My Slight Set Back And Warning About Water One Fine Hair Daily

almond eyes

Hi Ladies,

So, in October my hair was slowing inching past APL.

Then in January, when I went to do a high bun and my hair looked very thin and lifeless especially at the crown and I had to do some cutting.

I knew that my hair was fine however my density was always high now my density looked thin and as I began to examine my hair it looked broken off in some areas especially at the crown.

I then realized, that my daily warm water spritzes and pulling on my hair to moisturize it daily, baggying caused my hair mechanical damage and hydral fatigue.

And I had also been doing regular protein treatments by the way.

I want to pass on lessons especially to the women with fine hair:

Daily water spritzing everyday not a good idea (hair is weakest when it is weak)
baggying daily and for long periods of time not a good idea
Tugging on the hair too much to moisturize not a good idea

I am upset, however, I have to just learn the lesson and pass on the message. I now only use water when I am shampooing and I do not glop on a lot of moisturizer on a daily basis. For now, I even have to start shampooing every two weeks until my hair starts to get life back again.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
@almond eyes

While I have high density and thick, courser strands, I experienced the same thing, just differently.

I was frequenting the salon and steaming regularly. I didn't use protein. My hair thinned and broke terribly. After I started taking care of my hair, daily spritzing and baggying were still no gos. Even with hard protein use. I had stopped and not been steaming until maybe a year after I stopped going to the salon btw.

Back then, I was relaxed. Now I'm natural. I wear my bun in the same place everyday; same place relaxed and same place natural. In the end, that spritzing doesn't work. Wet hair daily doesn't work. At last, for me.

What you experienced I don't think is uncommon, it's all about what each head can handle and how much it can handle at a time.

Last edited:

Dposh167

i have fine hair and when i was transitioning i used to co wash my hair 4x a week. Sometimes without conditioner, so i would just run my hair under the water. It was a lazy way to moisturize. It made my hair super moisturized...but did a number on my individual strands. My strands were getting stretched out and flimsy and overall thinner looking. I stopped right away. Now I only wash/ co wash 1x a week. I've been doing this for 3 years now and it's so much better. Our fine hair really can't take a lot of tough care that some coarser haired ladies can unfortunately.

GGsKin

Thanks for sharing @almond eyes.

I have fine strands and my hair experienced hygral fatigue when I was going IN on my mhm regimen. Not only was I washing my hair too frequently (daily on some occasions), but I was using way to much ACV and baking soda in my regimen (with every wash). Over a period of about 6 months, my hair became limp and weak and looked thin. I wasn't even using any protein smh.

I was so excited by the positive results I was experiencing; new growth, easy to manage hair, great wngs, that I ignored the rest. Only after my mum made some comments, did I start to take notice and do something about it.

I still rely on the basic bones of my mhm regimen but I pulled all the way back with the use of BS and ACV, as well as frequency of washes (that was more accidental). I read some more and also introduced some things. I realised that my fine, normal- lo po hair didn't need daily moisturising with water or product, to remain hydrated.

Last edited:

almond eyes

@almond eyes

While I have high density and thick, courser strands, I experienced the same thing, just differently.

I was frequenting the salon and steaming regularly. I didn't use protein. My hair thinned and broke terribly. After I started taking care of my hair, daily spritzing and baggying were still no gos. Even with hard protein use. I had stopped and not been steaming until maybe a year after I stopped going to the salon btw.

Back then, I was relaxed. Now I'm natural. I wear my bun in the same place everyday; same place relaxed and same place natural. In the end, that spritzing doesn't work. Wet hair daily doesn't work. At last, for me.

What you experienced I don't think is uncommon, it's all about what each head can handle and how much it can handle at a time.

Thanks for sharing.

How is your hair doing now that you are natural and do not wet your hair daily?

I agree, not every head can handle the same thing.

I just thought the spray bottle would have been more gentle than the shower, however nope!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

Thanks for sharing @almond eyes.

I have fine strands and my hair experienced hydral fatigue when I was going IN on my mhm regimen. Not only was I washing my hair too frequently (daily on some occasions), but I was using way to much ACV and baking soda in my regimen (with every wash). Over a period of about 6 months, my hair became limp and weak and looked thin. I wasn't even using any protein smh.

I was so excited by the positive results I was experiencing; new growth, easy to manage hair, great wngs, that I ignored the rest. Only after my mum made some comments, did I start to take notice and do something about it.

I still rely on the basic bones of my mhm regimen but I pulled all the way back with the use of BS and ACV, as well as frequency of washes (that was more accidental). I read some more and also introduced some things. I realised that my fine, normal- lo po hair didn't need daily moisturising with water or product, to remain hydrated.

That's funny, when my mother also made comments, I was like let me step back a bit.

I also loved the results, however the daily water rinse the daily water spritz made my hair mushy.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

i have fine hair and when i was transitioning i used to co wash my hair 4x a week. Sometimes without conditioner, so i would just run my hair under the water. It was a lazy way to moisturize. It made my hair super moisturized...but did a number on my individual strands. My strands were getting stretched out and flimsy and overall thinner looking. I stopped right away. Now I only wash/ co wash 1x a week. I've been doing this for 3 years now and it's so much better. Our fine hair really can't take a lot of tough care that some coarser haired ladies can unfortunately.

Thanks for the share. I realize that less is more. My poor hair.

Did you have to trim off those thinned parts.

Best,
Almond Eyes

southerncitygirl

Everyone's hair is different. Mine loves lots of moisture and protein. I have fine strands. If I wet my hair slightly, the cream portion of LCO is a cream that has hydrolyzed protein and sometimes my liquid portion does too. I am finding my hair needs more protein that the hardcore one I do once a month. So now I will be rotating between it and a reconstructor.

DST1913

Oh wow Im glad I stumbled across this. Im transitioning and kept reading article after atricle about how water and spritzing daily was almost a must. It has not been good for my hair. Its especially recommended when your hair is in braids or protective styles it was saying that you should spritz it at least 2 times a day. I was like NO WAY. I would be bald when I took down that style if I did that. I thought I was just a weirdo but I see now it doesn't work for a few ppl. I also have soft fine 4C hair. This makes sense!

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Thanks for sharing.

How is your hair doing now that you are natural and do not wet your hair daily?

I agree, not every head can handle the same thing.

I just thought the spray bottle would have been more gentle than the shower, however nope!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

It's much better now. My hair retains moisture well, so there is not need to keep applying moisture.

I was spraying with water and sealing with oil, thinking that was good and would keep my hair from being dry. I later learned that I need to know when my hair is dry and how it behaves when dry.

I now get my moisture on wash day. Just heavy sealing and it works. The only season I can play with keeping my hair wet every 3 days is summer. And even then, maybe 1 week out of the month.

PJaye

Long ago, I realized that the "moisturize and seal daily" mantra was definitely not for me. As a fine haired person, I knew that constantly swelling my hair with water and weighing it down with product could not be good. I also understood that my hair should receive long-lasting moisture and/or strength from my DC on wash day (and to a lesser extent, my leave-in); and, if my hair is not getting that, it means that the products I'm using are ineffective and need to be tossed. IME, there is no need to spritz with water and apply products every single day. For me, that would constitute overkill. I've long wished that people would stop advising others, especially newbies, to M&S on a daily basis.

spacetygrss

Yeah...baggying and steaming (more than once or twice a month max) is too much for me. When I had my hair analysis from Komaaza one of the first things that she told me to do was to STOP steaming because my hair couldn't take it. My hair needs to be washed, conditioned and heavily sealed on wash day and MAYBE refreshed with water a few days later. I'd be bald with daily spritzing, washing/wetting, etc. and I use products with some amount of protein weekly (it's just a matter of how heavy of a protein). Hygral fatigue is real for some of us.

ColibriNoir

Everyone's hair is different. Mine loves lots of moisture and protein. I have fine strands. If I wet my hair slightly, the cream portion of LCO is a cream that has hydrolyzed protein and sometimes my liquid portion does too. I am finding my hair needs more protein that the hardcore one I do once a month. So now I will be rotating between it and a reconstructor.
@southerncitygirl Would mind sharing which hydrolyzed protein cream you use? I have fine strands as well and recently discovered that my hair loves light protein when I wash/co-wash weekly. I'm considering adding some protein to my leave-in to see how my hair responds. Thanks in advance.

southerncitygirl

It is Claudie's revitalizer quinoa-coffee balancing moisturizer. She gives the forum a discount so unless she is having a sale use that. I am now rotating btw komaza supermane conditioner and komaza protein strengthener followed by db pumpkinseed condish as a deep condtioner for my weekly washes. Here are the ingredients: http://store.claudieshairrevitalizer.com/balancing-quinoa-coffee-hair-cream

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Berthorlletia Excelsa Seed Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein, Hdrolyzed Lupine Protein, Silk Amino Acids, Panthenol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6-11, Ceramide 1, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Zizyphus Jujuba (Jujube) Extract,Lactobacillus/Kelp Ferment Filtrate, Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail), Urtica Dioica (Nettle), Llex Raraguariensis (Yerba Mate), Sorbitol, Hibiscus Sabdariffa (Hibiscus) Flower Extract, Coffee Arabica (Coffee) Seed Oil, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel), Plantago (Plantain) Leaf Extract , Tamarindus Indica (Tamarind) Seed Extract, Xanthan Gum, Tocopherol, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Citric Acid, Benzophenone-4.

@southerncitygirl Would mind sharing which hydrolyzed protein cream you use? I have fine strands as well and recently discovered that my hair loves light protein when I wash/co-wash weekly. I'm considering adding some protein to my leave-in to see how my hair responds. Thanks in advance.

southerncitygirl

Your hair will recover. :bighug:Once week washing is usually more than enough for me though in the summer I sometimes co-wash a few times a week. If you want you can gradually trim. May I ask what type of protein you were using?

Thanks for the share. I realize that less is more. My poor hair.

Did you have to trim off those thinned parts.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

It's much better now. My hair retains moisture well, so there is not need to keep applying moisture.

I was spraying with water and sealing with oil, thinking that was good and would keep my hair from being dry. I later learned that I need to know when my hair is dry and how it behaves when dry.

I now get my moisture on wash day. Just heavy sealing and it works. The only season I can play with keeping my hair wet every 3 days is summer. And even then, maybe 1 week out of the month.

I am learning that wash day restores the moisture along with heavy sealing. Other than that I do not need to be putting extra water or products on my hair.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

Yeah...baggying and steaming (more than once or twice a month max) is too much for me. When I had my hair analysis from Komaaza one of the first things that she told me to do was to STOP steaming because my hair couldn't take it. My hair needs to be washed, conditioned and heavily sealed on wash day and MAYBE refreshed with water a few days later. I'd be bald with daily spritzing, washing/wetting, etc. and I use products with some amount of protein weekly (it's just a matter of how heavy of a protein). Hygral fatigue is real for some of us.

I saw a young woman with hygral fatigued hair many years ago and I never imagined my hair would end up the same way.

Hygral fatigue is real.

Best,
Almond Eyes

almond eyes

Your hair will recover. :bighug:Once week washing is usually more than enough for me though in the summer I sometimes co-wash a few times a week. If you want you can gradually trim. May I ask what type of protein you were using?

I use Komaza, I love it. It works. However, the baggying and the daily M&S was a disaster for my hair after doing the method consistently for one year.

Best,
Almond Eyes

HaveSomeWine

Oh wow, that's really scary. I've been washing my hair daily (either water washing or shampoo washing) for at least the past three years and my hair seems to be thriving with it. I assumed I had fine strands, but apparently I actually have medium/coarse strands so that may play a role in it. I also use coconut oil on my hair which is said to prevent hydral fatigue by keeping the hair shaft from swelling when wet. Either way, I will be trying to make sure all of my deep conditioners have some form of protein in them to keep my hair from suffering moisture overload. In the past, I have been using an actual protein treatment like once or twice a year if I even remember. :nono:

This is a really good reminder that it is totally possible to over moisturize your hair. It's so easy to forget that hair requires a balance of protein and moisture and that too much of either can be really bad for the hair.

Rastafarai

I am also fine strand and have to do the exact opposite. My hair drinks up all the moisture I apply to it. While I do not moisturize daily using butters, etc, I have to refresh my hair with a water-based concoction, specifically focusing on my ends. I spritz, add some oil and call it a night. Without doing this, my hair will be a frizzy dry mess.

But, as one member mentioned, not all hair is the same. My fine hair requires constant moisture and cannot thrives without it.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Ladies who stopped daily spritzing are you spritzing at all during the week? How often are you moisturizing?
once a week on wash day like @PJaye. that's all it can take.

I'm going even one step further and say I can't use leave in of any kind. a styler and light oil.

If my scalp is built up from product midweek I will use a co cleanser. no DC or my hair start stretching out and/or breaking.

Last edited:

DST1913

Ladies who stopped daily spritzing are you spritzing at all during the week? How often are you moisturizing?
Once a week on wash day. I do LOC and it lasts all week. I use Jane Carters leave in spray, Oil mixture (olive, JBCO and almond) and Oyin hair dew. I've found that with this combo my hair can stay moisturized for weeks. I had crotchet braids in for 3 weeks. When I took them out my hair was just as soft and moistrized as the day I installed them. That hair dew is my boo. Lol