My Relaxed Hair Regimen: approve or disapprove?

*SkolarStar*

I'm going back to relaxed hair in 24 hours after being natural for 3 years. I've been searching for relaxed hair regimens so I can see if I can still use the same techniques as before but I can't find any updated ones. So here is my own. I know that everyone's hair acts differently, but some things are universal. Please let me know if I should stick with it or change something. TIA. :)

Relaxer day: done at the shop. Make sure the stylist:
-Uses aphogee 2 minute before neutralizer for 3 minutes
-Neutralizes for minimum of 5 min
-If hair is breaking when I get home, neutralize again

Wash day:
-Prepoo with random oil mix (wheatgerm, jojoba, vitamin e, tea tree, rosemary, eucalyptus, and maybe some other stuff I find) under the dryer for 20 min
-Wash with Trader Joe's nourish spa shampoo
-Protein condition with Aphogee 2 min for 5 min
-Moisture condition with Joico moisture balm or AOHSR under dryer for 30 min
-Roux porosity control after rince for 30 seconds and rince out with cool water
-Roller set (I don't know how doable this will be since I know that I need to cut my hair) using magnetic rollers and setting with ____lottabody? Need HELP here_____
-Sit under the dryer until completely dry

Day to day:
-I REALLY NEED HELP FINDING A MOISTURIZER and knowing how to apply it without overdoing it
-Massage JBCO on edges and nape every other day (my nape is my biggest challenge. Has been since birth and all of my sisters have the same issue.)
-Sleep with satin rollers and bonnet
-Vitamins: women's one a day, bamboo, drink lots of water, __HELP__

How is this regimen? Should I change anything such as products, times, etc.? Please help me out.

NicoleSelah

It is better to neutralize right after your relaxer.

As for a moisturizer, Salerm 21 is a good one a little goes a long way.

OP, is your wash day every week?

Last edited:

Destiny9109

Honestly if your hair is still breaking when you get home from the salon you need a new stylist. What relaxer does your stylist use? Most of them nowadays have instructions to use a conditioner before the neutralizer. It's good you can bring your own. I had a bad experience with Affirm because my stylist didn't use the 5 in 1 reconstructor....terrible thinning and breakage:nono:.

If you liked the products you used on your natural hair, I say stick with those or see if they also work for your relaxed hair. That joico mrb is awesome on relaxed hair though.

*SkolarStar*

Honestly if your hair is still breaking when you get home from the salon you need a new stylist. What relaxer does your stylist use? Most of them nowadays have instructions to use a conditioner before the neutralizer. It's good you can bring your own. I had a bad experience with Affirm because my stylist didn't use the 5 in 1 reconstructor....terrible thinning and breakage:nono:.

If you liked the products you used on your natural hair, I say stick with those or see if they also work for your relaxed hair. That joico mrb is awesome on relaxed hair though.

Destiny9109 I don't know which relaxer she uses. I was recommended to her by someone else who said they had an excellent experience with her. The aphogee 2 minute was something I read on the board that worked for me like 4 or 5 years ago. I guess things have changed and companies incorporate now.

NicoleSelah

*SkolarStar*

I only think it's a lot if you don't know what you need. If you need to pre-poo make sure you're using the oils that you need.

I think your wash day regimen is okay except for the Roux porosity control. How do you know you will need that? I would hold off on that until you analyze your hair to see if it's needed.

BTW make sure it's okay to use a product like a protein/reconstructor immediately following your relaxer.

I hope everything turn out well for you. Remember to analyze your hair as you go so you can tweak your regimen as needed.

Luscious850

*SkolarStar* I only think it's a lot if you don't know what you need. If you need to pre-poo make sure you're using the oils that you need. I think your wash day regimen is okay except for the Roux porosity control. How do you know you will need that? I would hold off on that until you analyze your hair to see if it's needed. BTW make sure it's okay to use a product like a protein/reconstructor immediately following your relaxer. I hope everything turn out well for you. Remember to analyze your hair as you go so you can tweak your regimen as needed.

ITA^^
Start off simple then tweak as needed.
Also, I would neutralize before protein to stop the relaxer from over processing.
As far as setting lotions & such go, using diluted lottabody is a pretty popular choice.

PureSilver

This right here. I say neutralize immediately after rinsing the relaxer out. I would use the neutralizing shampoo at least 3 times to make sure all the relaxer is out out out. Everything else is fine. I also say hold off on the Roux Porosity, i bought it after my second relaxer and it did nothing for me.

I hope you have great results and come back with pics please.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Depending on what type of Relaxer the Stylist uses, the Protein Rx may be the Mid-Step.

With Affirm (Lye) with Fiberguard, Affirm 5n1 Reconstructor is used after relaxing & before Neutralizing.

I also think Mizani has a Mid-Step Protein Rx to use directly after relaxing and before Neturalizing.

Your stylist might already be using a relaxer that automatically has a Mid-(Protein) Step.

No experience with Apoghee 2 minute, but I like using a Medium Protein during that step.

Hope you're pleased with your Results.

bklynbornNbred

Are you saying you haven't been to this stylist at all? Honestly I would have a consultation with her before allowing her to put any chemicals near my head (which means you may need to reschedule). If you absolutely can't or don't want to reschedule then please ask all of these questions before you allow her to do anything to you. If you're the type to freeze in the chair then take your big mouth friend/auntie with you. Please.

You need to know what relaxer she thinks will work on your head (& why). What works on Suzy isn't what is best for Mary. You don't want someone that is throwing whatever she has on hand that day on you. I hope this all works out but please ask questions before you agree to anything and if it doesn't sound right walk away.

Guinan

Re-Branding
OP, ur Reggie looks good. I used Millcreek jojoba protein conditioner before I neutralize. The reason for this is that your cuticles (I think) are still open and can receive the protein that is lost when u relax. After the protein, I neutralize for about 5-10mins.

After I relax my Reggie consist of using Millcreek protein every week for about a month or unless I'm satisfied with how my hair feels. I leave the protein in for 1min and then DC for about 30min. *SkolarStar*

Pretty please post some before & after pics:)

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
*SkolarStar*

Please read this blog post by Dr. Ali Syed. You do the mid protein step before neutralizing. He's is the person that first developed the mid protein step with his Affirm relaxer. Others have followed.

Last edited: