My little problem with twist outs

inthepink

The reason I sometimes prefer braidouts over twistouts is the ends. When I do a braidout, I stop about an inch before and put on a perm rod to curl the hair. I end up with very nice smooth curls this way. But for a twistout, it just doesn't seem to work! I stop twirling about an inch down but my hair starts twisting on its own and I roll it around the roller as quickly as I can. The next morning when I take them down, I get curls but they are crinkly where there roller was...not smooth. I guess b/c it's twisted AND curled. How do you twistout experts remedy this?

Honey1

You have the same problem I have, I would like to do twistouts but they don't stay. I think the twist stay better with naturals than relaxed hair. I was thinking about using small rubber bands at the end of the twist and then roll the hair. I know someone out there has a better solution.

Angelicus

i do twistouts instead of braidouts. just like u do your braidouts, Hairlove. I make two-strand twists tightly and stop about an inch from the ends and use lavendar rollers, some with the snap on covers, some with the double or single prong clips.i hope that someone on here can find a soulution to your problem

sengschick

The Bun Master
Ummm, I'm not sure. I just took a fresh "tropical" twistout down this morning and love it. I usually don't braid my ends all the way down either when braiding out. I twisted down further than I would typically braid, put the rods on and had great results. Maybe you should try twisting further (leaving only .5" or .25" out) and smoothing out your ends. I put Mango butter on mine to make the "set".

syoulee1

[ QUOTE ]
Honey1 said:
You have the same problem I have, I would like to do twistouts but they don't stay. I think the twist stay better with naturals than relaxed hair. I was thinking about using small rubber bands at the end of the twist and then roll the hair. I know someone out there has a better solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, alot of times the twists stay better with natural hair. I rarely wear twist outs but when I do, I just make sure that my ends are well moisterized and they curl on their own

Lindy

WEll I'm relaxed, and i don't have a problem with my twists staying in at all. As for the ends, i twist all the way down to the end, then roll it with my sponge roller wrapped in end papers. I think your problem might be with the type of rollers you're using on the ends... sounds like they're making your ends crinkly. The sponge rollers don't do that. The ends just come out curly, then when i take the twists out, the ends look slightly curled under.

inthepink

Thanks, Lindy. I'm going to try using my Caruso Sponge rollers on the end the morning after and see if they work. Then, if that does it, I'll buy a pack of sponge rollers to use over night.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i use the perm rods, i wrap the roller paper around the perm rods though so that they stay on and the curls arent crunch

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I'll buy a pack of sponge rollers to use over night.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I use the medium-sized sponge rollers -- I think the small ones would make the curls too tight...
Good luck with the Caruso's Hairlove... I think it should come out good with those, but you said you'll put in the rollers in the morning...what are you going to do with the twists to keep them from unraveling overnight???

Also, I don't roll each twist individually -- I group a few twists together and roll them on one roller

inthepink

Lindy - do you leave the ouchless bands on when you roll?

See, my problem is that once i stop twisting, the hair continues to twist on its own so that even though I stop, it ends up almost going to the end anyway.

inthepink

Honeydrop - do you twist all the way to the end? Or do you stop at a certain point? If you stop, how do you keep it from twisting on its own so that you can roll untwisted hair on the end?

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Lindy - do you leave the ouchless bands on when you roll?

See, my problem is that once i stop twisting, the hair continues to twist on its own so that even though I stop, it ends up almost going to the end anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't use ouchless bands on my twistouts at all. How are you using those?? It's fine for the twist to go to the end...

inthepink

Oh ok, Lindy. I thought I saw in your album a pic of you with your twists with bands on the ends. I figured that was how you kept them from twisting to the end. I guess that pic is deceiving and there are no bands at all! My twists always continue to twist on their on...weird. I'm just going to try the sponge method. Thanks!

inthepink

Another question, Lindy...do you fingercomb your twistouts the next morning or do you comb through? Also, how do you hide your parts?

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I guess that pic is deceiving and there are no bands at all!

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there aren't... I left them down that night because someone called and said they were coming by the house, and I didn't want to put my rollers in until after they left!!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Another question, Lindy...do you fingercomb your twistouts the next morning or do you comb through? Also, how do you hide your parts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove, I think that a lot of people just fingercomb, but that doesn't work for me
I take my small plastic Goody "afro pick" and gently comb through it... not so much that my hair bushes out, but enough that the hair blends into the parts and that the bottom part comes together.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
The reason I sometimes prefer braidouts over twistouts is the ends. When I do a braidout, I stop about an inch before and put on a perm rod to curl the hair. I end up with very nice smooth curls this way. But for a twistout, it just doesn't seem to work! I stop twirling about an inch down but my hair starts twisting on its own and I roll it around the roller as quickly as I can. The next morning when I take them down, I get curls but they are crinkly where there roller was...not smooth. I guess b/c it's twisted AND curled. How do you twistout experts remedy this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove there is no reason to stop twisting, i twisted all the way to the ends then held it in place while i rolled the ends.

Irresistible

Hairlove
you couldnt comb or fingercomb, or the natural part will frizz unlike relaxed hair, just seperate like with the braid out , and work it into the style slowly with your fingers

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove there is no reason to stop twisting, i twisted all the way to the ends then held it in place while i rolled the ends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when I twist to the end and roll, I end up with weird crinkled curls on the end...instead of smooth ends like I do with a braidout where I stop and roll an inch that is unbraided. I am going to try sponge rollers to see if that helps.

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when I twist to the end and roll, I end up with weird crinkled curls on the end...instead of smooth ends like I do with a braidout where I stop and roll an inch that is unbraided. I am going to try sponge rollers to see if that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i think i had those too though come to think of it