you like to wear your hair straight all the time.. then the perm may be for you. Regardless of your choice... this is the right place to learn healthy hair techniques.