My Plan(Any Suggestions)

sweetdaises2000

Well , my goal is to have healthy shoulder length hair that is strong and can endure stress.So Marching season is coming up soon and I realize that in between school and band I'm going to have no time for my hair.So I've decided to resort to braiding.Now for the plan....
I have braids in now and they've been in since May 24 so theyve practically been in for a little over a month.They are kept moisturized by washing almost every week and Sulfur 8, castor oil and such.
I plan to take them out by the end of July and get them redone around August till marching season is over which should be about early October. My braids usually stay in for about 3 months and my hair is usually fine being in braids for that long. After October I plan on finally getting a perm done proffesionally and just getting a roller set done. Of course I will keep taking care of my hair but thats the plan so far. Any suggestions? Also a question, my hair usually starts breaking a couple of months after my perm if it isnt in braids and I really do not want to resort to a cut. Any suggestions on stopping the breakage for good? All advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank You

sweetcocoa

What type of perms do you normally get? What products do you use and how? After you give us more info we can help you pin point why you might have breakage after relaxing.

sweetdaises2000

Motions perms are the usual.I use the regula formula. I also use their moisturizer on a daily basis and Pink Oil.I hardly ever use grease on my hair unless I'm in braids because they tend to dry out my hair.

sweetdaises2000

Motions CPR usually and Suave Amplified Conditioner with the Shampoo . I use the protein conditioner only every couple of weeks though. Not on a daily basis.

nita4

Sweetdaises, I think that braids weaken the hair so that relaxing right away may be the cause of breakage. When I wore braids, I would relax then braid. My hair grew alot, but it was weak when I went to the salon and I got it cut. But that was before this hair forum. I think when you finally decide to take the braids out...you need to really deep condition and strenghten your hair for a couple of weeks prior to getting it relaxed. Just a thought. Best to you.

Xtal

Maybe you should try different leave in moisturizers. I love Motions CPR, but Pink Oil and Motions Oil
are both loaded with Mineral oil and your hair may need something different.

Maybe you can try a glycerin/water combo like curl activator.

I'm currently using watered down Suave coconut conditioner as a moisturizer.

adrienne0914

i used S-Curl spray or World of Curls gel with the braids. i really prefer the World of Curls, but really ANY activator will do.

you don't use protein conditioner with the braids do you? and what grease do you use on the braids?

as for the breakage, once you take the braids down, how do you style your hair on a regular basis?

sweetdaises2000

No i do not use protein conditioner on my braids. I use normal Suave Amplifying Conditioner and I make sure to get it all out before I finally air dry my braids. I use Africa's Best Clove and Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Sulfur 8 on my scalp . i usually where my hair up in a pony tail when my braids are not in and I have trouble taking care of my hair when its out of braids because it breaks tremendously especially in the back. Thanks Andrienne and everyone else who has replied me.