My self braided microbraids....

Well ladies it was just getting to hot down here to continue rocking a wig so I decided to do my own micros for the first time in my life. They definitely aren't as good as some members but I've never been more proud of myself. Thanks for all the tips ladies. Pictures are in my fotki - sorry I don't know how to post pictures still! :blush: Anyway I've also tried doing some interesting things with them that I've never done with my hair before - please leave me so feedback ladies especially those of you who follow braid regimens! Thanks :yawn:

d-rock

Well ladies it was just getting to hot down here to continue rocking a wig so I decided to do my own micros for the first time in my life. They definitely aren't as good as some members but I've never been more proud of myself. Thanks for all the tips ladies. Pictures are in my fotki - sorry I don't know how to post pictures still! :blush: Anyway I've also tried doing some interesting things with them that I've never done with my hair before - please leave me so feedback ladies especially those of you who follow braid regimens! Thanks :yawn:

They're cute. I want to braid/twist my own hair but I do not think I'll be able to sit still long enough to do it myself.

They're cute. I want to braid/twist my own hair but I do not think I'll be able to sit still long enough to do it myself.

It took me a full week including the weekend to put these in! Like you I don't like sitting for all that time and also I'm just so busy with school it's impossible to get too much going with my hair. I was braiding from the back 1st and then I would just cover with a scarf and put on my wig until I had too much hair. then I work the bottom out and the top in a scarf! I think you should try it - you hair is beautiful!

DozenRoses99

You did a great job! I know that you going to really enjoy the low to no maintenance of having in the braids. Also, it is great that you did not have to pay hundreds of dollars to get them put in. Congrats on your hard work!:yep:

Both of you ladies should try it and see if it works for you. For years I used to pay to get my hair braided but i knew they aren't gentle or kind when i go to the shop and when the braids would fall out I'd put them back in myself. Eventually with the help of this board I realized I could do it myself if I wanted to. Try twists first since those are a bit easier to manage! :yep:

ladylibra

man you just reminded me i can do my own extension braids/twists... now how do you forget something like that? :lachen: guess cuz i only did it once and it was a while back...

maybe i should do this soon, it's hot and i'm tired of dealing with my hair right now. off to see your pics! :grin:

Nonie

Your first time? You grow on witcha bad self! Very well done!

Now I'll have to warn you that hand-in-hair is a disease that will become second nature, particularly because you didn't braid to the end; but also because new human hair can be a pain as it unravels easily. You might find some on your pillow or God forbid one falls off your head onto a classmates notebook as happened to me in college! But in time, the hair gets "trained" and hold on much better.

So you'll get into the habit of feeling through your hair to find any that needs redoing, either from getting loose on its own or due to new growth. Now the growth part is fun if you do what I do and just redo them w/o bothering to check length. (I usually feel for loose braids while watching TV and redo one at a time w/o checking length. No comb needed either. Just undo with fingers, separated strands with fingers and then put extension back. In a few months, you just happen to look and it's excitement galore as you wonder where the length came from. That's the joy of doing your own hair. You can redo the braids as they need it and thus prevent the matting that causes breakage and also the painful swinging that causes the braids to fall off with your hair. And you do all that lovingly and with the care that only you can give your hair.

Just make sure you keep your hairline tidy--redoing any that get loose pronto--and you'll have a wonderful journey in braids. Don't be surprised if you get addicted like somebody we know. :look:

MrsWatson

did u do ur entire head??

I do my own, but I sew in the middle...I wish I had the patience to sit there and do my whole head!

DivaD04

those are cute girl, not bad for a first timer. hey it takes me a few days 2 a week 2, shoot if i really don't feel like finishing i'll braid all around one week and finish the middle the following week. ya'll know what it's like when you have lil ones running around in the house, can't sit still for 5 min or maybe 5hrs, but if they ddont need something they want something, and half the time it's nothing...

vestaluv1

Excellent job girl! It looks great... very professional :yep:.
:clapping:

TIP: If you want to post a picture which is in your FOTKI onto your thread...
1. Right click on your Fotki Picture.
2. Click on 'Copy'.
3. Bring up you message window on LHCF.
4. Right click in the message box.
5. Click on 'Paste'. :yep:

You can attach files through 'Manage Attachments' (Found on the same page as the message window under Additional Options)

Sorry for the rubbish instructions :spinning:!

I haven't done my own braids in a while... don't have the patience.