MY NIGHTMARE...HOW I LOST MY HAIR

**WonderWoman**

Ok so, I have...had a luscious head of hair. I mean, everywhere I went ppl constantly commented on my hair. I wasn't even hooked on hair growth b'cos my hair was soooo thick & healthy. Until...

These were my mistakes:

1: I got a bone straight relaxer from Visible Changes at the Houston Galleria
I'm thinking this is a high-end professional salon with highly trained stylists. They know what they're doing, right? WRONG! After a black stylist assured me that the salon's specially mixed bone straight relaxer would not hurt my hair & that she'd put a lot of protection on my hair, I opted to get a relaxer. :nono:

2: I listened to a Dominican stylist about washing EVERYDAY
A few days after my perm, I went up to NY to hang with my sister. After seeing how a dominican stylist grew her hair out (almost APL & thick, & my sister doesnt even give a damn abt hair), i decided to seek hair advice from this miracle stylist. She loaded me with dominican products (Salerm Protein Balsamo poos & cons, Alterego DC, & Salerm 21) and told me to wash my hair everyday! Trust me, I was skeptical at first, but she explained how the sweat would dry & break my hair if I let it sit in there. She also told me how a client using this same routine grew 6inches in 3 months. I JUMPED RIGHT ON BOARD!
Back in Houston (shout out to my H-town gurrls), i started washing after every workout using her products. And ofcourse with every wash came a blow dryer, and sometimes a flat iron! Some days I worked out TWICE a day. So then, I'd wash & blowdry TWICE a day!!!!!!! :wallbash:
I kid u not....MY HAIR GREEWWWWW!!!!!! 7 weeks post-relaxer, I needed another relaxer baaaaddd.

3. I got another relaxer from V.C. in less than 8 wks
After this relaxer, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!! My hair started BREAAKKING so bad. I became bald in the middle and my hair is now soooooo thin my doctor thinks I may have a medical condition....:lol: :perplexed :mad:...that's not funny....

Eventually I went back to my old stylist. She gasped when I walked in the door, and was like, "WHAT DID U DO TO UR GORGEOUS HAIR?" I had to hold myself from bursting out in tears. My stylist had to cut my hair to neck-length, and HUMP my hair to cover the baldspot. I cried for days. :crying3:
My boyfriend had to hold me back on several occassions from going to V.C. to attack that stylist.
BUT he aint gonna be in NY when I get crunk w/ my sister's stylist :hammer:

BUT AFTER ALL'S SAID & DONE, I THINK IT ALL HAPPENED FOR A REASON. For one thing, I stopped taking my hair for granted.

GIRLS, it's unbelievable! With all my renewed care, my hair has noticeably improved in less than a month. Even my stylist is impressed! My hair is now growing past my shoulder, but in layers (it's always been that way). Here's what I did right:

1: I met SISTASLICK. She told me about Protein & moisture balance. Now, all I do is moisturize!!!

2: I ran into LHCF!!!!! From lurking, I learned to see my hair cut as a positive thing. A way to start over. My new resolution was to RETAIN my ends and GROW my roots. Like I said, this baby is waking up... :yay:

3: Being honest with y'all, I got some MTG help!!!! :lachen:That stuff works. But I just got on board with BT...shout out to Natural Lady & thanks for getting me to come out of lurkdome :)

By the way, i'm a :newbie:

I love you guys!!!!!

jayjaycurlz

I was curious and then afraid to read this post. Awesome 1st post! Welcome fellow newbie to LHCF and your new journey to proper hair care!

Get a Big Sis (what-up ella!) to help you with one-on-one counselling about hair issues, regimnes and goals.

From where you've been, there's only one to grow - OUT!

Here's to growing out your hair and surpassing even your expectations with the help of LHCF! :grin:

Last edited:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
Girl what a hair story, I'm just so glad that your hair was able to recover and bounce back! Welcome to LHCF!!!

**WonderWoman**

I was curious and then afraid to read this post. Awesome 1st post! Welcome fellow newbie to LHCF and your new journey to proper hair care!

Get a Big Sis (what-up ella!) to help you with one-on-one counselling about hair issues, regimnes and goals.

From where you've been, there's only one to grow - OUT!

Here's to growing out your hair and surpassing even your expectations with the help of LHCF! :grin:

Thanks guys! One of the things I LOVE about this forum is the support y'all give. How do I get a big sis????? :ohwell:

PapillionRouge

Welcome!
And glad to seeur on the right track.

But I wanted to say that I dont think the washing everyday was a culprit, just the blow-dry and flat-iron everyday.

Reading how much growth she got made me want to start washing everyday again ;).

Hair Iam

Welcome to LHCF!!!..your hair will thank you in no time.;)
I've been right were you are..without LHCF to help me recover.
So your so blessed to have found your way.

Missi

glad it wasn't worst: hope u have pics of ur hair b4 the "u kno wat": i would love to see ur hair: am I wrong for bein interested in that ladies method: but u kno wat: i just broke out of my product junkie phase: :confused:Since u washed ur hair everyday.....did u wait 72 hrs b4 ur relaxer?:confused: I hear that once u wash ur hair: u have to wait 3 days until u can get a relaxer.

Junonia

Welcome, I appreciate my hair more since being on LHCF

Which one do you think caused the most damage, the washing or blowing your hair everyday?

**WonderWoman**

Welcome, I appreciate my hair more since being on LHCF

Which one do you think caused the most damage, the washing or blowing your hair everyday?

Oh! It was definitely all the heat I was using on my hair (blowdryer + flat iron). Ever since I became sensitive to my hair, I realized how I was killing my hair by doing that.

Also, when I started experiencing the breakage, I tried Nexxus Emergencee and my breakage got even WORSE :eek:. It was the most horrible experience in my life to touch my hair and have gumps of hair come out of my hand. I couldnt stop crying.

Thanks to SISTASLICK, I learned that part of my breakage was caused by too much protein (washing everyday with those protein-based products) & so adding Emergencee to it was overkill!!!!!

**WonderWoman**

glad it wasn't worst: hope u have pics of ur hair b4 the "u kno wat": i would love to see ur hair: am I wrong for bein interested in that ladies method: but u kno wat: i just broke out of my product junkie phase: :confused:Since u washed ur hair everyday.....did u wait 72 hrs b4 ur relaxer?:confused: I hear that once u wash ur hair: u have to wait 3 days until u can get a relaxer.

It was about a week since my last wash b4 I relaxed. I remember because my parents were in touch so I had no time to wash. But Caramelle is right. I dont think it was the washing everyday that did it. Like I said my hair grew like WEED!!!! I think it was b'cos i never moisturized. I just washed, applied salerm 21, and blow-dried and enjoyed the attention my mane was receiving :Flahsssss

**WonderWoman**

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine & updating her on my hair dilema & she burst out that she had the SAME EXACT experience with the SAME salon. I was soooo mad at her. What happened to looking out...

That's y I'm glad we have a forum like this where we actually look out for each other. I cant believe they broke off her hair too & she never said anything.....:mad:

misskris816

A few days after my perm, I went up to NY to hang with my sister. After seeing how a dominican stylist grew her hair out (almost APL & thick, & my sister doesnt even give a damn abt hair), i decided to seek hair advice from this miracle stylist. She loaded me with dominican products (Salerm Protein Balsamo poos & cons, Alterego DC, & Salerm 21) and told me to wash my hair everyday! Trust me, I was skeptical at first, but she explained how the sweat would dry & break my hair if I let it sit in there. She also told me how a client using this same routine grew 6inches in 3 months. I JUMPED RIGHT ON BOARD!
Back in Houston (shout out to my H-town gurrls), i started washing after every workout using her products. And ofcourse with every wash came a blow dryer, and sometimes a flat iron! Some days I worked out TWICE a day. So then, I'd wash & blowdry TWICE a day!!!!!!! :wallbash:
I kid u not....MY HAIR GREEWWWWW!!!!!! 7 weeks post-relaxer, I needed another relaxer baaaaddd.

First and foremost, welcome to the board!

Can you clarify how going to the Dominican stylist was a bad move if it made your hair grow? Hey, it's Monday and I'm still a little slow from the weekend.:lol:

**WonderWoman**

First and foremost, welcome to the board!

Can you clarify how going to the Dominican stylist was a bad move if it made your hair grow? Hey, it's Monday and I'm still a little slow from the weekend.:lol:

My mistake was listening to her about washing everyday, particularly with the PROTEIN products she gave me. Then, I had no clue about protein-moisture balance. I was basically killing my hair with all that protein and no moisture. I didn't even use moisturizing lotions b/c i didnt want to weigh my hair down.
Another mistake was listening to the stylist when she said it was OK to do dominican blow-outs & flat iron my hair EVERYDAY!

I have quickly learned that every person's hair is unique and you should get to know YOUR OWN hair & not let ppl dictate what you put or do to your luscious locks! :) Hindsight, if i had known my hair, I would have seen the signs: the dryness, brittleness, hardness, & scary looking ends (which I thot just needed to be flat-ironed some more to achieve straightness) :confused:

natieya

Ok so, I have...had a luscious head of hair. I mean, everywhere I went ppl constantly commented on my hair. I wasn't even hooked on hair growth b'cos my hair was soooo thick & healthy. Until...

These were my mistakes:

1: I got a bone straight relaxer from Visible Changes at the Houston Galleria
I'm thinking this is a high-end professional salon with highly trained stylists. They know what they're doing, right? WRONG! After a black stylist assured me that the salon's specially mixed bone straight relaxer would not hurt my hair & that she'd put a lot of protection on my hair, I opted to get a relaxer. :nono:

3. I got another relaxer from V.C. in less than 8 wks
After this relaxer, ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!! My hair started BREAAKKING so bad. I became bald in the middle and my hair is now soooooo thin my doctor thinks I may have a medical condition....:lol: :perplexed :mad:...that's not funny....

Eventually I went back to my old stylist. She gasped when I walked in the door, and was like, "WHAT DID U DO TO UR GORGEOUS HAIR?" I had to hold myself from bursting out in tears. My stylist had to cut my hair to neck-length, and HUMP my hair to cover the baldspot. I cried for days. :crying3:
My boyfriend had to hold me back on several occassions from going to V.C. to attack that stylist.
BUT he aint gonna be in NY when I get crunk w/ my sister's stylist :hammer:

BUT AFTER ALL'S SAID & DONE, I THINK IT ALL HAPPENED FOR A REASON. For one thing, I stopped taking my hair for granted.

GIRLS, it's unbelievable! With all my renewed care, my hair has noticeably improved in less than a month. Even my stylist is impressed! My hair is now growing past my shoulder, but in layers (it's always been that way). Here's what I did right:

1: I met SISTASLICK. She told me about Protein & moisture balance. Now, all I do is moisturize!!!

2: I ran into LHCF!!!!! From lurking, I learned to see my hair cut as a positive thing. A way to start over. My new resolution was to RETAIN my ends and GROW my roots. Like I said, this baby is waking up... :yay:

3: Being honest with y'all, I got some MTG help!!!! :lachen:That stuff works. But I just got on board with BT...shout out to Natural Lady & thanks for getting me to come out of lurkdome :)

By the way, i'm a :newbie:

I love you guys!!!!!

Hello fellow Houstonian! I'm so sorry about what you had to go through, but I admire your strength and I'm proud of your accomplishments thus far! We're a family here, so we welcome you with open arms! :D

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Lawd ha' mercy, what a story!! :wow::wow:!!

I'm happy you came through it and shared your inspiring story with all of us! Thank you so much!

Welcome to the LHCF family and enjoy your time here! :kiss:

nicki6

Welcome to the forum!:wave:
Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you already have a big Sis (Sistaslick). I don't think you can do better than her:up:

Missi

I was just on the phone with a friend of mine & updating her on my hair dilema & she burst out that she had the SAME EXACT experience with the SAME salon. I was soooo mad at her. What happened to looking out...

That's y I'm glad we have a forum like this where we actually look out for each other. I cant believe they broke off her hair too & she never said anything.....:mad:

seems like the salon is wat messed up ur great progress