My transition may have ended!!!

blackbarbie

(It's been 2 years and 8 months).......Or so I think! I haven't worn my hair straight in a few months (since August but for some reason I was thinking it was April....wow, that's how significant it was - couldn't even remember). Anywho, I was thinking I was going to do a BC (or a mini-chop) on September 17th. The date just popped in my mind, but when the date came, I didn't go through with it.

My brother told me whenever I got ready, to blow dry it and he would be able to tell relaxed portion from the natural and would cut it. (I thought you HAD to do it while wet). Well I went to the local beauty school on Thursday night and had them do it and made plans to stop by his shop on Friday. When I stopped by the shop i told him I was ready for my BC. He said "I said just blow dry; not flat iron". I completely forgot. Anyway, I told him to go on and cut off about 1/2 inch and let's hope that's the remaining of the natural hair. (Since he couldn't really tell the diff. between the relaxed and natural, I didn't want to risk losing too much natural length). When I wet it again, I will really be able to tell and if there are more relaxed ends, I will blow dry and head to the salon. (I completely forgot; I was just so looking forward to becoming all natural!)

I am including some pics from before and during my journey:

^^^^^^^May 2006......not even thinking about transition....I think I was in the middle of a long stretch though

^^^^^^^Before transition.....not sure when though

^^^^^^^^December 16, 2006.....one month before my transition

^^^^^^^^April 2007.....3 months into my transition

^^^^^^^August 2007.....7 months into my transition

November 2007

^^^^^^^^November 2007

^^^^^^^March 2008....1 year into transition

^^^^^^^Sometime in 2008 and prior to the very next picture.

^^^^^^^This was sometime in 2008....this was my most "major" chop because I had about 4-5 inches taken off

^^^^^^^^September 2008

^^^^^^^^November 2008

^^^^^^^^November 2008

^^^^^^^^November 2008

There is a "My transition may have ended" (CONT'D) post with the 2009 pictures in it.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=408164

Last edited:

andromeda

You are gorgeous and you have a great head of hair! Congrats on your progress. I really admire your determination in carrying out such a long term transition.

How do you achieve the curls, as shown in your siggy? They're so beautiful and uniform and they look like they have swing aplenty!

blackbarbie

wow your hair is soo pretty what is your regimine?

Right now I wash every 3-4 days and once I am done, I use Rusk Smoother, Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, or conditioner as a leave in. I spray S-Curl on it, which keeps it soooo moisturized! (thanks Noni!). Then I use coconut oil to seal it. I pull it back in a banana clip to dry or either I use a huge elastic headband and double it. I let it slide back on my head into a ponytail position and it stays there. It gives me the fullness of a big pontytail puff when it dries but it doesn't pull all the hair tight like a regular ponytail holder does.

I just sleep with a silk bonnet on and when I get up, I spray my hair with a mist of water, s-curl, and a concoction of all my creamy leave ins.

When I get it flat ironed I get it all curled and each night, I put one jumbo flexirod in it. When I get up the very next morning, it has a lot of curls and a lot of volume. I hardly ever use moisturizers or leave ins on a daily basis when I am wearing my hair flat ironed. I had been in search of a good one but never found it and that's o.k. because I have found that keeping my hair moisturized well (when wearing it in its natural state) has done wonders for keeping it moisturized even when not in its natural state. When I put the jumbo flexi rod in, I apply a little coconut oil around the edges and put a scarf around it so my edges won't revert.

I DC once every 2 weeks and even though I have tried to be consistent with a protein routine, I have to admit that I am really not. It was much easier for me to stay committed to a protein routine when I was relaxed b/c I knew with the relaxer AND the color, I had no choice if I didn't want to be bald.

Hope that helps!

BB

Last edited:

blackbarbie

You are gorgeous and you have a great head of hair! Congrats on your progress. I really admire your determination in carrying out such a long term transition.

How do you achieve the curls, as shown in your siggy? They're so beautiful and uniform and they look like they have swing aplenty!

Thanks for the compliment!

The jumbo flexi rod is my friend!!! LOL
After flat ironing it, I do spiral curls all over. Immediately after this, I comb through with a wide tooth comb and pull my hair on the top of my head as if I am doing a high ponytail. I put the flexi rod in.

The first time I did it, I put is several (as in 4-5). When I woke up the next morning, I looked like Curly Sue. Trust me, one flexi rod will be more than enough and if yo put it in nightly you will have curls for at least 2 weeks. (probably more but I have never gone more than 2 weeks)

BB

Ltown

Greyland
Wow beautiful hair! I'm going to link your progress to the transitioner thread for motivation. I'm at 52 weeks won't have to transition long since I'm only CL but there are others with your length that need to know they can do it.