My scalp is burning BURNING....

DreamLife

My scalp has been slightly burning/irritated since Saturday night to burning like a fire today...and I don't know what it is. In August I had an allergic reaction to BT or realized I had a sulfur allergy, I really don't know. I had used BT for two weeks and for two weeks after stopping my head and neck burned. I ended up having to go to the ER and they told me I had seborrheic dermatitis but I really think they just didn't know what it was. Because my scalp is not flaking or itching it was BURNING and everything looks fine. I even got a CT scan. I feel burning on my neck too. I haven't used any new products, just my regular shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers and oils. Please somebody know what I'm talking about.

Maybe I should have put this in the health forum...

Oh yeah, I had started some vitamins three weeks ago (a multi and women's vitamin and my iron pills) and hadn't taken them in a couple days before the burning started.

HELP!

Last edited:

DreamLife

Not at all, it looks normal...that's whats so bad about it. When I went to the doctors in August they kept looking and saying they couldn't find anything. Tylenol and aspirin doesn't work either, even though the burning gives me a headache as I go through the day.:cry::whyme:

God_Favor

Not at all, it looks normal...that's whats so bad about it. When I went to the doctors in August they kept looking and saying they couldn't find anything. Tylenol and aspirin doesn't work either, even though the burning gives me a headache as I go through the day.:cry::whyme:

WOW! Have you tried aloe vera gel??

Evazhair

I don't feel comfortable really giving hair advice, since I'm not a dermatologist, but I use food grade aloe vera gel Lily of the Desert brand from whole foods when I feel irritation post relaxer. It is edible and it is very soothing. I usually mix it with oils, but in your case I would only mix it with jojoba if I was experiencing what you are, better yet i would apply the gel alone and see how it helps first. HTH

ajargon02

Have you scheduled a follow up appt with a dermatologist for a 2nd opinion? I mean if you have an issue, maybe they can give you a script or topical cream to assist with that burning. I know that when there was this commercial growth spray that came out last year and everyone was on that, I used it, and my scalp was burning. I stopped using it, and it still burned. About a week or 2 later my scalp in the area turned dark brown, broke out and was VERY tender to the touch. I was so allergic to that stuff it wasn't even funny! I know that I didn't go to the derm for it, but I did put hydrocortozine cream on the area(before it broke out in the open sores) b/c I didn't know whatelse to do. that seemed to help at the time. I would definitely see a derm about this to see what they can do for you. :hug2:

God_Favor

Have you scheduled a follow up appt with a dermatologist for a 2nd opinion? I mean if you have an issue, maybe they can give you a script or topical cream to assist with that burning. I know that when there was this commercial growth spray that came out last year and everyone was on that, I used it, and my scalp was burning. I stopped using it, and it still burned. About a week or 2 later my scalp in the area turned dark brown, broke out and was VERY tender to the touch. I was so allergic to that stuff it wasn't even funny! I know that I didn't go to the derm for it, but I did put hydrocortozine cream on the area(before it broke out in the open sores) b/c I didn't know whatelse to do. that seemed to help at the time. I would definitely see a derm about this to see what they can do for you. :hug2:

ITA! Make another appointment ASAP

ravenmerlita

I definitely think you should make an appointment to see a dermatologist. I have some skin allergies and sometimes my scalp gets a little crazy, it can also sometimes get red and irritated. I take benadryl and it helps.

KAT25

My scalp has been slightly burning/irritated since Saturday night to burning like a fire today...and I don't know what it is. In August I had an allergic reaction to BT or realized I had a sulfur allergy, I really don't know. I had used BT for two weeks and for two weeks after stopping my head and neck burned. I ended up having to go to the ER and they told me I had seborrheic dermatitis but I really think they just didn't know what it was. Because my scalp is not flaking or itching it was BURNING and everything looks fine. I even got a CT scan. I feel burning on my neck too. I haven't used any new products, just my regular shampoo, conditioner, moisturizers and oils. Please somebody know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, I had started some vitamins three weeks ago (a multi and women's vitamin and my iron pills) and hadn't taken them in a couple days before the burning started.

HELP!

I probably would stop putting oils on my hair until I find out what is going on cause if you are out in the sun during the day then the oils are cooking on an already sensative scalp. I also would not take any more vitamins and I might would try to not do much to my hair. NO shampoo, conditioner etc... Just maybe some moisturizer on the length of the hair not the scalp.

:bighug: I am so sorry that you are going through this please keep us updated when you find out what is going on. Also for the headaches have you tried massages? They use to help me a lot when I would get headaches all the time.

DreamLife

thats the only thing that has been helping really is massaging my scalp...or when i go to sleep:perplexed

BrownSkin2

HELP!

I had the exact same experience with BT. Mine lasted for a month afterward and that was it. I would see a dermatologist if it persisted. Hope your scalp is fine.

scribblescrabble2

Coming from someone who is allergic to almost everything: Allergies can develop suddenly, and your regular products can definitely be the culprits. Don't use any of them until you get to the dermatologist. As for the burning, hydrocortizone ointment may help but if you use it test it on a small portion of your scalp first.

I sympathize because something similar has happened to me before (redness, intense burning--only I had little teeny tiny bumps scattered over my scalp) and I found out it was caused by an allergy to cocoa butter.

Moroni

Coming from someone who is allergic to almost everything: Allergies can develop suddenly, and your regular products can definitely be the culprits. Don't use any of them until you get to the dermatologist. As for the burning, hydrocortizone ointment may help but if you use it test it on a small portion of your scalp first.

I sympathize because something similar has happened to me before (redness, intense burning--only I had little teeny tiny bumps scattered over my scalp) and I found out it was caused by an allergy to cocoa butter.

ITA. In fact, I've treated patients with similar symptoms. If you're interested in how to eliminate your allergies, take a look at www.naet.com and find a practitioner nearby. If you're not sure which one to choose, PM me, and I'll assist you. The strange thing, though, is that people usually don't have just 1 allergy....so look for other signs, too. I really HTH.

gn1g

Do you oil pull? if so stop and see if the burning stops. Sounds serious to me.

Stop all supplements and see if the burning stops.

Try yogurt on your scalp it will get your Ph back in balance.

jaiku

This may be far off but it could be an allergy to one of the oils. I am allergic to coconut and sesame and I sometimes have a similar reaction to products that contain those oils. If it keeps up it might not hurt to talk to an allergist. They can help you pin point what is causing a reaction. I kept going to the dermatologist for years and they kept misdiagnosing my skin conditions. Once I learned I had food allergies and also stopped using hair products with those ingredients I had no more problems.

scribblescrabble2

ITA. In fact, I've treated patients with similar symptoms. If you're interested in how to eliminate your allergies, take a look at www.naet.com and find a practitioner nearby. If you're not sure which one to choose, PM me, and I'll assist you. The strange thing, though, is that people usually don't have just 1 allergy....so look for other signs, too. I really HTH.

Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out.:yep:

longhairluva

Same thing happened to me girl. I went to the derm and they also told me I had seborrhiec (sp) dermatitis but they were wrong. I had contact dermatitis. I figured it out myself. I used Mizani Relaxer and about a week after my head was on fire. I got some meds from the derm and I used hydrocortisone cream on my scalp nightly. It worked. It took me two relaxers applications to figure out the Mizani was the culprit.