My protective style

FlawedBeauty

i wouldnt use those things. i used to use those way back and the metal would get caught in my hair and rip it out.

so have u clairified lately and are u adding product to ur hair daily between the 2 weeks u are washing?

i agree with what SouthernTease said about cutting down on the heat if you are serious about growing out your hair.

What about a barette clip instead of the ponytail holder?

sexyeyes3616

What about this? I use a hair donut like this one

I pull my hair through it.

I then take a ponytail holder and put it around my hair
and the donut to create the bun. And then i pin my ends underneath to hide them.

Is this a better choice?

Last edited:

robot.

i like the bun for a protective style. :] and i think it's easier on your hair than the ponytail.

FlawedBeauty

i dont think the problem is in the protective style i think its something else. i asked this 2 other times but i will try once more lol. are u using product on ur hair everyday during the 2 weeks you are not washing? when is the last time you did a DC or clairified? i dont know about that bun contraption, what ever its made of looks like it would dry ur hair out quick.

sexyeyes3616

i dont think the problem is in the protective style i think its something else. i asked this 2 other times but i will try once more lol. are u using product on ur hair everyday during the 2 weeks you are not washing? when is the last time you did a DC or clairified? i dont know about that bun contraption, what ever its made of looks like it would dry ur hair out quick.

I use oct every other day. I did a dc two days ago.

robot.

oh! and i don't think you should sleep with your hair in a protective style (you don't need a hairstyle to sleep, lol). it seems like tossing and turning would pull on the ponytail/ruin the bun, etc. try a satin bonnet silk scarf (they have some really cute ones) or a satin pillowcase. or both! :grin:

Irresistible

I have never heard of product build up causing breakage. I guess if its making the hair hard or something

OP I think the problem is in tucking your ends under the scunchii rubberband, if you could wrap it around and make a bun and secure with a scrunchie it would be much better

I Have a buns album and you dont need alot of hair to do it! also be sure you are putting moisturizer on your ends , and hair for that matter such as a leave in and oil , escpecially on your ends! no moisture, heat styling will lead to breakage!

also I dont think you need to clarify that often (as suggested) as that is very drying on the hair and only some people's hair does well with that! I never clarify it can be so stripping. I think your lacking moisture! :yep:

FlawedBeauty

yea, before i found this forum and my washed were in frequent the amount of product used to weaken my strands severely when i would straighten my hair. then it would become brittle and just snap right off. i dont think it caused the breakage it just made my strands snap off easier as my hair is fine and couldnt handle all the build up. it still happens now if i straighten and go more than 3 days or so with out washing it.

I have never heard of product build up causing breakage. I guess if its making the hair hard or something

OP I think the problem is in tucking your ends under the scunchii rubberband, if you could wrap it around and make a bun and secure with a scrunchie it would be much better

I Have a buns album and you dont need alot of hair to do it! also be sure you are putting moisturizer on your ends , and hair for that matter such as a leave in and oil , escpecially on your ends! no moisture, heat styling will lead to breakage!

also I dont think you need to clarify that often (as suggested) as that is very drying on the hair and only some people's hair does well with that! I never clarify it can be so stripping. I think your lacking moisture! :yep:

sexyeyes3616

what are you doing for moisture during the week??

I wrapped some thin socks around it to protect my hair since you said that it looked like it would dry my hair. So being that fact that is made out of mesh it probably would cause damage. I dont put any moisturizer on my hair. I dont know of any moisturizer that wont weigh my hair down.

FlawedBeauty

this is just my opinion, i don't know if wrapping socks around is a great idea because it may absorb the moisture from your hair. maybe if you had something silk or statin to go around it that would be better.

i would also start trying to find a daily moisturizer for your hair, especially since you are using OCT which i think is mainly protien. if you dont have a good moisture/protien balance you're going to get breakage.

I wrapped some thin socks around it to protect my hair since you said that it looked like it would dry my hair. So being that fact that is made out of mesh it probably would cause damage. I dont put any moisturizer on my hair. I dont know of any moisturizer that wont weigh my hair down.

MzOptimistic

That's what I said..It's obvious. Overall, your hair looks very healthy. Those po ends are screaming...protect me! protect me! I also agree about clarifying. You should only clarify once a month. OP, if you want to see growth and improvement in your ends. Take heed! Pin your hair up and moisturize your ends. Baggied your ends. Wear a phony bun over the baggy.

RubyWoo

Alot of great posts in this thread; however, I especially agree with FlawedBeauty, Southern Tease and Tsmith.

Sexyeyes, there is another poster on the forum that just made a thread about their hair od'ing on Ovation. You need to consider a light moisturizer to use daily; especially w/the protein you'll be using. I totally feel you on moisturizers weighing your hair down because I had the same problems. The ones that I REALLY like that are very moisturizing and light are Abba Pure Gentle Leave-in conditioner and AG Fast Food Leave on conditioner. Both have excellent ingredients and are very light. Another great alternative is Sunsilk Hydra TLC creme.

Although I agree about cutting down heat usage, if you're going to continue with the heat and washing/deep condition on a 2 week schedule, you're going to need to moisturize more. All you need is a little (a dime size amount or a little more) to give your ends the moisture they need.

As for the protective style, imo it is protective since it your ends are tucked. Also, with respect to the sock bun, there are folks that have grown their hair to great lengths with them so you need to find what works for you. I agree w/flawedbeauty in that if you opt for a sock bun, get a silky or satin type of material to use instead of cotten.

The Princess

I use paul mitchell super skinny serum but i just ordered some beyond straight by maxius.

Yes i do.

No because my hair is really thick and thats why iuse heat i like my hair to be really straight.

My hair is really thick too, and I would have to use heat just like you to make it straight, but realizing heat is a killer to hair, I cut down using it, to like one a month, only to check my length, and I have notice a big difference, I have inch past SL. It was hard for me to not use flat irons and Blowdryers but like stated if you won't even longer and thicker hair its worth it. Also what help my hair to stay down, Afer I wet bun, I tye it down with a scarf and in the morning its laying straight, that will last me for two days, which is fine, cause I co wash every two days anywash, or put some type of water, or DC something in my head, just try it out.

The Princess

You can try natural stuff like Aloe Vera Gel and Coconut Oil, or even ORS Olive Oil Creme, where im at heat is a killer, talking bout 110 everyday, and this stuff help, of course some days my hair is dryer and thats when I wet it again, and put this stuff on my ends, and Im good to go, put you need to put some type of moisture on your hair, just imagine if you don't drink water for two days, you will fall out, or be fatigue,:ohwell: your hair gets thirsty too. It works. Or it you you don't want to put any moisturizer on your hair, carry around a spray bottle with some water in it and spray it on your hair, when it start look dry or dull. Hair thrives off mosturizer. Just some suggestions.

nnmiles

Well, op, let me tell you what I have been doing. Simplicity is key for me. In April, I cut off about 4 inches and it has left me with what I have in the picture you see next to my name. That was in April, and now I have stopped flat-ironing, and blowdrying except for on special occassions. Anyways, to make a long story short, I only use UBH moisturizer on my hair. I don't even seal my ends, because for me, whenever I added any kind of pure oil, my hair would shed big time (I started a thread about that too, didn't get too many responses) Anways, my hair has never been softer. Everynight I sleep with my hair in a high ponytail covered with a scarf b/c low ponytails don't allow me to have a good night's rest. My hair is thicker than its ever been, and I'm pleased. I deep condition every 2 to 3 days. I use shampoo everytime I wash because I use aloe vera gel to slick my ends down, and it makes the hair hard, so I shampoo to make sure I get that stuff out. Last night I washed, and deep conditioned and put that high ponytail in my hair and UBH moisturizer in my hair. And today, when I took the ponytail down, it's light and fluffy bouncy hair. I don't have a relaxer. BTW the UBH creme moisturizer has olive oil as its second ingredient, so I don't feel bad about not being able to "seal my ends". I hope this helps. God Bless,
Nat