My Mini Braids (no extensions)- Pic Heavy!

nlamr2013

manter26 gorgeous! I plan to try this style this weekend. Question do you ever wear them down do you let it fall in your face or pin it back?

manter26

manter26 gorgeous! I plan to try this style this weekend. Question do you ever wear them down do you let it fall in your face or pin it back?

nadaa16
I don't typically wear it down because I have bangs. I've had pixie bangs, shorter than my eyebrows- I pinned those into a pompadour or flat twisted them. My bangs now are at my bottom lip, so I can tuck them behind my ears if I ever where my hair down (which is next to never). I think I still look a bit Rick James-ish because of bangs but I'm also not a fan of having my hair out anyway.

My everyday style is a top knot bun. I'm very low maintenance when it comes to hair. I just want it off my neck and out of my face.

manter26 what do you do with your ends

BlkOnyx488 Right after braiding, I wet them with a little water and seal with a massage/body butter from Bath and Body Works. I might repeat that every two weeks and in between I'll seal with an oil (not as often as I should).

nlamr2013

Ok thank you! I thought so, I never really like having my hair down in a braided style because of my bands as well.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm currently rockin mini braids too. Can I still join the challenge even though I'm relaxed?

I'll post pics Monday

beautyintheyes

i would love to try this but my hair is at short as your first picture and im looking for jobs. do you thing its professional enough?

Chameleonchick

manter26 how big are your parts? I put about 5 braids in last night and I used a big section of hair maybe 3/4 of an inch parting and my hair is just too fine to do this all around. I took one out and put a twist in and it was good and plump. So discouraging.

Jobwright

Beautiful! I may try this on my daughter next weekend. Dance recital this weekend with a strict dress code or I would knock it out tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

manter26

I'm currently rockin mini braids too. Can I still join the challenge even though I'm relaxed?

I'll post pics Monday

Sure, I'll have a thread up. Anyone can join. Braids are processed or heat damaged hair are more likely to unravel but you are welcome to join in. :)

i would love to try this but my hair is at short as your first picture and im looking for jobs. do you thing its professional enough?

I think so. When my hair was short in '09, I wore a lot of headbands. I worked in a hospital doing research and saw docs, pts, scientists, etc...

manter26 how big are your parts? I put about 5 braids in last night and I used a big section of hair maybe 3/4 of an inch parting and my hair is just too fine to do this all around. I took one out and put a twist in and it was good and plump. So discouraging.

Most of my parts are about a cm square. They are slightly larger around my edges. The more braids you do, the better the overall look is because the parts are hidden. Here's a comparison of two sets of braids in my hair from 2010: http://minibraidmethod.com/2012/06/braid-density

Last edited:

RUBY

I would like to do this style but I don't have think hair so I'm thinking it wouldn't look as good as the OP's. This is why I normally get my hair braided with extensions.

manter26

I love these! How do you keep the ends from
getting frizzy?

I use a thick butter and some water and smooth the ends between my hands. When the butter wears off, I seal with water and oil. I switch between the too. I used to add gel but I get the look and feel I want with butters/oils alone.

I joined the challenge. But is the book up yet??

Sorry, not yet. I'm waiting on delivery of my cover image. I'm still proofing as well. (I've been lazy with that lately). I think what I'll do is put on the site as an introductory version, keep tweeking it and re-release with any needed updates.

I would like to do this style but I don't have think hair so I'm thinking it wouldn't look as good as the OP's. This is why I normally get my hair braided with extensions.

You can always try I see. I do like the look of extensions but they put so much tension on my scalp and they are heavy. Last time I had extensions my friends kept leaning on them and accidentally pulling them. I thought I would get scalped that night. I took them out the next day.

Jobwright

manter26 said:
I use a thick butter and some water and smooth the ends between my hands. When the butter wears off, I seal with water and oil. I switch between the too. I used to add gel but I get the look and feel I want with butters/oils alone.

Sorry, not yet. I'm waiting on delivery of my cover image. I'm still proofing as well. (I've been lazy with that lately). I think what I'll do is put on the site as an introductory version, keep tweeking it and re-release with any needed updates.

You can always try I see. I do like the look of extensions but they put so much tension on my scalp and they are heavy. Last time I had extensions my friends kept leaning on them and accidentally pulling them. I thought I would get scalped that night. I took them out the next day.

Pretty good for the first try, I think. I still need to figure out what to do with those frizzy ends or is that just a part of it...

Attachments

• image-1388884106.jpg
    image-1388884106.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 56

manter26

Pretty good for the first try, I think. I still need to figure out what to do with those frizzy ends or is that just a part of it...

Very good for your first try! The braids at the top could be braided a little further down. Spray the ends all over with water or a water/conditioner mix and seal with a butter, oil, or grease. Alternatively, you can cowash then seal and the ends of the braids on top will look like the braids underneath. Great job mom!

MzSwift

On the day that I took this picture, I had interviewed for a state job (that required a degree) earlier that day. I got the job! In fact, the HR Manager had long, gorgeous locs!:lick:

Mine were short. But mini braids are versatile and can be styled almost as freely as loose hair.

Although these are not mini-braids, this is one of my favorite work hairstyles for my mini braids and I decided to try it out on my twists.

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

manter26

Cosigning with the rest of the ladies- you and your hair are beautiful. I have a question for you miss, how do you part your hair that way. I mean really ... I have tried and failed. I love the diamond formation of your parts because it adds flair to the style. Help a sista out. TIA <3

manter26

manter26

Cosigning with the rest of the ladies- you and your hair are beautiful. I have a question for you miss, how do you part your hair that way. I mean really ... I have tried and failed. I love the diamond formation of your parts because it adds flair to the style. Help a sista out. TIA <3

I'll post a full explanation on my blog. Hmm...I've never thought of it as diamonds before. I section my hair off then part in rows, then make squares. I follow the shape of my head and are what they are. I'll PM you when the article is written because I can't explain well without pics.

NaturalfienD

I'll post a full explanation on my blog. Hmm...I've never thought of it as diamonds before. I section my hair off then part in rows, then make squares. I follow the shape of my head and are what they are. I'll PM you when the article is written because I can't explain well without pics.
Thank you for the quick reply girl! I will be on the lookout for the PM ... keep doing what you do. :yep: :yep:

manter26

I PM'd a few people who said they were interested in the ebook...which is finally done! If anyone else is interested in more info, send me a PM. :)

MsAminta

Beautiful! I really like how you do various styles with them too. Very versatile. How do you get them to stay so neat when you cowash so often (at the roots)? From the pics, I could see the new growth, but it still looked neat and presentable. If I can my roots to stay neat, I would definitely do this as a protective style when taking a break from my wigs.

MsAminta

Oh and I subscribed to your blog in my google reader. Looking forward to the launch of your new site! :D

manter26

Beautiful! I really like how you do various styles with them too. Very versatile. How do you get them to stay so neat when you cowash so often (at the roots)? From the pics, I could see the new growth, but it still looked neat and presentable. If I can my roots to stay neat, I would definitely do this as a protective style when taking a break from my wigs.

I put them in a top knot to dry so that helps cut down on the frizz, but really they stay neat because of the way I braid. I braid tightly from the onset so even with a ton of cowashing the length of the braids do not frizz. Especially since this set is so small, they look as good now at week 5 as they did at day 1.

If I need to, I'll redo the perimeter but I like that they are loose at the root because it takes tension off my hair.

Thanks for subscribing. I hope to have the new site up next week. :)