My visit to the salon

simsim1980

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board, but I want to tell you about my trip to the salon yesterday. I waited 8 weeks to perm my hair, I went to the Dominicans and she told me I have to take better care of my hair. Can u believe this I send so much money and do everything that I think is right to hear that (I just wanted to cry).

She told me I shouldn’t use motions relaxer because I have 4B type hair and motions will take too long to process. I was using Affirm and I had no problems. She said that could be one of the reason I get so much breakage. I was told that I should not be afraid to use oil on my hair and that OSR carrot oil (in jar) was good. She said my hair can grow nicely, but I need to prevent breakage.

Most people can wash every 3-4 days, but I have to wait up to a week. I was washing every 3-4 days and I think that’s were my breakage came in. Yes, water is my best friend, but waiting a week will keep my hair on my head. This lady and my mother told me I should roller set my hair at night and give wrapping a break and there hair is nice and thick. I was also reading that when u set it help prevent breakage.

Does anyone use OSR carrot oil (in jar) and tell me if it's working for you. I tried Mizani Most. and I like it also.

I would really like any suggestion. Thank u

LondonDiva

Simsim80 welcome,

Do you know what, a lot of this things you were told was actually good advice. Don't be disheartened, take it all on board. You'll learn a lot here too. Yes the water is your friend but keep up with that moisture girl after you wash your hair, IT'S SO IMPORTANT. Everyday I have to spray my hair with oil to keep it moist till it's next wash. I wash every wednesday and sunday. And to be honest I'd like to wash more often than that. Some people prefer once a week others can't wait that long. If 1x a week works, stick with it.

I use ORS Carrot oil and I love it. Add some wildgrowth oil (10 -15 drops) to it if you have some or add a tablespoon of castor/olive/grapeseed whatever you like and mix it up. It makes the product a whole lot better.

I'm actually glad that the woman told you you COULD grow your hair rather than tell you otherwise. She sounds like someone a lot more of us could deal with. Yes try the roller sets instead of wrapping, some have experienced thinning on one side of the hair from wrapping continuously for long periods of time in the same direction.

Girl for a newbie you have a stylist that doesn't seem to lie to you and a mother and a lady that gave you a great tip. This time next year after being on this board your going to have some excellent looking healthy hair.

We are all still learning how to take care of our hair and will always learn new things being on this board. Don't get upset, you should read some old posts of things we actually thought was good for our hair. How I handled my hair last year is different to how I handle it this year, probably to how i'll handle it next year. And each time I wasn't doing it quite right. You'll be on point soon.

Good Luck /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

candychild45

What state do you live in if you dont mind me asking??? Ive only been to one dominican place and it was Maribel's in brooklyn and they were okay but the fact that no one spoke english grated on my nerves and they also had their favorite clients and would skip over you to help them and that ticked me off so I stopped going but I did like the doobie wrap.

Kitkat

Welcome Simsim. Sounds like you have a good hairdresser. Her comments sounded positive and encouraging instead of the negative comments that some hairdressers lob at us. You should be encouraged by what she said, especially that you can grow your hair. That's something that hairdressers are reluctant to tell us for some reason.

I have 4a/4b hair. I used Motions for my last relaxer, and I think I need to go back to Affirm. It feels like I have new growth already, and it's barely been 4 weeks.

I use ORS Carrot Oil in the jar and I love it. It moisturizes so well without being greasy. After I removed my braids for good (had em in for 1 year) but before I relaxed, it made my hair in its semi-natural state very soft and manageable. I'm also a big fan of roller setting. True, it can be time consuming and sleeping in rollers really sucks, but for me it's been the best thing. Try it - you'll like it!!

pebbles

Hi simsim1980,

Welcome to the board! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
She said my hair can grow nicely, but I need to prevent breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very good that she said that. She's positve, and I like that. You know, before I started taking this hair thing seriously, I would wash my hair with any darn shampoo I wanted. I would pick a shampoo depending on if I liked the smell, the color or the shape of the bottom. I have since discovered that picking the right shampoo can make a world of difference on the results you get with frequent washes. Now I use shampoos that are formulated for dry/damaged hair and are gentle enough for frequent use. That has helped me greatly. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hey There!

I think you could still do a conditioner wash for your mid-week wash, if you wanted to /images/graemlins/smile.gif

simsim1980

Thank u for your help and suggestions. I live in the Bronx, NY and the salon is on 233rd street where the #2 train runs.To tell you the truth, I always go there to get a relaxer and wash at home, but the lady that does my hair was getting ready to leave, so this styles did my hair. This was the first time I want and got some good advise and u can tell she tries to help because she talks to her customers and offers tips and suggestions. I was happy I want and not let my sister in my head cause then, I would really be crying.

I have been using the OSR carrot oil for a week and I follow Londondiva advise and put some olive oil in it and its wonderful. My mother is one of those long time Jamaican who believes in not washing all the time, I dont believe in that but the roller setting I'll take on that cause her hair use to be long (know natural and short).

hairfanatic

Hi simsim1980 and Welcome! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

It sounds like your beautician gave you some good advice. It doesn't hurt to try it. When I was relaxed roller setting was the only way for me to go. I noticed less breakage this way and fuller hair.