my kinky twist are a mess

LaDolceVia

ok, two days ago i had kinky twist with extentions put into my my unrelaxed hair. instead of curling the ends the woman who did them burnt them. so going on my bf's advice i let him cut off the burnt ends and culr them useing the boiling water method. big mistake! the steam caused my hair to frizz up and seperate from the extention hair. my haor looks like a big frizzy mess. on that note i'll end with a question or two...

1. if wetting my hair causes it to frizz up, how am i suppose to wash the braids every other day; does anyone have any tips?
2. do any of you use any type of gel to hold the twist in?
3. i used kanekalen(sp) hair but my boyfriend said that i shouldve used hair that is dreadloc textured. do any of you know what its called?

thanx girls....

MamaBraidedIt

Oh I'm sorry this happened to you.

1) Why do you wash them every other day? Too much washing messes up the braids--especially twist. You may just want to clean your scalp with a sponge or use a skirt bottle versus a full wash.
2) Beeswax. They have all different kinds at the BSS.
3) I call it Kinky Hair/Afro texture. It'll be the kinkiest looking hair in the hair braiding hair section of the BSS.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

LaDolceVia

thanx alot, it never occured to me to use beeswax. i wonder though, if the beeswax will be drying on the hair? anyone? thanx

seraphinelle

I have never used the dreadlock hair to do my twists, since the very first time I got it done. I use the slightly 4a looking hair. Very tight coils. And gives my twists a spring.

Hmmm... try beeswax, not too much though, otherwise it'll be hard to get moisture to your own hair.

I also sometimes use locking gel.

As far as washing. Try to get a spray bottle so only your roots get shampooed and just be careful when rinsing it out.

balisi

Kanekalon is not the right type of hair to use for kinky twists -- your bf is right. The hair he's referring to is probably Marley hair, but that is only one type that is appropriate for twists.

It is usually safe to wet your kinky twists after at least a week, but don't manipulate them too much. When done correctly, no gel is required to hold kinky twists. I advise against the use of beeswax, as it can create a nasty build up on your hair that is near impossible to remove, even with the strongest clarifiers. Trust, I've seen this happen.

LaDolceVia

amwcah said:
You should have used Marley Afro hair. Braids by Breslin has a message board. In one of the discussions, the kinds of hair for kinky twist are listed. Here is the link-- HTH

thanx for the info! the reason i used kanekalen(sp) is because on the "grow afro hair long" site she mentioned useing it instead of regular synthetic hair fir braids and i assumed the same went for kinky twist.
i guess i'll have to get them done all over again. i've only had them for two days and they're already coming out. ahh well... back to the drawing board.