Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2016

snoop

@snoop, How is your regimen coming?

I'm all over the place right now. I think that this year I got to cocky with my progress and stopped trying so hard + started wearing my hair loose. The result = my first setback. I've not retained anything this year so that's 2 inches gone. I'm going to have to find time within the upcoming week to put my hair back into mini twists. Enjoying my growth doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.
:nono:

snoop

I am all over the place with my regimen. Last week I wrote some things out so I can get back on track. I have 3 regimens. One regimen is for the days I color. The 2nd regimen covers my protein day. The 3rd regimen is just a regular wash. I don't know them by heart yet so I'm still all over the place. I need to print out copies so I can review the steps before I get started on wash day.

You know you're hard core when your hair needs its own manual. ...:lachen:

CodeRed

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to continue to do steam deep conditioning or if I'm just going to use the deep conditioners in the shower (most of the ones I have/want say leave on 5 - 10 minutes). I think because I'm so used to sitting under a dryer/steamer for deep conditioning my psyche won't allow me to do anything else for a short amount of time :lol:

Decided on keeping up the steaming. I don't think my hair needs it more than every other week... I've discovered using better rinse out conditioners causes me not to need to steam often. I really do think deep treatments work better with steam for my hair.

faithVA

I did a long wash day today because I didn't finish Friday after I dusted my ends.

I cowashed and followed with Olaplex for 30 minutes. I rinsed, shampooed with Crème of Nature and did a protein treatment with Komaza for about 45 minutes. Conditioned with Keraveda Organix Carmeltini for 30 minutes. Followed that with the Keraveda Mudwash for about 5 to 10 minutes. I was over my hair at this time. I did a Kimmaytube type leave-in without the oils. I mixed Crème of Nature leave-in, AVJ and AIA So Much Moisture. This is my first time trying it. I will have to see if it works. I flat twisted my hair with Alikay Naturals Crème brulee. Used Keraveda Pomade on my ends and oiled my scalp with one of my oil blends.

I was going to color mid week but I think I will wait until the weekend. I have had enough hair for a week. :yep:

NaturalShe94

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural
Current Length: Grazing WL
Current Products: I have a million lol, but I use these for my hair care Oliology Coconut Oil Shampoo/Conditioner, Olive Miracle Moisturizing Lotion, SM Frizz Defense Hair Masque AND SM JBCO Strengthen Grow and Restore Hair Masque, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil, Aphogee's 2-step Protein Treatment & Strengthening Kit. The rest of my products are just natural styling products.
Current Techniques: I've started wearing protective styles where my ends are tucked now, so until I start wearing my hair out again, I water wash every 3 days, use my Olive Miracle moisturizer, Coconut Oil to seal, braid it at the back then BUN IT! I co-wash once a week and shampoo wash and deep condition every two weeks. Every 6 weeks, protein treatment...
What in your regimen are trying to nail: Staying CONSISTENT, especially with the protein treatments. I tend to get lazy.
What's your starting strategy: I want to start adding hot oil treatments into my regimen, I'm thinking of adding that in every two weeks before I shampoo.
Anything else you want to share:
My biggest thing is length retention. I am trying to keep my hair moisture and protein balanced. I tend to grow hip length and stay stuck there, so I've raised the bar to TBL. I believe I can achieve that if I keep the balance and take care of my ends.

faithVA

I bought the entire TGIN line excluding the oil. So far I like the leave-in, moisturizer and twist crème. I haven't tried the shampoo and conditioner yet. I picked up the shampoo today and will give them a try on my next wash day. If the shampoo works for me, I will finally have a line to use for my regimen. I do still have some products to use up. I will give a few things away if this line works. I hate to have a lot of products I'm not using.

I'm also getting closer with my coloring regimen. I'm mixing my color with conditioner and that seems to be working pretty well.

faithVA

What is TGIN? Are you still doing the MHM?
TGIN is the brand. I think it's the acronym for Thank God I'm Natural.

No I'm not doing MHM. I switched over to temporary color so I had to let go of the clay. It was pulling all the color from my hair. I do a clay wash every now and then.

snoop

TGIN is the brand. I think it's the acronym for Thank God I'm Natural.

No I'm not doing MHM. I switched over to temporary color so I had to let go of the clay. It was pulling all the color from my hair. I do a clay wash every now and then.

Ha. I thought TGIN might have been an acronym. Off to check Google.

I didn't realize that the clay was so strong. We're you leaving it in for a while?

faithVA

Ha. I thought TGIN might have been an acronym. Off to check Google.

I didn't realize that the clay was so strong. We're you leaving it in for a while?
No put the clay in, to get detangle and rinse. My hair doesn't hold color very well anyway. It only last 3 weeks without the clay. The clay just shortens the time even further.

faithVA

When I started the challenge I was using Teraveda Organix products. They didn't really work out for me. I have used up most of them but what I have left I will give away. Last week I purchased the full TGIN line. So far I like this line. They have a recommended regimen which I have started following. Here is my regimen for the next month. I am trying this out to see if it works for me.

Water rinse
Condition and detangle
Shampoo
Use mask with heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour
Apply leave-in while soaking wet
Separate hair into 3 sections and stretch with barrettes
Let air dry for 30 minutes to 1 hour
Apply moisturizer
Apply pomade
Stretch again with barrettes and apply scarf for 30 minutes
Twist with a gel

I haven't felt like coloring but I have shorted my color regimen
1. Shampoo
2. Mix semi-permanent color and conditioner and let it sit for 45 minutes

My protein treatment regimen
1. Water rinse
2. Apply Olaplex #3
3. Shampoo
4. Apply Protein and sit under dryer for 45 minutes
5. Apply Carmeltini and if I can let it sit overnight
6. Finish with weekly regiment (leavein, moisturizer, etc)

I've just started using the TGIN. I'm hoping it helps me with retention.

snoop

I find it interesting that you were advised to condition before shampooing. I was on another hair board and there was a thread about conditioning, then shampooing, and conditioning. I thought that this was an interesting processes, but haven't tried it yet.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning:
Natural

Current Length
:
Chin length in some parts; shoulder length and below in longer parts

Current Products
:
I am NEWLY trialing the Terra Veda Organix products . . . and so far they are performing just alright. Not a repurchase, I don't think. I had high hopes for this line because the logic behind it is a FASTER max hydration method. I feel like I'll end up following their strategy, but with other products. LOL!

Before trialing this line, I've had the most success with the following products:

SPECIAL OCCASION:
  • To clarify/chelate when needed: Looking for a replacement of my Shea Moisture Clear Start (professional line)
  • Extra protein when needed: Aubrey Organics GPB shampoo and conditioner
LONG WASH DAY:
  • Overnight prepoo: 1:1:1 mix of light EVOO, raw and unrefined coconut oil, and castor oil
  • Hair detoxifier (and condition as a side bonus): Naturalicious clay wash
  • Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
  • Deep conditioner: Shea Moisture's High Porosity Masque
  • Leave-in moisturizer/conditioner: was KCKT . . . but lately has been a new purchase: Oyin Hair Dew
  • Cuticle closer: 1:1 mix of cold distilled water and aloe Vera juice
  • Styler: was KCCC . . . my new stylist got STUNNING results (which I have yet to replicate!!!) with Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curl Stimulator . . . I'm getting my best at-home results with Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel

Current Techniques
:
  • Prepoo-ing
  • Finger detangling damp hair with SM's Hipo Masque on ends, using the HARP METHOD
  • Follow-up detangling in 11 hair sections, using the wider-tooth side of this comb

• On SHORT WASH DAYS: Water only washing (unless scalp is itchy, then I use a non-sudsing cleanser on my scalp)
  • On LONG WASH DAYS: Detoxifying/washing/conditioning at once with Naturalicious's clay wash
  • Cuticle closing after applying leave-in conditioner
What in your regimen are trying to nail:
  1. Fewer knots and tangling . . . shorter detangling sessions
  2. Multi-day hydration and moisturization
  3. Elongation of wash-and-go hair style
  4. Juicier wash-and-go's (not super juicy, but my hair often looks dry and not shiny)
What's your starting strategy:
I'm basically trying to accomplish Max Hydration via Terra Veda's strategy, as discussed in detail here: https://terravedaorganix.com/pages/tvo-method-for-max-hydration-5

Anything else you want to share:
I keep reading that I need to seal. But my hair is so fine that whenever I use oils or butters to try and seal, it seems to jack everything up, LOL!

I am considering texlaxing or relaxing since I am losing so much hair to snipping out knots and tangles. I'm just defeating the purpose if I can't grow my hair because I'm constantly snipping it.

I've made a list of products, techniques, treatments, and stylists to try before I go the permanent chemical route. Soon I will try the Bekura Tapioca Buttercreme, Huetiful nanosmoothing, a VERY expensive detanlging double-teethed comb, and henna treatments. We'll see!

faithVA

I find it interesting that you were advised to condition before shampooing. I was on another hair board and there was a thread about conditioning, then shampooing, and conditioning. I thought that this was an interesting processes, but haven't tried it yet.
It's just a regular prepoo. Nothing special. Lots of ladies on the board prepoo, some with conditioner, others with oil.

I was going to skip it but I need to detangle before I let shampoo touch my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@faithVA,

Have you found the Terra Veda Organix products underwhelming?

I'm only on week two with them, but they don't seem to be doing much for me. :(

What did you purchase?

Do you feel anything from this line is a keeper?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

snoop

It's just a regular prepoo. Nothing special. Lots of ladies on the board prepoo, some with conditioner, others with oil.

I was going to skip it but I need to detangle before I let shampoo touch my hair.

Well, when you put it that way... I'd never read about anyone pre-pooing with conditioner. It makes sense as a step, especially if you are using a harsher shampoo.

snoop

@YvetteWithJoy Do you wear your hair loose? If so, often? I find that that is a sure-fire way for me to end up with knotted and tangled hair. Especially, if I do it for more than one day at a time.

faithVA

@faithVA,

Have you found the Terra Veda Organix products underwhelming?

I'm only on week two with them, but they don't seem to be doing much for me. :(

What did you purchase?

Do you feel anything from this line is a keeper?

Thanks in advance!

Yes. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed as well as @tashboog. We both bought the line at the same time.

I purchased the entire low porosity line. She mistakenly sent me the leave-in and styler for the high porosity line initially so I had those as well. Be overly eager I also purchased the Quinoa conditioner and she sent me a sample of the refresher. Oh and I also bought the twist crème. So out of 10 products I really like the Carmeltini which I would repurchase. And I kinda like the mud. Other than that it didn't do much for me and I used the products from January until June.

I was OK with not getting any more curl definition but I'm not sure what my hair was doing with it. I think it just sort of confused my hair.

My hair looks fabulous after the carmeltini but if I use any of the products after that it just looks a mess. My hair was soft though.

I have a few products left and I will give them away at some point. Moving on.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Do you wear your hair loose? If so, often? I find that that is a sure-fire way for me to end up with knotted and tangled hair. Especially, if I do it for more than one day at a time.

Yes . . . I only wear wash and go's. I tried wearing two strand twists, but unless I retwist at night, they turn into wash and go -looking styles in 2-3 days. Not worth all the mechanical manipulation, IMO. I wore crochet braid installs for a long time. Then I realized that I wasn't learning how to do my natural hair because it was always hidden away.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Yes. Unfortunately I was underwhelmed as well as @tashboog. We both bought the line at the same time.

I purchased the entire low porosity line. She mistakenly sent me the leave-in and styler for the high porosity line initially so I had those as well. Be overly eager I also purchased the Quinoa conditioner and she sent me a sample of the refresher. Oh and I also bought the twist crème. So out of 10 products I really like the Carmeltini which I would repurchase. And I kinda like the mud. Other than that it didn't do much for me and I used the products from January until June.

I was OK with not getting any more curl definition but I'm not sure what my hair was doing with it. I think it just sort of confused my hair.

My hair looks fabulous after the carmeltini but if I use any of the products after that it just looks a mess. My hair was soft though.

I have a few products left and I will give them away at some point. Moving on.

I bought the hipo stuff and didn't get great results. So then I bought the lowpo line (just in case a milk or custard would work better for me for some reason), and the results were just the same!

The mud does not work as effectively for me as does the Naturalicious clay wash, and that's a little disappointing. I was hoping to at LEAST benefit soundly from the mud!

I also bought the Quinoa conditioner (ingredients sounded so great!), but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. Because I lose a lot of moisture, I bought the peach butter creme. SADLY, I had bought the Banana Detangler, too!

The cowash: I can't tell what it's doing for my head.

Oy, oy, oy!

I told myself and my hubby I was going on a no-buy after investing in Terra Veda Organix. Welp, THAT'S not going to work! I've already purchased Oyin Hair Dew for the first time, and I just placed an order with Bekura.

Something's gotta give, here! I'm TRYING to hold on! :laugh:

faithVA

Yes . . . I only wear wash and go's. I tried wearing two strand twists, but unless I retwist at night, they turn into wash and go -looking styles in 2-3 days. Not worth all the mechanical manipulation, IMO. I wore crochet braid installs for a long time. Then I realized that I wasn't learning how to do my natural hair because it was always hidden away.
How often are you redoing your wash and go?

faithVA

I bought the hipo stuff and didn't get great results. So then I bought the lowpo line (just in case a milk or custard would work better for me for some reason), and the results were just the same!

The mud does not work as effectively for me as does the Naturalicious clay wash, and that's a little disappointing. I was hoping to at LEAST benefit soundly from the mud!

I also bought the Quinoa conditioner (ingredients sounded so great!), but I haven't had the chance to use it yet. Because I lose a lot of moisture, I bought the peach butter creme. SADLY, I had bought the Banana Detangler, too!

The cowash: I can't tell what it's doing for my head.

Oy, oy, oy!

I told myself and my hubby I was going on a no-buy after investing in Terra Veda Organix. Welp, THAT'S not going to work! I've already purchased Oyin Hair Dew for the first time, and I just placed an order with Bekura.

Something's gotta give, here! I'm TRYING to hold on! :laugh:

Yeah that cowash is confusing isn't it :lol:

Your hair sounds like mine. If I ever figure my hair out I will let you know.

tashboog is high po. She has found she needs to do quite a few layers to hold in the moisture. I think she was doing Liquid - oil - gel - butter/cream or something like that.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
How often are you redoing your wash and go?

Here's my biweekly schedule:

1. Sunday: Short wash day
2. Monday: Refresh hair
3. Tuesday: Refresh hair
4. Wednesday: Refresh hair
5. 1st Thursday: Short wash day
6. Friday: Refresh hair
7. Saturday: Refresh hair

5. 2nd Thursday: Long wash day (Carmel-tina, Mud wash, etc.)

faithVA

Here's my biweekly schedule:

5. 1st Thursday: Short wash day

5. 2nd Thursday: Long wash day (Carmel-tina, Mud wash, etc.)

I don't see anything right off hand that is an issue. Definitely don't give up. I do a search and destroy every time I do my hair and it is aggravating. But even with the snipping my hair is still growing and I'm still retaining.

Have you tried a regular keratin protein. Since you are high porosity you might need a stronger protein more often.

Have you tried doing your short wash days every 3 days instead of 4?

Some ladies have been oohing and aaahing over the wetline gel. It's less than $5. It may be worth looking into. It may give you the shine you are looking for.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I don't see anything right off hand that is an issue. Definitely don't give up. I do a search and destroy every time I do my hair and it is aggravating. But even with the snipping my hair is still growing and I'm still retaining.

Have you tried a regular keratin protein. Since you are high porosity you might need a stronger protein more often.

Have you tried doing your short wash days every 3 days instead of 4?

Some ladies have been oohing and aaahing over the wetline gel. It's less than $5. It may be worth looking into. It may give you the shine you are looking for.

Thanks, Faith!

I tried the Wetline Gel and commented at the thread. It performed pretty well for me. So far, for me nothing exceeds Oyin Hair Dew + Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel.

I have some Nutress protein packets from Sally's that I have yet to use. Next protein treatment time, I am excited to try them. I am very curious about the Komaza protein treatment . . . and I've been scurred to try the Aphogee 2-step. :laugh: Seems SO serious, but maybe it's what I need.

I have been hoping that the Shea Moisture Hipo Masque and the occasional Aubrey Organics GPB is protein enough. Maybe not?!??

EDIT:

P.S. I can move my wash day from Thursday to Wednesday. It will be inconvenient, but I can swing it.

faithVA

Thanks, Faith!

I tried the Wetline Gel and commented at the thread. It performed pretty well for me. So far, for me nothing exceeds Oyin Hair Dew + Shea Moisture's High Porosity gel.

I have some Nutress protein packets from Sally's that I have yet to use. Next protein treatment time, I am excited to try them. I am very curious about the Komaza protein treatment . . . and I've been scurred to try the Aphogee 2-step. :laugh: Seems SO serious, but maybe it's what I need.

I have been hoping that the Shea Moisture Hipo Masque and the occasional Aubrey Organics GPB is protein enough. Maybe not?!??

EDIT:

P.S. I can move my wash day from Thursday to Wednesday. It will be inconvenient, but I can swing it.

Ok I missed your post about the Wetline but if you have a good combination with the Oyin and the SM gel then stick with it.

I love the Komaza protein treatment but I'm low porosity. It's a staple for me. Haven't found anything better. No need to be afraid of the Aphogee 2 step. I've used it several times. I hate how sticky it is (yuck). For my hair I still love the Komaza better.

Just try out doing your hair every 3 days instead of 4 to see if maybe you are losing too much moisture in between wetting your hair. Perhaps your tangles and splits are just caused by your hair drying out. Or it could be that letting your hair go past 3 days may be causing too much shed hair to get tangled in causing knots.

It's just trial and error at this point to see if we can narrow down the culprit. It sounds like you have quite a few things figured out. You just have a few more before you nail it. :yep:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ok I missed your post about the Wetline but if you have a good combination with the Oyin and the SM gel then stick with it.

I love the Komaza protein treatment but I'm low porosity. It's a staple for me. Haven't found anything better. No need to be afraid of the Aphogee 2 step. I've used it several times. I hate how sticky it is (yuck). For my hair I still love the Komaza better.

Just try out doing your hair every 3 days instead of 4 to see if maybe you are losing too much moisture in between wetting your hair. Perhaps your tangles and splits are just caused by your hair drying out. Or it could be that letting your hair go past 3 days may be causing too much shed hair to get tangled in causing knots.

It's just trial and error at this point to see if we can narrow down the culprit. It sounds like you have quite a few things figured out. You just have a few more before you nail it. :yep:

Faith, THANK YOU! I so needed this encouraging post. I've gotten sad (time, money, and hair lost due to snipping knots) and am feeling VERY close to texlaxing or relaxing.

I agree: That COULD be the reason for so much tangling: My hair is simply getting dried out in 4 days.

Thank you SO much for the encouragement: You are right: I do have a lot figured out. I hadn't looked at it that way. :)

I keep reading that sealing is key, but butters seem to jack my hair up! :laugh:

I'm wondering if this comb (which some folks rave about) would help:

faithVA

Faith, THANK YOU! I so needed this encouraging post. I've gotten sad (time, money, and hair lost due to snipping knots) and am feeling VERY close to texlaxing or relaxing.

I agree: That COULD be the reason for so much tangling: My hair is simply getting dried out in 4 days.

Thank you SO much for the encouragement: You are right: I do have a lot figured out. I hadn't looked at it that way. :)

I keep reading that sealing is key, but butters seem to jack my hair up! :laugh:

I'm wondering if this comb (which some folks rave about) would help:
Well give the increased washes a try first before you go for the comb. Wetting your hair more often and getting out the shed hairs may be all you need. Eliminate one thing at a time. I want that comb too but I already have 10 combs :lol: And I found out I have to use a different comb depending on what is going on with my head. But when things are right, I don't need a comb at all.

With the original MHM, it was recommended to wash every 3 days until hydration was built up. Then you could slowly increase the times between washes.

When you do the water only rinse on your short wash days, what do you put on your hair prior to the gel?

Don't worry about sealing right now. I've never noticed sealing to do anything. The gel is supposed to be your sealant when you do a wng. Some people put a little oil on later when their hair is dry. You can figure that out a little later.

When I do seal, I stay away from butters because they make my hair frizzy. Pomades seem to work the best. Oils don't really do anything.

snoop

I will second the Komaza protein treatment. My hair is normal/high. I haven't tried Aphogee, but I like this stuff.

@faithVA what pomades do you like? I've never tried any. I agree that I need to either use a light oil or nothing to seal. I stopped using butters because they were too heavy for my hair.

@YvetteWithJoy do you snip out the whole knot/tangle or do you try to untangle as many strands as possible first? Is it possible to wear another style like a bun so that your ends are not always out?