My Roots Feel So Dry!!!

greenmetro99

Hi ladies, I thinking about transitioning to natural and I have armpit length hair. I have 8 months of new growth. I have been flat ironing it straight biweekly 2 blend the textures. It’s not breaking off and growing just fine, and I’m not worried about heat damage since I plan on heat training it anyway. My new growth always feels dry compared to the relaxed ends. Yes I deep condition and sit under the dryer after every shampoo. And I rotate between moisture and protein conditioners. My question is how do I get the roots to feel softer and moist while wearing the hair straight? What products should I use? What type of edge control are you using to lay your edges without flaking? The Hicks did not work for me.

My hair is around 3c and 4a in texture. Thanks in advance.

Evolving78

I would try a heavier conditioner on the roots when deep conditioning. Maybe a light pressing Creme on the roots only when you flat iron? And oil moisturizer would be your friend so the hair doesn’t revert.
Design essentials agave and lavender line is really good with adding moisture and is a bit heavy, since it is meant for naturals and transitioners that heat style.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Hi ladies, I thinking about transitioning to natural and I have armpit length hair. I have 8 months of new growth. I have been flat ironing it straight biweekly 2 blend the textures. It’s not breaking off and growing just fine, and I’m not worried about heat damage since I plan on heat training it anyway. My new growth always feels dry compared to the relaxed ends. Yes I deep condition and sit under the dryer after every shampoo. And I rotate between moisture and protein conditioners. My question is how do I get the roots to feel softer and moist while wearing the hair straight? What products should I use? What type of edge control are you using to lay your edges without flaking? The Hicks did not work for me.

Perhaps your hair just doesn't want heat at all. In most cases doesn't heat equal dryness?

charmtreese

It sounds like you need a good cream moisturizer for your roots that does not cause reversion, and maybe seal with a light oil. I like n21 cream moisturizer. I use meille organic’s edge tamer when I want a smoother look on my edgers.

SmilingElephant

Perhaps your hair just doesn't want heat at all. In most cases doesn't heat equal dryness?

I was thinking the same thing...I noticed OP says she flat irons bi-weekly, have you tried going a month or so without heat to see if that will allow your new gowth to absorb more moisture?

I agree with the other posters as well about the deep conditioning, but heat really can dry your hair out if it's being used frequently. :(

P.S. @shortdub78 thanx for dropping the tip about the Design Essentials, I want to flat iron my hair, but I need something heavy, definitely gonna check that out :yep:

Theresamonet

Your natural hair may never feel as soft compared to your relaxed hair. That is most often the case. And you should learn now not to compare the two.

The first thing I would do is stop flat ironing for a while. Just to rule that out as the culprit for the perceived dryness. I'm assuming you're using the products that you know works for your relaxed hair... You may need to try new products with more emollient ingredients. Start by adding more penetrating oils to your DC, like olive, coconut, or avocado oil. I would try different conditioners with different combinations of ingredients, to find out what my hair is capable of feeling like. Not trying to turn you into a PJ, but for a lot of naturals, experimentation is step one of the journey, because we have no idea what our hair can look like or feel like until we find out what it likes. I remember people used to say that when you transition, you should start treating all of your hair as if you are already natural.

You also stated that you rotate between moisture and protein conditioner. With natural hair, you need to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner after every protein treatment.

If nothing changes and your hair is still thriving, this just may be the way your natural hair feels compared to your relaxed hair. That doesn't mean it isn't just as moisturized and healthy.

Britt

As someone who is transitioning for a second time, I just think (personally) that transitioning is a beast and a funny thing. My hair behaves so much better as fully natural compared to have two textures. The new growth part feels harder, less soft and moisturized. I think once your fully natural and your hair will just feel and behave differently. In the meantime, just continue to moisturize the new growth and take time with the two textures. I'd prob lessen the heat applications for a little bit too.

greenmetro99

Hello thanks ladies for the advice! I cant lie, I will continue to use the heat because my hair doesn't do well with air dried styles like braid outs or roller sets. That makes my relaxed hair feel rough and tangled. I have no plans of doing a big chop, so I have to maintain the relaxed hair until its eventually trimmed off years later. My hair has never had a problem with the heat.

After reading you ladies responses, I guess I was expecting the natural and relaxed hair to feel the same. I will return to using coconut oil in my deep conditioner since my hair always responded well to it years ago. And I'll also find some cream moisturizers that you mentioned! I know sista with real hair uses the Aveda brilliant anti humectant so I will check that out.

After I deep condition, regardless if i use protein or moisturizing conditioner, I always follow up with Hello Hydration to detangle so that usually adds enough moisture to my hair, or so I thought.

Is the hello hydration good enough to follow up with?

Evolving78

Hello thanks ladies for the advice! I cant lie, I will continue to use the heat because my hair doesn't do well with air dried styles like braid outs or roller sets. That makes my relaxed hair feel rough and tangled. I have no plans of doing a big chop, so I have to maintain the relaxed hair until its eventually trimmed off years later. My hair has never had a problem with the heat.

After reading you ladies responses, I guess I was expecting the natural and relaxed hair to feel the same. I will return to using coconut oil in my deep conditioner since my hair always responded well to it years ago. And I'll also find some cream moisturizers that you mentioned! I know sista with real hair uses the Aveda brilliant anti humectant so I will check that out.

After I deep condition, regardless if i use protein or moisturizing conditioner, I always follow up with Hello Hydration to detangle so that usually adds enough moisture to my hair, or so I thought.

Is the hello hydration good enough to follow up with?
It adds slip and softness. Not very conditioning (it is not a deep conditioner) but it does the job as a rinse out conditioner. If it has been working for you, then continue.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life

healthyhair2

beingofserenity

Aveda brilliant anti humectant is really good for your edges.
Don’t stop using heat if that is what is working for you. You may just need different products. Look into products that are suitable for transitioners. These products are usually heavier than products for relaxed hair.

I second this.

I don't think heat is necessarily the culprit especially because OP uses it only every 2 weeks. That is super seldom, IMO.

Might just need to try different products.

I've found my hair needs a good poo and conditioner and a great serum. Too much gunk coating it does NOTHING.

Lol.

greenmetro99

I was in the same boat. My regular products made my relaxed ends nice and my roots dry.

I started doing oil treatments to soften my new growth. I think I transitioned for 18 months.

My transition styles when I didn’t apply heat: I smoothed my hair back or up, tied it down with a scarf, and slapped a banana clip on.
View media item 125995View media item 125993View media item 125987View media item 122385View media item 122387

Your hair looks lovely in these pictures. What type of oil treatments did you use?

greenmetro99

It adds slip and softness. Not very conditioning (it is not a deep conditioner) but it does the job as a rinse out conditioner. If it has been working for you, then continue.
ok, I will have to get a more moisturizing conditioner to use while detangling. Can you ladies suggest a moisturizing conditioner with slip so I can easily detangle?

greenmetro99

I second this.

I don't think heat is necessarily the culprit especially because OP uses it only every 2 weeks. That is super seldom, IMO.

Might just need to try different products.

I've found my hair needs a good poo and conditioner and a great serum. Too much gunk coating it does NOTHING.

Lol.
what serum do you suggest?

Evolving78

ok, I will have to get a more moisturizing conditioner to use while detangling. Can you ladies suggest a moisturizing conditioner with slip so I can easily detangle?
The Design Essentials Agave and Lavender has a nice shampoo and conditioner that can be used as a deep conditioner as well. You can still use the Hello Hydration as a rinse out to help with detangling if that is working for you.
I use Design Essentials Express Almond Butter Conditioner, and I’m big on detangling leave-in conditioning sprays. They are light and not heavy like a cream.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
Your hair looks lovely in these pictures. What type of oil treatments did you use?

At that time NJoy Growth Oil, Vatika Oil, Gro-Aut Oil, & I was pregnant (prenatals)

Not so long ago I remember lhcf would crush prenatals and mix w/ oils and applied it to their scalp. Man and I’m looking a Vick’s users crazy.

Evolving78

what serum do you suggest?
I have a bunch of serums
Paul Mitchell super skinny serum is great
Fantasia heat protectant spray is good
I try to avoid serums that have protein in them

A great light oil is Mizani Supreme Oil or Design Essentials Hydrience Argan Oil Mist and Oil.