Nah she got NAPPY N@GGA HAIR...

Dannygirl

Lordly Lordly Lordly...........

So I'm all about the hair and I'm imbrassing my nappy hair and loving it so I was talking to my home boy one day and I was talking about braiding his hair (Remind you he isn't "black" His trini, light skinned green eye guy) and then the subject of his Cousin's hair came up and she was like ya my mom permed that nappy "n" word hair but it fell out. I was like nappy "n" word" hair?????? what do you mean by that? He was like ya that ratnest hair.. :mad: i thought i was going to take a dangon brick and hit him with it...

I was like nah her hair is pretty and its not just some nappy hair "rats" nest as you put it..

I had to walk away at that point because hearing somthing like that just made me think about how much black people put themselves down.. Just made me sad and I knew I'd go off if talked to him any further at that point..

Last edited:

MochaSilk

Dannygirl said:
...I was like nappy ***** hair?????? what do you mean by that? He was like ya that ratnest hair.. :mad: i thought i was going to take a damn brick and hit him with it...

I had to walk away at that point because hearing somthing like that just made me think about how much black people put themselves down.. Just made me sad and I knew I'd go off if talked to him any further at that point..

You have the patience of a monk, Dannygirl! I would've popped him in his forehead. Inbred racial & cultural hatred runs so deep it's appalling. The only way I can see to stop this is to not spread it to the next generation and speak up when we encounter it.

It's nice in theory, but when one is stunned into silence or wants to knock some sense into the offender, it's difficult. I do my best to at least say, "Don't talk about my people like that around me."

Dannygirl

:lachen: :lachen: i know girl its just sucks when he talking about nappy hair like that and he knows i went natrual.. I'm just like.. oh okay...wow?

glamazon386

I hate when people make ignorant comments like that... Including my mama :mad: If she touches my twa one more time and mades rude comments it's gonna be on! Stop petting my head I am not a damn dog!

diamoness

I hear -ish like that all the time, which is why I never liked afro-textured hair for all my childhood and teenage life. I just didnt know any better. I even hear that stuff now......one of my indian friends with type 2 hair talks to me about how "nappy" her hair is and how if she didnt flat iron it that she'd have a "big, nasty fro". I feel like she thinks my fro's are nasty!!! I also notice she only compliments my hair when i wear stick straight weave/or wig. So sad.

Disclaimer: Not bashing relaxer wearers at all whatsoever!!!!!!

Dannygirl

:ohwell: i know honesty i hated nappy hair to but once i found out whta my hair was like in all its nappiness i LOVED IT ... i had to go in braids cause i knew i'd keep my hands in my hair and id never grow..

i like the shrinkage.. so hot..

keluric

Aww, that's sad coming from a Trini.. they've got every color of the rainbow and every texture in the world with all that mixing. But oh well, you know the beauty of natural hair.

Incredible1ne

I hate when people make ignorant comments. At one point I'd try to educate them but now I'm like forget it. If it's somebody close to me I try to talk to them if not I just let them wallow in their ignorance. My mom is natural and regularly gets her hair pressed because she said she can't go out with her hair nappy like that SMH.

CAPlush

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Yuck, people are so ugly. I hate the n-word, and to hear it used in the hair context is a double wammy.

CaramelMiSS

It's all about the society now a days, straight hair is good bad fro hair is not, light is good dark skinned is not it's like that all over the world believe it or not. It goes all the way back to European colonization

Dannygirl

CaramelMiSS said:
It's all about the society now a days, straight hair is good bad fro hair is not, light is good dark skinned is not it's like that all over the world believe it or not. It goes all the way back to European colonization

:lachen: :lachen: aint that the truth...
sad but true

Ms Lala

It is sad that many of us still feel this way about our hair, but it is so much deeper than hair really. I used to blame alot on the media but people have to start taking responsiblity for themselves. That's just being ignorant. I have 4a/b hair and it looks nothing like a rats nest. I love my naps. In the words of India Arie "I know my Creator ain't make no mistakes on me..." and that includes my hair!

CaramelMiSS

Ms Lala said:
It is sad that many of us still feel this way about our hair, but it is so much deeper than hair really. I used to blame alot on the media but people have to start taking responsiblity for themselves. That's just being ignorant. I have 4a/b hair and it looks nothing like a rats nest. I love my naps. In the words of India Arie "I know my Creator ain't make no mistakes on me..." and that includes my hair!

I feel that!!! But it also has to do with a lot of factors like I said it goes 500 hundred years back in society

Ms Lala

CaramelMiSS said:
I feel that!!! But it also has to do with a lot of factors like I said it goes 500 hundred years back in society

I agree with you. It took me some time to wake up, but I was open to reading books and hearing what others had to say about the issue. Some black folks aren't even open to that and this is what bothers me most. It's hard no to think a certain way about skin tone and hair when the thoughts have been put in your head since birth. Truly there are many factors

blazingthru

You know I understand how others feel I was one of them. I didn't get new because I decided to go natural. I thought it was unappealing and not very attractive at all. I could not understand why anyone would want to go through that stress of dealing with hair that you can't get a comb throught I thought it was terrible to make that decision. so much so that this girl at work-- I would ask her all the time --press out your hair ---oh you would look so pretty with your hair pressed out ---she would smile and say one day. four years later I realize she was never going to do it. It wasn't until I saw the twist and I thought it was so cute. I started seeing more and more styles that were natural and I loved it. But it wasn't until I actually got on here that I fell head over heels in love with natural hair. EKOMBA was the first person that really blew my mind and I said thats it I am doing it. I got and get a lot of negative comments but I am past the point of being offended about it. I know where I came from and where I am going and its really all what you think about what your doing. It took me a year to get to this point. so I just laugh when I hear girl your hair is a hot mess you need to perm that are straighten it.

CaramelMiSS

Trudy said:
You know I understand how others feel I was one of them. I didn't get new because I decided to go natural. I thought it was unappealing and not very attractive at all. I could not understand why anyone would want to go through that stress of dealing with hair that you can't get a comb throught I thought it was terrible to make that decision. so much so that this girl at work-- I would ask her all the time --press out your hair ---oh you would look so pretty with your hair pressed out ---she would smile and say one day. four years later I realize she was never going to do it. It wasn't until I saw the twist and I thought it was so cute. I started seeing more and more styles that were natural and I loved it. But it wasn't until I actually got on here that I fell head over heels in love with natural hair. EKOMBA was the first person that really blew my mind and I said thats it I am doing it. I got and get a lot of negative comments but I am past the point of being offended about it. I know where I came from and where I am going and its really all what you think about what your doing. It took me a year to get to this point. so I just laugh when I hear girl your hair is a hot mess you need to perm that are straighten it.

Any one can get a comb through hair it's just how you go about doing it if you never do it then you won't be able to get a comb through it. For example my white friend has stright brown hair she told me that she never combed her hair NEVER!!! Well me I am thinking she got stright hair it's gonna easy combing it, right??? WRONG, her hair had so many tangles it might as well had been nappy straight hair I could barely get the comb through so I just gave up.

sexyaqr

I feel so ashamed to hear that because I am Trini. We have such a variety in our country for someone from there to say something like that.I have four sisters and we all have different textures(same father mind you). I never had comments about my hair growing up in Trini. I relaxed my hair when I was 19(right before coming to America). So that is just awful to hear.

Ms Lala

CaramelMiSS said:
Any one can get a comb through hair it's just how you go about doing it if you never do it then you won't be able to get a comb through it. For example my white friend has stright brown hair she told me that she never combed her hair NEVER!!! Well me I am thinking she got stright hair it's gonna easy combing it, right??? WRONG, her hair had so many tangles it might as well had been nappy straight hair I could barely get the comb through so I just gave up.

This true. THis is why I don't understand why people say our hair is so hard to manage. It used to take my white roomates alot of time and effort to detangle their straight hair. It got tangled very easy after washing and shed like crazy. Those with curly hair is more similar to like a blk person with 3b/c. I knew whites in college who used relaxers to defrizz or straighten their hair.

MochaSilk

CaramelMiSS said:

I'd love to live in a world where colonialism never existed. This may be the harshest thing I say on LHCF, but I hope whoever "invented" this atrocity is burning in h***. They sullied the mentality of the planet, and caused pain & scarring that may take another 500 years to get rid of.

I don't think I'll live to see the day when NO ONE cares what ANYONE looks like. It's a shame.

CaramelMiSS

TBeBe said:
I'd love to live in a world where colonialism never existed. This may be the harshest thing I say on LHCF, but I hope whoever "invented" this atrocity is burning in h***. They sullied the mentality of the planet, and caused pain & scarring that may take another 500 years to get rid of.

I don't think I'll live to see the day when NO ONE cares what ANYONE looks like. It's a shame.

I wish I could too but sadly I think it will never be that way:(

honeycomb719

TBeBe said:

Adressing the bolded area: I think you can give thanks to Willie Lynch for that. Here's his speech on what caused this madness in the U.S.

Willie Lynch Speech:

"Gentlemen. I greet you here on the bank of the James River in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and twelve. First, I shall thank you, the gentlemen of the Colony of Virginia, for bringing me here. I am here to help you solve some of your problems with slaves. Your invitation reached me on my modest plantation in the West Indies, where I have experimented with some of the newest and still the oldest methods for control of slaves. Ancient Rome's would envy us if my program is implemented. As our boat sailed south on the James River, named for our illustrious King, whose version of the Bible we Cherish, I saw enough to know that your problem is not unique. While Rome used cords of wood as crosses for standing human bodies along its highways in great numbers, you are here using the tree and the rope on occasions. I caught the whiff of a dead slave hanging from a tree, a couple miles back. You are not only losing valuable stock by hangings, you are having uprisings, slaves are running away, your crops are sometimes left in the fields too long for maximum profit, You suffer occasional fires, your animals are killed. Gentlemen, you know what your problems are; I do not need to elaborate. I am not here to enumerate your problems, I am here to introduce you to a method of solving them. In my bag here, I HAVE A FULL PROOF METHOD FOR CONTROLLING YOUR BLACK SLAVES. I guarantee every one of you that if installed correctly IT WILL CONTROL THE SLAVES FOR AT LEAST 300 HUNDREDS YEARS. My method is simple. Any member of your family or your overseer can use it. I HAVE OUTLINED A NUMBER OF DIFFERENCES AMONG THE SLAVES; AND I TAKE THESE DIFFERENCES AND MAKE THEM BIGGER. I USE FEAR, DISTRUST AND ENVY FOR CONTROL PURPOSES. These methods have worked on my modest plantation in the West Indies and it will work throughout the South. Take this simple little list of differences and think about them. On top of my list is "AGE" but it's there only because it starts with an "A." The second is "COLOR" or shade, there is INTELLIGENCE, SIZE, SEX, SIZES OF PLANTATIONS, STATUS on plantations, ATTITUDE of owners, whether the slaves live in the valley, on a hill, East, West, North, South, have fine hair, course hair, or is tall or short. Now that you have a list of differences, I shall give you a outline of action, but before that, I shall assure you that DISTRUST IS STRONGER THAN TRUST AND ENVY STRONGER THAN ADULATION, RESPECT OR ADMIRATION. The Black slaves after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self refueling and self generating for HUNDREDS of years, maybe THOUSANDS. Don't forget you must pitch the OLD black Male vs. the YOUNG black Male, and the YOUNG black Male against the OLD black male. You must use the DARK skin slaves vs. the LIGHT skin slaves, and the LIGHT skin slaves vs. the DARK skin slaves. You must use the FEMALE vs. the MALE. And the MALE vs. the FEMALE. You must also have you white servants and over- seers distrust all Blacks. But it is NECESSARY THAT YOUR SLAVES TRUST AND DEPEND ON US. THEY MUST LOVE, RESPECT AND TRUST ONLY US. Gentlemen, these kits are your keys to control. Use them. Have your wives and children use them, never miss an opportunity. IF USED INTENSELY FOR ONE YEAR, THE SLAVES THEMSELVES WILL REMAIN PERPETUALLY DISTRUSTFUL. Thank you gentlemen."

Last edited:

MochaSilk

honeycomb719 said:
....I am here to introduce you to a method of solving them. In my bag here, I HAVE A FULL PROOF METHOD FOR CONTROLLING YOUR BLACK SLAVES. I guarantee every one of you that if installed correctly IT WILL CONTROL THE SLAVES FOR AT LEAST 300 HUNDREDS YEARS. My method is simple. Any member of your family or your overseer can use it. I HAVE OUTLINED A NUMBER OF DIFFERENCES AMONG THE SLAVES; AND I TAKE THESE DIFFERENCES AND MAKE THEM BIGGER. I USE FEAR, DISTRUST AND ENVY FOR CONTROL PURPOSES.

...The Black slaves after receiving this indoctrination shall carry on and will become self refueling and self generating for HUNDREDS of years, maybe THOUSANDS. Don't forget you must pitch the OLD black Male vs. the YOUNG black Male, and the YOUNG black Male against the OLD black male. You must use the DARK skin slaves vs. the LIGHT skin slaves, and the LIGHT skin slaves vs. the DARK skin slaves. You must use the FEMALE vs. the MALE. And the MALE vs. the FEMALE. "

OMG, WOW. Honeycomb, thank you for posting this. I've never heard of Willie Lynch nor this despicable practice. It's a crying shame.

I'm tempted to make copies of this to give to brothas & sistas who want to make someone feel less-than because of their color OR age. You know what, I am. Knowing the origins of this makes me want to take further action. If I end up giving these to 20 people and it makes one person change from making "Nappy N**** Hair" comments and the like, it'll be worth it.

envybeauty

Let's face it.....most black people embrace only certain types of beauty...including most women on here. Most of the ladies that get such praise for their hair are the ones with long, RELAXED hair. If not relaxed, then texlaxed, or even ones who have some type of curl pattern to their own unprocessed hair in its most natural state. It does not take calling AA hair nappy n****hair for it to be about hating the natural state of kinky, coiled hair.

My hair is relaxed and I love the feel/ease of straight(er) hair. Am I hating my own nappy hair? Many a day...Yes! Those are the days when I can't get a comb anywhere near my roots/edges...hence I resort to a perm even when I have to do it myself. I also hate the fact that I need to lose more than a few pounds but it is what it is. On LHCF, I am not the only one.

That said, I do sometimes look around when traveling and wonder what the world would look like if ALL black women walked around with their hair natural. It would not be what we see today or most of what we OHHH and AHHHH about on LHCF.