My Mini Braids (no extensions)- Pic Heavy!

MissAlinaRose

I absolutely love it, they look gorgeous and really remind me of the set I did. I did mini braids on my natural hair 2 years ago and have wanted to do it in my hair again all year but just keep putting it off. I really might just go ahead and bite the bullet after seeing this. I really miss the ease of them. Mini braids are the only hassle free way to have wash and go hair with my hairtype and its a spectacular protective style I also love their staying power, they can last several months if I want them to. Thanks for sharing.
:poke:
C'mon BMP let's go for it! Matching pixie braids...whatchu say?? lol

BillsBackerz67

I love it. Braids look great in my hair the first 3 days and then after that they look rrally old fuzzy and unkempt. Grrrrrrrrr.

Leeda.the.Paladin

OP, your braids are simply gorgeous. I've read through this thread and it's amazing how different people's hair is. I've done braids, not even ones as small as yours and I get matting. Especially if I get them wet (I was swimming a lot with the last set).

Now twists, I can wash 'em and wear 'em for weeks.

I absolutely love it, they look gorgeous and really remind me of the set I did. I did mini braids on my natural hair 2 years ago and have wanted to do it in my hair again all year but just keep putting it off. I really might just go ahead and bite the bullet after seeing this. I really miss the ease of them. Mini braids are the only hassle free way to have wash and go hair with my hairtype and its a spectacular protective style I also love their staying power, they can last several months if I want them to. Thanks for sharing.

I remember those! They were so cute. Please post pics if you do them again!

manter26

OP, your braids are simply gorgeous. I've read through this thread and it's amazing how different people's hair is. I've done braids, not even ones as small as yours and I get matting. Especially if I get them wet (I was swimming a lot with the last set).

Now twists, I can wash 'em and wear 'em for weeks.

I remember those! They were so cute. Please post pics if you do them again!

That's very true. I often wonder if it's the hair itself or the technique.

4HisGlory

manter26 Thanks for this post! I would love to have your help. I've had my braids in for 2.5 weeks and they are screaming to come out. They are fuzzy and frizzy, but I love the protection they provide. I tie them up with a silk scarf every night, co-wash or rinse 2 - 3 times a week then moisturize with oyin leave-in conditioner and seal with castor oil. I have also washed them 2 or 3 times (can't exactly remember). I went swimming with the kids a couple of times so I had to clarify.

Thankfully, I'm not really going anywhere so I don't care how frizzy they look. I want to make it to 4 weeks. If/when I do go somewhere, I just put a thick headband on. I would love for them to last longer and look better. What do you think I'm doing wrong. How can I keep them from frizzing, especially at the root. Does parting matter?

Attachments

• downsized_0607121403.jpg
    downsized_0607121403.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 78
  • downsized_0607121405.jpg
    downsized_0607121405.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 72

manter26

manter26 Thanks for this post! I would love to have your help. I've had my braids in for 2.5 weeks and they are screaming to come out. They are fuzzy and frizzy, but I love the protection they provide. I tie them up with a silk scarf every night, co-wash or rinse 2 - 3 times a week then moisturize with oyin leave-in conditioner and seal with castor oil. I have also washed them 2 or 3 times (can't exactly remember). I went swimming with the kids a couple of times so I had to clarify.

Thankfully, I'm not really going anywhere so I don't care how frizzy they look. I want to make it to 4 weeks. If/when I do go somewhere, I just put a thick headband on. I would love for them to last longer and look better. What do you think I'm doing wrong. How can I keep them from frizzing, especially at the root. Does parting matter?

nappygirl Parting doesn't necessarily matter. I like to use a grid parting method because I'm less likely to have stray hairs that missed being braided or random strands criss-crossing my head and feeding into other braids. The parting shouldn't matter when considering how long it takes for them to get fuzzy.

The two things that I would recommend is to making sure you braid tightly and tying the hair up to dry it. Here's my article on the difference between a long lasting set of braids and braids that won't last so long: http://minibraidmethod.com/2012/06/how-to-mini-braids-that-last

Make sure you are braiding tightly all the way down the length of the braid so the strands of hair that aren't so long can't work their way out of the braid. The roots shouldn't be tight, but the braid itself should be. A tight braid will be stiff to the touch.

As for my other recommendation, after shampooing or cowashing- try drying in a ponytail or bun until mostly dry. I cowash then wear a top knot until about 90% dry then let it loose to dry completely. The hair has less chance to frizz when it's in a bun or ponytail. You can also flat twist or do large braids after a cowash to salvage this set and get it to look a little fresher. The resulting twist out or braid out should stretch the braids and minimize the fuzzies.

I hope that made sense and helps a little. :)

Last edited:

Marand13

I love these! I used to do them a long time ago, now im thinking i should add them back to my rotation of protective styles. They are so pretty.

BlaqBella

Manter26 I noticed you were doing these braids from a post of yours I came across just before you did/completed them, and my interest was immed. peeaked. I had visited your blog before *i think* and I quickly clicked the link again, and kept it open everyday. So I got daily updates on the style and I was so excited to see them. I hope my hair has filled in enough to rock them since I adopted a new regimen in January. I was so happy to see this thread (since I had finally stopped watching your blog), but have just been busy up til' now. Thank you for sharing Manter26. Absolutely gorgeous and inspiring.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I luv them! I just completed them on my texlaxed hair & plan on keeping them in till the end of june

manter26

Manter26 I noticed you were doing these braids from a post of yours I came across just before you did/completed them, and my interest was immed. peeaked. I had visited your blog before *i think* and I quickly clicked the link again, and kept it open everyday. So I got daily updates on the style and I was so excited to see them. I hope my hair has filled in enough to rock them since I adopted a new regimen in January. I was so happy to see this thread (since I had finally stopped watching your blog), but have just been busy up til' now. Thank you for sharing Manter26. Absolutely gorgeous and inspiring.

I think you're referring to my tumblr...I randomly update it with my hair and what I'm doing. Be sure to visit the blogspot because it's dedicated to my braids and it will have much more info on my hair and regimen. Thanks so much for the compliments! :grin:

manter26

If anyone is interested in a challenge thread, I'd be happy to start one. Just let me know. :yep:

Thanks so much to everyone for all the love!!!! :grin: :yay:

NaeChail

Challenge?? YES!!!! I'm IN!!!!! I got my current set of mini braids with that intention, a personal challenge to go all summer in mini braids. But you guys would hold me to it lol. Let's do it!! Please!! Lol.

lamaria211

manter26 said:
If anyone is interested in a challenge thread, I'd be happy to start one. Just let me know. :yep:

Thanks so much to everyone for all the love!!!! :grin: :yay:

Challenge yaay im in!!!

Charlie555

I tried to start mine & I guess my ends are too blunt from a trim a few months ago. Any tips on how to avoid having the braids unravel? I did them pretty small too.

Saga

The Generous Queen
Count me in on a mini braid challenge! I used to rock these when my hair was a TWA two years ago. I want to start PSing with my own hair, but since its not long enough for decent buns and mini-twists are my mortal enemy, mini-braids it is!

manter26

I tried to start mine & I guess my ends are too blunt from a trim a few months ago. Any tips on how to avoid having the braids unravel? I did them pretty small too.

Charlie555 What's your hair type? I don't usually braid to the very end because the braids are harder to take out if I do. I braid on stretched hair, so my braids are pin straight when I put them in. I cowash or spray the ends with water to get the ends to curl and they'll stay in just fine. If that doesn't work, my other suggestion is to curl them with perm rods once a week or wear them up.

hair4romheaven

manter26 with you not braiding the ends it doesn't tangle? Whats your method for stretching prior to braiding? Last ? How long do you keep it in. I want to try this.
Thanks

NJoy

Here I grow again!

I especially love and appreciate this view. Beautiful!

4HisGlory

manter26 Ok, so what about roots? The braid and end frizzes don't bother me as much as the puffy frizzy mess at my roots. Any tips for this area?

manter26

manter26 with you not braiding the ends it doesn't tangle? Whats your method for stretching prior to braiding? Last ? How long do you keep it in. I want to try this.
Thanks

hair4romheaven
I braid until there is an inch or less of hair at the ends. My ends don't tangle at all. My hair actually acts like it has some sense and the curls/coils go in one direction and are smooth after I wet it. I braid my sisters'/niece's hair the same way and they are 4B's. After a few washes even my niece's coarse hair will work it's way into a perfect spiral at the ends.

I stretch by air-drying over night in large braids. I work in sections. If I don't complete a section, I braid it up in and it's even more stretched the next day.

I keep them in pretty long. I could probably go 8 weeks, no problem. I'll document this set on my blog and show pics of how it's holding up and what I do to maintain them week to week.

manter26

manter26 Ok, so what about roots? The braid and end frizzes don't bother me as much as the puffy frizzy mess at my roots. Any tips for this area?

I'm assuming it's not all new growth since it's only been 2.5 weeks. I think you needed to braid a little closer to the roots. For now the braid out or twist out should smooth and stretch the roots as well. Wear a silk scarf at night (not a bonnet) to help the hair lie flat.

NikkiQ

Totally going to give mini braids a try and keep them in for a month. I'm not the best braider so I hope they don't come loose on the ends :nono:

Sent by me from my Android phone.Boom

Charlie555

Charlie555 What's your hair type? I don't usually braid to the very end because the braids are harder to take out if I do. I braid on stretched hair, so my braids are pin straight when I put them in. I cowash or spray the ends with water to get the ends to curl and they'll stay in just fine. If that doesn't work, my other suggestion is to curl them with perm rods once a week or wear them up.

I'm a texlaxed 4something lol. I never fully mastered the hair typing. I will try wetting a few with conditioner & water then see what happens. Thanks for the tips!

yorkpatties

I keep coming back to take a peak at your braids. I love them! I look like your starter pic now. You're giving me true inspiration!