My update!! (And should I get a Deva cut??)

Morenita

Hey ya'll, it's been a WHILE since I've posted. I lurk every now and then, but haven't paid much attention to my hair in the last 8 months or so. So this is a small update, as well as my solicitation for some advice!!

It's time for another change. I'm ready to get my highlights touched up and I'm thinking about getting a haircut. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. Other than my color, I don't let anyone touch my hair so it's nerve wracking enough as it is, especially hearing so many horror stories on here about scissor happy stylists... So I've been deliberating this for days on my own and after too many hours of Googling and Youtube'ing than I care to admit, I'm ready to call in the experts :grin:

Here's some pics of my hair as of this moment, and some from January when I straightened it. When it was straight I just felt like it was so lifeless and boring. I mean what's the point of having long hair if it just hangs there?

I'm hoping a cut or a trim or whatever will pep it up but I don't want to make the wrong decision. I wear my hair mostly in braid outs and twist outs, occasionally straightening it a couple times a year. So what do you think, should I opt for a Deva cut, (which is done on dry hair in its natural state) or do I go for a regular cut, perhaps with long layers, with my hair in its straightened state? I'm not looking to lose a lot of length, just some added shape. Or should I skip the cut altogether?

Enough of my rambling, on to the pics!

First, here's some pics to give some perspective.

This is me a couple of months after I started my hair journey and the beginning of my transition. Can't remember how many months I was post relaxer, not many though.

Chop chop, 16 months later (March 2009)

Now here's me currently. This is a braid out, just snapped these a few mins ago)

And here's the January pics

Just before a self dusting

After the dusting and after sleeping in 1-2 buns

Sorry, there's not more current pics. Next time I'll be better prepared for a more thorough update! :) Now gimme some advice plz! :lol: I have an appointment with a Deva Stylist on Friday so I need to make this decision before then. :covereyes My color was done at Aveda last time but I'm trying to save some money. Maybe I should just go back to Aveda, ugh, can't decide!! Help!

Morenita

Thanks! The Deva cut is a method invented by Lorraine Massey (Curly Girl author and Devachan salon owner) where they cut curly hair dry, (and curly) in order to give it a better shape when it's curly. It takes about an hour and they literally cut curl by curl (or in the case with 4a curls, clump by clump at least)

It sounds like a great idea in practice but you know our hair is a little different. And since I don't know anyone who has gotten it done I don't know if my straightened hair will be lopsided or how it will affect my braidouts for example.

LucieLoo12

Its pretty!!!! and Yes i love the DEVA cut! :yep: I am waiting for my hair to grow out more so I can get one!

faithVA

Your hair is beautiful.

There is a thread here on Deva Cuts I will try to find it and post it.

Where are you getting it cut?

If you do get a deva cut, your braid outs should look fine but yes, your straight styles may not.

Let me see if I can find that thread for you.

auparavant

You're so pretty!!! Well, I'd get a Deva Cut if you mostly wear your hair natural so that it falls gracefully in curls. Only thing, when they slice into layers, what's that gonna look like when it's straightened? Tell them you straighten your hair for styling and need something that's gonna work for both.

Last edited:

Morenita

Thank you so much! I saw the 4th one before, but the other 3 were new to me. And come to find out, thread #3 was my transitioning buddy FindingMe, whose hair looks gorgeous as usual :) We tend to do things close together. She chopped, I chopped. She got Aveda color, I got Aveda color. Now I may go the Deva route too :p

Still undecided though. Mostly because I don't do wash n go's (tangles).

Morenita

You're so pretty!!! Well, I'd get a Deva Cut if you mostly wear your hair natural so that it falls gracefully in curls. Only thing, when they slice into layers, what's that gonna look like when it's straightened? Tell them you straighten your hair for styling and need something that's gonna work for both.

Thank you so much! Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. It's looking more and more like I'll just have a consult on the cut and maybe just get the highlights.

Shadiyah

I think you will love the deva cut and you don't wear your hair straight so why would you get it cut straight? Go for shape on your curly hair.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Wow! Your hair took off.
I am not sure about a deva cut if you want longish hair. I've seen mostly shorter deva cuts. I also am not sure about the cut when straight. I've heard that it can look odd with the layers and whatnot. My hair is in layers now and my wash-n-go is a little funny looking - I have a tail that looks great straight but falls weird when curly.

Morenita

Wow! Your hair took off.
I am not sure about a deva cut if you want longish hair. I've seen mostly shorter deva cuts. I also am not sure about the cut when straight. I've heard that it can look odd with the layers and whatnot. My hair is in layers now and my wash-n-go is a little funny looking - I have a tail that looks great straight but falls weird when curly.

See that's the thing, I haven't seen any examples of longer cuts in the 3c/4a range either. I might just do something subtle. Decisions, decisions.

By the way Wavezncurlz, I'm going to Beauty Naturals in Gaithersburg. Apparently the lady I made the appt. with (Catherine) used to work at Oasis and she branched out on her own last year. They gave her good reviews on NC.

I am going to have to move my appointment to another day unfortunately though because my kids have to do a make-up swim lesson session Friday. Now the anticipation is killing me!

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
See that's the thing, I haven't seen any examples of longer cuts in the 3c/4a range either. I might just do something subtle. Decisions, decisions.

By the way Wavezncurlz, I'm going to Beauty Naturals in Gaithersburg. Apparently the lady I made the appt. with (Catherine) used to work at Oasis and she branched out on her own last year. They gave her good reviews on NC.

I am going to have to move my appointment to another day unfortunately though because my kids have to do a make-up swim lesson session Friday. Now the anticipation is killing me!

Thanks for the info. AND Please share your experience when you're done!

reeko43

Beautiful hair! If you do get a deva cut please post pictures. I would love to see what that type of cut would loke lik on longer hair.

FindingMe

Thank you so much! I saw the 4th one before, but the other 3 were new to me. And come to find out, thread #3 was my transitioning buddy FindingMe, whose hair looks gorgeous as usual :) We tend to do things close together. She chopped, I chopped. She got Aveda color, I got Aveda color. Now I may go the Deva route too :p

Still undecided though. Mostly because I don't do wash n go's (tangles).

:hiya: Morenita-:love: your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! (you, too!!) I think it really depends on how you wear your hair. If you wear it mostly curly, I think the Deva cut will benefit you bc that's how you wear it. You'll see, too, that even straightened, it forms a nice cut/style.

Have you thought about bangs? I got bangs and haven't gone back. Curly, they reach just below my eyebrows, straightened, they are longer than chin length, but it gives me some versatility and to me it makes my hair look like a "style."

I've been on vacation for over a week, so didn't catch the thread initially when you posted, so I can't wait to finish the thread to see the final decision!!:grin:

Morenita

:hiya: Morenita-:love: your hair is BEAUTIFUL!!! (you, too!!) I think it really depends on how you wear your hair. If you wear it mostly curly, I think the Deva cut will benefit you bc that's how you wear it. You'll see, too, that even straightened, it forms a nice cut/style.

Have you thought about bangs? I got bangs and haven't gone back. Curly, they reach just below my eyebrows, straightened, they are longer than chin length, but it gives me some versatility and to me it makes my hair look like a "style."

I've been on vacation for over a week, so didn't catch the thread initially when you posted, so I can't wait to finish the thread to see the final decision!!:grin:

Ugh, I am JUST NOW reading this. I really need to set up notifications for mentions or something.

Anywho, THANKS FM!! Good advice too :)

I decided not to get the cut...YET. I think I may revisit that decision in the coming months. I did go see the stylist (Catherine at Beauty Naturals for all of you in the DMV area) and I have to say she is great. We talked about products and co-washing and all kinds of stuff. She really knows her stuff! She actually finger detangled my hair because she likes to stay away from combs. I was floored. She handled my hair the way I would have, and actually more gently at that.

So long story short, I got my highlights re-done and will post pics if anybody cares :rolleyes: Deva cut is TBD :spinning: In the meantime I've been trimming away, my ends are TERRIBLE and I have soooo many ssk's :nono: