My Twists Keep Coming Undone...

luxe.li.

So I have never done a full head of twists for a twist out look because my twists don't stay twisted....they always unravel, come undone before I can get more than 3 completed and I feel like I'm constantly re-twisting....then it gets on my nerves and I give up and say, I guess I won't do this twist out look......

Any suggestions or advice ladies?

luxe.li.

PS. I've tried to do twists on my hair that's wet, moist, and dry (and in its natural state) and I still have the issue of the twists unraveling....

luxe.li.

Since my hair is 4 inches long, give or take, I do them about the size of my pinky or thinner just because my hair is too short for the thicker twists. I do not use any product when my hair is dry, when its wet I might use a gel but they still come untwisted, and when its moist I'll use like a gel IC fantasia but it'll unravel at the ends, and when my hair is wet the twists or slicker and they unravel quicker.....

loolalooh

Pinky size is fine.

As for products: I need shea to keep my twists together. Maybe you should switch to butters?

loolalooh

Oh, and be sure to twist all the way to the ends of your hair and then (this helps me) wrap it around your finger a couple of times. (Almost as if you're finger coiling.) Hope that makes sense!

luxe.li.

okay I'll try that.....I don't have any more shea butter left.....you use it on dry, wet, or moist hair?

Nonie

After twisting my hair, I find dipping it in water makes the twists shrink into spirals that when I press together and rolled between my fingers, interlock and stay that way. Doesn't mean some won't unravel, but I just redo them if they do and repeat that step again and that solves that problem.

You can sort of see how the shrunken ends look here:

...and can hopefully see how pressing them together and rolling between fingers and then dipping again in water can sort of make them intertwine so that they form one unit. Pic below shows the ends after rolling then dipping in water and leaving them to drip-dry:

ETA: Another photo showing that coily end interlocking trick:

Last edited:

Sascha

Stay at home Mommy
You have received some great advice. But if none of those work you can take some straws and cut them. You can get about 5 little end rollers from each straw. And roll each end fastening with a little bobby pin. I had to do this when I transitioned because of the relaxed ends and sometimes I still do it with the hair on my crown because it is a strange texture and straightish.

luxe.li.

You have received some great advice. But if none of those work you can take some straws and cut them. You can get about 5 little end rollers from each straw. And roll each end fastening with a little bobby pin. I had to do this when I transitioned because of the relaxed ends and sometimes I still do it with the hair on my crown because it is a strange texture and straightish.

I might try this, yeah my hair is all natural, but my ends won't stay twisted, they just unravel, and if they stay twisted when I untwist the ends look like they haven't been twisted, its annoying....

BrookeLynn

My hair unravels alot in the front. The hair there is very, very, loose, almost straight and the twists never stay. I find that raveling the ends around my fingers keeps them in somewhat.

faithVA

OP would love to hear what works for you when you do figure it out.

I have no advice. My twists unravel from the root :look: So far I have just learned to live with it. :ohwell:

That straw thing sounds pretty interesting.

Good luck though.

Nonie

faithVA, the only thing I know to stop them unraveling at the roots is braiding the base first before twisting. I find undoing braids on just my hair such a pain so I don't mind the puffing; I'd prefer the ease of undoing to the tidiness of not having puffy bases. I actually consider it a good thing when the base is loose because it makes the partings less visible and takes away the scalp-y look of my sparse hair making my hair look fuller coz you can't see my scalp.

faithVA

@faithVA, the only thing I know to stop them unraveling at the roots is braiding the base first before twisting. I find undoing braids on just my hair such a pain so I don't mind the puffing; I'd prefer the ease of undoing to the tidiness of not having puffy bases. I actually consider it a good thing when the base is loose because it makes the partings less visible and takes away the scalp-y look of my sparse hair making my hair look fuller coz you can't see my scalp.

Hey Nonie. I tried braiding at the root about a month ago. It did the same as the twist. It was ok for the first 2 to 3 days then you couldn't even tell that there was a braid there. And when I took it out, I didn't even have to unbraid it. I just put my finger and the root and the hair slid apart. It's crazy.

My hair isn't just puffy, it literally unravels about an inch after 3 days. It will stay if I add extension hair but not if I just have my hair.

Its perfect for 3 days and then the hair gremlin comes in while I am sleep.

Like I said I have gotten use to it.

Nonie

faithVA, I call that lovely magic hair. For many of us loc-ing is what we would be worrying about. Hair that unravels magically would just be an excuse for HIH folks like me to play in my hair. My roots get puffy after I wash only. Do you twirl as you twist? And if you do, do you do it firmly?

faithVA

@faithVA, I call that lovely magic hair. For many of us loc-ing is what we would be worrying about. Hair that unravels magically would just be an excuse for HIH folks like me to play in my hair. My roots get puffy after I wash only. Do you twirl as you twist? And if you do, do you do it firmly?

Nonie, Oh its magic alright. Because after it unravels if you leave it be for a few days it magically locs :lol: And you are right you definitely cannot see any parts in my head.

Yes, Nonie, I twirl when I twist and I do so firmly which is why they look sooooo lovely for the first 3 days :lol: You gave me this talk when I first joined the board.

But after trying it for months on end, within the last month I have stopped twirling when I twist because its a waste of time. I'm not going to get any extra days wear out of my twists. I will have to take my twists out in 5 days anyway. And if I don't twirl then its easier for me to detangle.

Bublin

My hair is very loose at the front and always unravels. What always works for me is rolling the ends with perm rods or satin pillow rollers overnight, on damp hair. In the morning, they are dry and tightly curled.

I went through the same problem when my hair was shorter (and sometime now in my silkier areas). The only way I was able to keep twist in was doing a 3 strand twist in those areas and 2 strand in the rest.

If you are interested look on youTube for vids. I can't post vids with the 'Pod but search for Lexiwithcurls tutorial - her demonstration is pretty good.

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF Baby!

faithVA

I went through the same problem when my hair was shorter (and sometime now in my silkier areas). The only way I was able to keep twist in was doing a 3 strand twist in those areas and 2 strand in the rest.

If you are interested look on youTube for vids. I can't post vids with the 'Pod but search for Lexiwithcurls tutorial - her demonstration is pretty good.

Sent from my iPod Touch using LHCF Baby!

I have not tried a 3 strand twists. I will try that in the back today and see how that works. And it is only certain areas that unravel, the back and parts of the crown and my temples.

faithVA

Ok tonight I twisted the back in 3 strand twists. They felt good going in but not sure. My hair is so soft in the back, I'm not sure it would hold. I love my hair being soft, but at the same time it makes styling hard :ohwell: