My Mini Braids (no extensions)- Pic Heavy!

LadyPBC

Thank you. I've only seen "micro braids" in reference to extensions where there's a bunch of weave for an itty bitty piece of natural hair. I called these mini braids because most people are familiar with mini twists and these are about the same size as those.

manter26 - you may have mentioned this but why did you decide on mini braids rather than mini twists? I tried the mini twists but by the time I finished my left front side I was so disappointed I couldn't go on:perplexed. Most people think my hair is thick (dense?) because it can look full or cottony but its not thick at all. I soooo want to try this protective style - it would be great for the time I spend at the gym. I could rinse or co-wash and keep it moving/:grin: Can't wait for more details.

manter26

Thanks everyone! I'm about to get on the road to my sister's place but I'll come back and answer questions in a few hours.

:love::love::love::love::love: I love them. Can you do my hair next!?

:lol: my brother says he's next.

There was a lady on youtube who had mini braid but her's were approximately 1/2 the width of yours. She took them down a few times a year using a straight pin.

Unfortunately she removed her video.

I like this style because you don't see many people wearing it.

That sounds tedious. I could never go that small.

Can you come over and do mine for me?

:lol: the family keeps me busy.

manter26 - you may have mentioned this but why did you decide on mini braids rather than mini twists? I tried the mini twists but by the time I finished my left front side I was so disappointed I couldn't go on:perplexed. Most people think my hair is thick (dense?) because it can look full or cottony but its not thick at all. I soooo want to try this protective style - it would be great for the time I spend at the gym. I could rinse or co-wash and keep it moving/:grin: Can't wait for more details.

twists tangle on me. i need to cowash freq. i'll explain more later.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
you are cute, love the nose ring.
i will admire from afar-i think i would drop dead if i ever attempted them, lol.

LaToya28

They are beautiful. After seeing this, I think I will do them on my daughters. Can't wait for your e-book!

Sunshine77

I love Mini braids! They are the best thing I've done for my hair. I get all of the benefits of extensions without the tension. I don't have to fight with tangles/dreads like I do after long periods of twists. My scalp doesn't itch like it does when I wear cornrows. I keep mine in until I can get my finger under the braid (about 6 weeks)

FearfullyMade

I love how mini braids look when they're styled in a high bun ponytail. I just would hate taking them out ( like when I use to get micros)

manter26

I'll go into this more...

Twists don't work well in my hair. I go in with high expectations but it's always a fail. I like to cowash or just water rinse my hair often and I can't do that with twists. They get fuzzy really quickly. Hair some how comes out of the twists and wraps around them like a spider's web. The ends also get frayed and I get splits and knots. In braids, my ends work together and curl and are in better shape than when loose.

manter26

I love Mini braids! They are the best thing I've done for my hair. I get all of the benefits of extensions without the tension. I don't have to fight with tangles/dreads like I do after long periods of twists. My scalp doesn't itch like it does when I wear cornrows. I keep mine in until I can get my finger under the braid (about 6 weeks)

Ditto to all of this, especially the bolded. :yep:

lamaria211

manter26 im only sl so I probably wont get to keep mine in as long as you but what do I have to do to keep them in the longest?
How often do you cowash? Poo wash? DC? M&S etc?

manter26

manter26 im only sl so I probably wont get to keep mine in as long as you but what do I have to do to keep them in the longest?
How often do you cowash? Poo wash? DC? M&S etc?

I cowash about twice in a week. I cover my hair every night with a silk scarf. I don't shampoo usually but if I swim, I'll shampoo. I ran out of DC so I probably won't do that too often. I moisturize with a leave in when my hair is wet, I'll run it through and seal with oil. Sometimes I use a bath and body works body butter with a wax in it :blush: on my ends. If I use that to seal, I don't have to M&S for a few days. If I just use oil, I'll spray my hair every day with a mix of conditioner and water.

ETA: sorry, I didn't answer this question before, I thought I multiquoted it.

Ok manter26 you inspred me now what do I have to do to keep them in for 4-5 weeks

I would say the most important thing to make sure the braids last is taking the time to make the braids tight. Loose braids won't last very long at all. Tight braids (not tight at the root) can better withstand washing and styling.

Last edited:

Mjon912

You've made great progress! And your braids look great! I can't imagine doing that myself, it'd take me a month to get them in and a month to get them out

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
These braids have given me the best retention and my hair feels and, los it's healthiest when in mini braids. Once this weave is out I'm going back

MzSwift

manter26
I went to your mini braids blog and now I know what I've been doing wrong. I did not braid them tight enough. When I do this next batch, I'll make sure to braid it tighter. My care routine is very similar to yours, even down to the night time routine so I hope I can get them to last a little longer.

bronzebomb

I really like this on you. But, I'm not sure if I would be able to undo these without pulling my hair out too!

Chameleonchick

manter26 Hey I came back to ask a question. Which one of these pictures were you at APL? I'm trying to get an idea of what it would look like on me. Also, do you have a lot of shrinkage?

Pooks

I love using box braids (no extensions) as a long term PS. Yours are gorgeous! I especially like the braiding pattern. Great job!

nakialovesshoes

I really want to try this in my hair. I went to a braid shop but they want to charge me $70 to put them in.

LunadeMiel
I called a stylist today & I'm getting mine done on Saturday. I have 4-5 inches of hair & she's charging me $30 so considering your length that doesn't sound too bad to me. Your hair is gorgeous BTW.

manter26
In the pic of the braids from 2009 did you curl them yourself or did your hair do that on it's own?

manter26

manter26
I went to your mini braids blog and now I know what I've been doing wrong. I did not braid them tight enough. When I do this next batch, I'll make sure to braid it tighter. My care routine is very similar to yours, even down to the night time routine so I hope I can get them to last a little longer.

That's good to hear. Let me know how that works out for you and what difference you see. I wonder if that's where a lot of other people run into issues. It takes a little longer to braid tighter but for me it's worth the payoff.

I love using box braids (no extensions) as a long term PS. Yours are gorgeous! I especially like the braiding pattern. Great job!

I love your braids! I can't wait until mine are that long. I think mini braids in general are seen more so in the UK than over here. I wore them exclusively when I was little. I always look for UK naturals to see what's going on in that hair world...

manter26

I really like this on you. But, I'm not sure if I would be able to undo these without pulling my hair out too!

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I don't have any hair added so there's no hair to pull out. I just unwind the braids.

manter26 Hey I came back to ask a question. Which one of these pictures were you at APL? I'm trying to get an idea of what it would look like on me. Also, do you have a lot of shrinkage?

I'm APL now. I don't have much shrinkage in the "now" pics because my hair was braided after it was dry and stretched. I sprayed the ends only with water to curl them a little. Loose, I have about 50% shrinkage. My cowashed braids shrunk maybe another inch or so but I get a good show of length from mini braids.

If I wanted to stretch them again I could put my hair in a bun (as in one bantu knot) to dry after cowashing.

I really want to try this in my hair. I went to a braid shop but they want to charge me $70 to put them in.

I would LOVE to see the end result if you get it done.

LunadeMiel
I called a stylist today & I'm getting mine done on Saturday. I have 4-5 inches of hair & she's charging me $30 so considering your length that doesn't sound too bad to me. Your hair is gorgeous BTW.

manter26
In the pic of the braids from 2009 did you curl them yourself or did your hair do that on it's own?

My ends curl on their own. The size of the braid determines the diameter of the curl. If I put in 8 or so large braids, my ends would have a 3B-ish curl rather than the tiny loops I have now. My hair was damp in the '09 pic so the dry hair looked different, like a TWA.

NaeChail

I have mini braids in now. I love them. Can someone direct me to the blog though so I can get more tips on maintaining them??