My mom's silver hair

Mahalialee4

Well dyes were invented for yt folks. Hardly any of them have their natural color after a certain age. And they are SO DEATHLY AFRAID OF GREY OR SILVER HAIR. tHEY GO TO GREAT LENGTHS TO COVER IT UP.
And for the lady that said it bothers her to see older black people dying their hair black....well, better than blond, or red. They're just trying to feel like they still have some youth left. They may have had a rough time when they were younger and just trying to buy back a little time. When they start breaking out the suspenders, canes and long dresses, then I would raise my eyebrows. lol.

like they say:" monkey see monkey do, they do it, we do it too. When I get white, wanna be just like you."

LovinLocks

I LOVE it! I might have to take that photo to my family reunion to try and convince the older women to quit it with the dag-on black hair dye. I hate that! I think silver/ Black & Silver/White hair is sooooo beautiful. I can't stand seeing older women & men...65+ years old with jet black dyed hair. YUCK!

HOT DANGITY, Mook!!! I needed this, badly. I just might color print the pic of the O.P.'s Mom's hair. I JUST dyed my hair . . . . yeah JET BLACK and came on here to find out the deal with black hair and all kinds of crap I've read it causes; i.e., cancer. I fell into the black dye trap around 2005-2007 at the urgings of various people, men and women telling me as a new grad I would be competing with the younger crowd and that I "should/needed" to dye my silver/white hair.

I succumbed. Early though I rebelled by leaving a strip of white front and center (which wound up looking like a skunk and I loved it). it got kinda hard to keep that swatch of hair separated during dying and I got lazy and started doing my whole head :nono:.
I just knew I didn't want to be one of those "women 65+ years old with jet black dyed hair" The last dye session I chose dark brown figuring I'd start attempting to go lighter to not fit into that group. Went back to the jet black today. :ohwell:

Dying has gotten to be a sort of habit. And, now I can't stand the white new growth. When I think of the white (not even silver last I checked) grow out and the YEARSSS of half and half horizontal waiting for it to grow out (I ain't cutting) - the picture ain't pretty.

I am thinking I'll just have to endure it (or, of course cut, NOT) and let it do what it do. I know in my head the insanity needs to stop. If I weren't married I'd probably do another BC. Dang it, just did one of those last year and it's now past shoulder length. I kinda don't wanna start over.

Know what I wish . . I wish I could bleach out the dye. I found out last year that bleached hair does not = natural silver or white hair :whyme:. I'm sure any 'tician could have told me that.

Well, guess I can journalize and make a game out of leaving my hair alone, let it do what it do (colorwise). It'll be interesting seeing the photos and the growth. That's one thing with leaving my hair alone, not dying it will make the new growth tres obvious. BUT, it will be encouraging as I walk the path to waist length hair. :yep:

This is what I HAD. See my white streak?
Hosted on Fotki">Hosted on Fotki

Last edited:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ooooo Weeee! Your momma has some pretty silver hair! It I thought that my grays would grow in like that, I'd pour all my henna and indigo down the drain (and I have alot!) :lol:

Fhrizzball

HOT DANGITY, Mook!!! I needed this, badly. I just might color print the pic of the O.P.'s Mom's hair. I JUST dyed my hair . . . . yeah JET BLACK and came on here to find out the deal with black hair and all kinds of crap I've read it causes; i.e., cancer. I fell into the black dye trap around 2005-2007 at the urgings of various people, men and women telling me as a new grad I would be competing with the younger crowd and that I "should/needed" to dye my silver/white hair.

I succumbed. Early though I rebelled by leaving a strip of white front and center (which wound up looking like a skunk and I loved it). it got kinda hard to keep that swatch of hair separated during dying and I got lazy and started doing my whole head :nono:.
I just knew I didn't want to be one of those "women 65+ years old with jet black dyed hair" The last dye session I chose dark brown figuring I'd start attempting to go lighter to not fit into that group. Went back to the jet black today. :ohwell:

Dying has gotten to be a sort of habit. And, now I can't stand the white new growth. When I think of the white (not even silver last I checked) grow out and the YEARSSS of half and half horizontal waiting for it to grow out (I ain't cutting) - the picture ain't pretty.

I am thinking I'll just have to endure it (or, of course cut, NOT) and let it do what it do. I know in my head the insanity needs to stop. If I weren't married I'd probably do another BC. Dang it, just did one of those last year and it's now past shoulder length. I kinda don't wanna start over.

Know what I wish . . I wish I could bleach out the dye. I found out last year that bleached hair does not = natural silver or white hair :whyme:. I'm sure any 'tician could have told me that.

Well, guess I can journalize and make a game out of leaving my hair alone, let it do what it do (colorwise). It'll be interesting seeing the photos and the growth. That's one thing with leaving my hair alone, not dying it will make the new growth tres obvious. BUT, it will be encouraging as I walk the path to waist length hair. :yep:

This is what I HAD. See my white streak?
Hosted on Fotki">Hosted on Fotki

Your hair is gorgeous and I hope when mine comes in it will be as lush. I know some people steadily dye lighter so the newgrowth isn't as drastic and it's more of a gradual process so perhaps you can look into that or see a proper hair stylists that can help you on going back to white.

RedVelvet310

Okay your mom has now made me look forward to getting old! I don't think my hair will naturally become this colour... but I will DYE it this colour if need be! LOVE IT :love:

PureSilver

Her hair is beautiful! It looks like starlight!

i totally agree! Beautiful!

Thanks for bumping this. I need this kind of inspiration. The only thing is once you start dying, you have to "transition" to gray and I'm afraid of the two toned look. Right now, I have just on my temples and I feel too young to have that look. I want the courage to transition to gray.

Wavezncurlz ur hair is very beautiful and will be just as beautiful when u get to the silver stage...perhap even more beautiful then!

Peppermynt

Defying Gravity
DH has been after me to let mine go grey. I showed him the OP's mom's pic and he's like, see - it's gorgeous!

And it truly is. Her hair is absolutely amazing and healthy. :notworthy

grownupnai

Wow! The hair in my family only get's 20 percent grey usually. I have about 3 grey hairs now at 25. I wish I could get this kind of color and lush strands a few decades from now. with some smile lines and forehead lines :smh: I would be a sexy older lady. At that point, maybe we will have hair dye's that won't completely make me go bald so I can be silver. I can only hope. Your mom's hair is so beautiful! This is my future dream hair!

danysedai

Her hair is stunning! Drop dead gorgeous! would love to see her face, skin tone

One is in Havana, alongside the ocean :) and the other is during a visit to Canada where I live.
She's about my skintone (I'm an NC45 in MAC if that helps? but with this gorgeous reddish undertone that only my middle sister inherited). She's 66.

Attachments

• SP_A0251.jpg
    SP_A0251.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 387704_2490097164882_72841966_n.jpg
    387704_2490097164882_72841966_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 114

trclemons

One is in Havana, alongside the ocean :) and the other is during a visit to Canada where I live.
She's about my skintone (I'm an NC45 in MAC if that helps? but with this gorgeous reddish undertone that only my middle sister inherited). She's 66.
Yeesss Honey.....Your Mom and her hair are beautiful!!!

girlonfire

You better werk hunty yass! Your mom is everything!
I've always loved grey hair. My dad is pretty grey at 63 and my grandmother who is pushing 70 claims she's 90% grey but eventhough she lives with me I have never seen her head completely white. she's always dying it with something. The latest is red/magenta.

Gosh I need this to be me. Let this be me at 35 please!!