Nail Your Regimen Challenge 2020

faithVA

Thanks @faithVA!

It is important for us to pay attention to what is not working - just "ok" products or techniques may lead to a setback in the long term.

It took me a LONG time to realize that cowashing did nothing for my hair, and oil rinsing just had my shower floor slippery. I'm trying to record everything I do to my hair in a journal this year.

for example, I had the best wash day yesterday and need to remember exactly what I did and products used.

I agree. Pay attention and tracking is important.

I have always tracked. I have figured out some things but I've never gotten anything to work from beginning to end. I liked cowashing and oil rinsing but once I get to the styling piece nothing has seemed to come together. But things are better than they were a few years ago, so progress is being made.

faithVA

Since I used shampooo on Wednesday, I cleansed with Redken cleansing conditioner. I did a 30 mile bike ride so need a light cleanser. I conditioned with the Kirkland moisture conditioner. I added water and diluted conditioner to each section and then detangled. It was a little easier detangling today.

I'm using up product so I used the Kinky Curly Knot Today and soaking wet hair. I added a little water and worked it into each section. I let it soak in for 10 minutes. I used 2 to 3 pumps of Carols Daughter Foam on each side and worked that end. I finger detangled and cut out some knots. I put in 4 flat twist on each side.

I'm like styling my hair with the leave-in and foam. I will have to see what it looks like though when it dries.

snoop

I had my hair in mini twists for a month. I've been toying with the idea of stretching out wash days to see if my retention improves. My hair seems to have done really well this month. I've added (my version of) Curly Proverbz growth oil to my lineup and my shedding seems to have subsided.

As much as I balk at the idea of washing monthly, I might switch to that in order to get over my growth plateau.

So after my take down, I lost so little hair broken or shed that I couldn't believe it! Never ever has it gone this smoothly before.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to braid my hair right away and my hair tried out before I had a chance to set it right. Even though I moisturized it heavily first, it doesn't manipulate the same as when it's freshly washed, even less so because I clarified my hair. I had some breakage but even so, overall I lost just a bit more hair than when I detangled pre-wash. Some of the hair lost was the removal of knots.

Yesterday, I re-did my hair because I thought that I didn't do a good job the night before on account of my hair feeling stiff from being considered and not being styled when damp from the shower. Again, a bit of breakage, but it turns out I'd detangled my hair well the first time. All in all, what I've learned is that in the past, the amount of shed and broken hair that I've considered as normal for me isn't necessarily normal for me. I've been using growth aids (MSM internally and topically) for the past month as well as fenugreek and more recently coffee oil in the topical oil mix and I think that has contributed to the reduced shedding.

In terms of the breakage, I've also learned that the amount of breakage that I've experienced over the past 8 years was uncalled for. I could have been doing WAY better. As much as I've been active on here and thought that I had my technique down, I was being sloppy. I could have probably been at hip length by now for that reason alone. This takedown I not only used oil and conditioner, but I added hydrated fenugreek paste, too. That was a game changer.

CurliDiva

My January updates to my orginal post: (in purple)

Natural

Current Length:
I got frustrated and chopped off my hair in October. :cry:now 3-4 inch fro but my ends are healthy and full. :afro:

It is growing and retaining length but I'm worried about my back (nape) section. This hair is a different texture and much more fragile than the rest.

Current Products:
I'm doing a NO-BUY for 2020, so I'm using up everything I have.

Enough products to last for a while, but will definitely need more Shea butter soon.

Current Techniques:
I'm hoping technique will be more important than products. I plan to massage my scalp daily. Shampoo (not conditioner wash) pushing out to every two weeks but still plan to deep conditioning with heat weekly.

Keep my hair in plaits. Twists and cornrows are hard at this length. I can now cornrow ideally with added braid hair to extend past my ends. My twists always unravel, so sticking with braids.
I cornrowed with a tiny amount of braid hair added just to extend past my ends to keep them smooth and protected.

Spritz with water, add creamy leave in and then seal with Shea butter and/or oil.

I never found a leave-in that worked great until now.

Most just made my wet or greasy temporarily and my hair dried hard.

SM Curl Enchancing Smoothie (which was sitting unused in my stash for year) is a game changer. This rubbed on my braids left my hair soft, non greasy and conditioned for a week!!!!!

Protein treatment monthly.

PS- wigs

What in your regimen are trying to nail:

Care and retain length in bottom section of my head (the nape).

Deep conditioning for lasting moisture and protein balance.

What's your starting strategy:
Im recording everything I do to my hair in a journal. It easy to forget what worked otherwise.

Anything else you want to share:
I added few drops of peppermint oil to my oil blend and loved the mild tingle.

Search YouTube to create a nape area strategy.

Last edited:

faithVA

My January updates to my orginal post: (in purple)

Natural

Current Length:
I got frustrated and chopped off my hair in October. :cry:now 3-4 inch fro but my ends are healthy and full. :afro:

It is growing and retaining length but I'm worried about my back (nape) section. This hair is a different texture and much more fragile than the rest.

Current Products:
I'm doing a NO-BUY for 2020, so I'm using up everything I have.

Enough products to last for a while, but will definitely need more Shea butter soon.

Current Techniques:
I'm hoping technique will be more important than products. I plan to massage my scalp daily. Shampoo (not conditioner wash) pushing out to every two weeks but still plan to deep conditioning with heat weekly.

Keep my hair in plaits. Twists and cornrows are hard at this length.

I cornrowed with a tiny amount of braid hair added just to extend past my ends to keep them smooth and protected.

Spritz with water, add creamy leave in and then seal with Shea butter and/or oil.

I never found a leave-in that worked great until now.

Most just made my wet or greasy temporarily and my hair dried hard.

SM Curl Enchancing Smoothie (which was sitting unused in my stash for year) is a game changer. This rubbed on my braids left my hair soft, non greasy and conditioned for a week!!!!!

Protein treatment monthly.

PS- wigs

What in your regimen are trying to nail:

Care and retain length in bottom section of my head (the nape).

Deep conditioning for lasting moisture and protein balance.

What's your starting strategy:
Im recording everything I do to my hair in a journal. It easy to forget what worked otherwise.

I added few drops of peppermint oil to my oil blend and loved the mild tingle.

Search YouTube to create a nape area strategy.
Hey @CurliDiva , Sounds like you have a solid plan. Welcome!

faithVA

Even though I'm wearing my hair in flat twist, I can tell by day 3 my hair needs water. I can also tell that my hair doesn't really like the cleansing conditioner back to back. I plan on shampooing Sunday so didn't want to shampoo again today.

Sunday I will use a moisturizing shampoo and see how that works. I am alternating the moisturizing shampoo and the TGIN shampoo.

I'm debating on doing a wng the 2nd weekend in February or waiting until my hair holds water for 4 days vs. the 3. I will see how I feel. I may not want to be bothered with my hair :lol:

For now I'm still cleansing, conditioning, applying a leave-in then using a foam. Then I twist it up.

Oh, and I bought the Tangle Buster. It did work better than my WetBrush.

I'm riding my bike on Sunday so I will cleanse, condition and style (CCS) then.

faithVA

Not sure why I haven't updated. I don't remember if I did what I said or not.

I have consistently Cleansed, conditioned and styled every 3 days. I have found that I can cowash once, then I can do a cleansing conditioner, then I must use a shampoo. No back to back cowashing or cleansing conditioners. This is good to know.

I've given up the idea of doing a wng in February. I will just wait until I clarify in April. I should have made some progress by then.

I'm waiting for my leave-in to come in. So I have just used The Doux foam for styling and it has worked wonderfully. I really like using foam. And the Tangle Buster seems to be working a bit better.

My ends are still mad at me but I am hoping with this regimen they calm down in the next few weeks.

So far this regimen is working well for me. It has simplified my products and has narrow downed my steps.

I'm still using up product but just plan to stick with this and see where I end up in April.

CurliDiva

I really want to extend the timeframe between washes but don't want to use it as an excuse to neglect my hair. I know myself ;/

faithVA

Doing CCS every day is a lot. But I'm glad I had a chance to get more water in my hair. Now I'm back to my every 3 day schedule. On long weekends I may try every other day. We shall see.

Tonight I used TGIN and really worked it into the sections to detox. I thought about following it with the moisturizing shampoo but I really didn't need it. My hair seemed to be happy. Usually it tangles with the TGIN.

I conditioned with the Kirklands. I thought I had a lot of it left but I may only have a month of that left. I think I will try the Curl Junkie next wash to see which one I like better.

I applied TGIN leave-in on soaking wet hair and added some water. Then I used Carol's Daughter foam. I thought I was going to use it all up today :sad: It's good to know you can get a lot of applications out of the foam. I'm ready for it to go away already though :lol:

I'm back in flat twist. I think my back is hydrated but my sides which are mostly gray aren't having it.

faithVA

Yesterday, I did CCS with Elucence Moisturizing Shampoo, Kirkland Moisturizing Conditioner and put in a banana clip bun using The Doux. It was pretty easy to put my hair in a high bun. It dried in about 4 hours which was great.

This new regimen is so much easier and it makes my hair more manageable. My hair dried fairly straight and I can still easily get my fingers through my roots.

Since I am cleansing every 3 days and using fairly clean products I didn't have to shampoo before coloring my hair. And since my hair was fairly straight I was able to apply the color to my roots with my hair in a straight state versus in its curly straight. I was able to part my hair easily and apply the color to my roots. I didn't have to worry about my ends tangling.

I used the shampoo that came with the color. I didn't use the conditioner because it contained silicones. I used the Kirkland conditioner and detangled with the Tangle Buster. It is getting easier each time. While in the shower with soaking wet hair I applied The Doux. I used the Tangle Buster to comb my hair down and work the product in.

I didn't feel like putting in flat twist so I just put in twist all over.

My hair is getting much easier to do. I love that the regimen is simple and there are so few products. My hair dries quickly and seems to be holding up longer and longer. It is easier to detangle each week. I'm seeing more waves and more definition.

I plan to check my progress every 30 days so my next check will be March 7th and that will be 60 days. Definitely looking forward to it.

I know I got 1/2 inch of growth in the past 4 to 6 weeks. However, I don't know if I am retaining anything.

faithVA

OK. So a few things have happened since the end of February. I'm started working from home on March 16th, so I started working on my wash and goes on the 14th. I noticed some breakage maybe a week or two before but I wasn't really sure if I was having breakage and if so why.

Well, after doing wash and goes daily starting the 14th by the 17, I started to notice I was shedding a lot of hair. And I was shedding a lot of hair daily. It was super crazy. By Friday, the 20th, half of my hair had just broken off. :ohwell:

I'm figuring, the hair was damaged after getting my hair straightened in 2018. And I haven't done protein since December. And then doing more moisture just called the strands to fall apart and just snap off. It was crazy.

I'm over it now. But I definitely need a cut and some kind of shape.

Since I now have way less hair and I'm working from home I'm definitely working on my wash and go regimen. I had a virtual salon visit last Saturday and she recommend some products and walked me through applying products. It was a good visit and it was helpful to have someone walk me through product application.

Since Saturday I have been doing wash and goes daily to help hydrate my hair. My hair has looked all types of crazy but it has been improving every day.

So my regimen while working from home will be doing a wash and go daily.
Cleanse
After 3 days I will use a cleansing conditioner
After 6 days I will use Innersense Hydrating HairBath
After 9 days I will decide whether to use either the cleansing conditioner or the HairBath
On day 12 I will use the AG Balance Shampoo
In between those days I will water rinse or conditioner wash
Then will start the cycle all over

Condition
Use up the Kirklands Moisturizing Conditioner and the Curl Junkie Daily Conditioner
Will then rotate in the AG Boost

Style
Applying Uncle Funky's Daughter in the shower
Still deciding if I am going to use a foam or another gel after this.

That's it. A much simpler regimen. For now it is daily. I am hoping to be able to extend my wash and go from 1 day to 2 day to eventually 3 day.

snoop

I've started experimenting with honey. I really like the softness that it adds. I tried it straight, as a wash, but I think it would be better for me to add it to my conditioner.

faithVA

I've started experimenting with honey. I really like the softness that it adds. I tried it straight, as a wash, but I think it would be better for me to add it to my conditioner.
I think it would be better in the conditioner.

snoop

I think it would be better in the conditioner.

Same, but every so often I do water only washes or honey washes (with diluted honey). Having tried straight honey, I prefer it over diluted, but as a regular wash day ingredient it will be much better in my conditioner.

snoop

I was watching Green Beauty's latest video on how she's restoring her thinning edges and it made me wonder if I should lay off of mini twists for a while. She didn't say anything specific, but I've watched her and some others wear either chunky twists or not so mini mini twists.

In either January or February when I was alternating between large braids then twists, my hair remained stretched and tangle free. I think that it's because I'm starting to get the hang of using shea butter to detangle my hair, which in turn helps me to stretch my hair as I install braids or twists. I want to keep this up in order to give my scalp a rest, but I need to make sure that I keep the roots somewhat loose.

snoop

Last weekend, I transitioned from mini twists to medium three strand twists. I think that I've finally found a grid pattern that will work for me.

When I installed the three strand twists, I left the roots loose and then used the same method as Senegalese/rope twists to twist the length. It keeps my hair stretched quite well and I have access to my roots. I think that I'll keep wearing these and alternating between these twists and braids for the next little while.

faithVA

Right now I'm rinsing daily and gelling with UFD. Midweek I cleanse with Redken Cleansing. Will keep that for now.

I plan to shampoo with Innersense tomorrow. I'm thinking to use a cleansing conditioner mid-week and a shampoo on the weekend. I'm still playing around with that.

snoop

I'm back to two strand twists after wearing "twaids" for two weeks (braided roots and three strand twisted length).

I believe that ayurvedic oils have been helping to strengthen my roots. I'm getting less and less shedding. I've also been much better and gentler at detangling and handling my hair. I don't like using powders, but I plan on experimenting with tea rinses next.

I think that my crown has probably suffered the most breakage over time, without me realizing it, so now I have to work on nursing that section back to health.

silenttullip

Natural
Mb

Prepoo
Shampoo
Deep Condition
Microfiber towel dry
Moisturize and Seal

Trying to nail
Wash frequency: managing dermatitis so its no once a week party.

If i need protein less often. I'm thinking 2x a month.
But maybe moisture for weekly

Also figuring out if i should discount anything that adds frizz but moisturizes like hawaiian silky 14 in 1.

faithVA

I'm still rinsing daily. I'm still playing around with my regimen but it is getting a little better. I'm comparing my wng with conditioner versus just rinsing. I rinse then use a very diluted conditioner and squish it into my hair. I follow that with gel and then add a little water. Then I shake and lift my roots with a comb to try to get it more rounded. I'm air drying for now and only diffuse if my hair won't be dry by bedtime. I was cleansing mid-week but not sure if I will continue or not. I'm still cleansing on the weekend.

CurlyWhoCrux

Since I spend my days entirely at home now, my hair has drastically improved.

Okay so, back in late February, I discovered this product from L’Oréal called 8 Second Wonder Water. It acts like a repairing product. I apply it after I wash my hair and it doesn’t necessarily feel great when I’m applying it, but it doesn’t feel awful. Even though it says only leave in for 8 seconds, I make sure I let it get foamy in my hair because high density thick strands and I can’t even apply a product effectively in 8 seconds. Anyways. During the first use, after I rinsed it out and applied my conditioner my hair was super soft. And my hair looked so smooth and pretty shiny for the time. And in the days of doing my hair after that initial use, my hair was really easy to manage. I’ve used it a few times since then and I bought a couple more bottles yesterday.

Between that and just being consistent with using products with protein regularly, my hair is just so much better now. So here’s what I do about every other day.

I rinse my hair in the shower. When I get out of the shower, there is no product in my hair and I wrap my hair in a T-shirt. I leave it on just long enough to get dressed.

Then I apply conditioner in sections (I do one flat twist at a time so I only apply conditioner to the section I’m on), add water after the conditioner to help detangle, then add a curling cream/styler. Then I flat twist the section. I tend to do at least ten flat twists total. I keep the flat twists in until the next time I do this routine, meaning when I rinse my hair in the shower my hair is in those twists.

The order of conditioner THEN water works better because I can control how much conditioner gets in/on my hair and the water just helps distribute it. The water also helps to finger detangle.

Brushing after I’ve finger detangled smoothes my hair.

Flat twisting keeps it smooth and the roots are less likely to tangle, and I think somehow it is more moisturizing than just twists. I was never comfortable wearing flat twists in public, but now I don’t care because no one sees me except my family and my hair actually does look good. I think wearing the flat twists has been the biggest game changer after perhaps the 8 Second wonder water/protein use.

All of the conditioners and stylers I use have some form of protein in them. Cream stylers add more nourishment than gel.

I can see myself maintaining this routine for a while and I’m looking forward to seeing if I can get my hair to full hip and also finally get it in wash and go shape (which btw, I’ve noticed my hair is starting to curl and wave up more).

CurlyWhoCrux

I just realized that I never even joined this challenge; I just came in here talking...

Tell us About You

Natural - Relaxed – Texturized/Texlaxed - Transitioning: Natural, coarse strands, low porosity, high density

Current Length: maybe WL

Current Products: Kind of all over the place, but as of right now products I have are geared towards repairing hair and creams for nourishing hair. A big hit has been the use of L’Oreal’s 8 Second Wonder Water, and trying to use products with protein and repairing agents more frequently.

Current Techniques: Rinsing hair frequently in the shower, detangling with conditioner out of the shower, applying a cream styler, flat twisting. I do everything one flat twist at a time meaning I don’t apply all of my conditioner to my entire head at once; I apply it as I work my way around. It really has helped my hair a lot. My hair is easy to detangle, it’s smoother, softer, more manageable.

What in your regimen are trying to nail: Consistency with shampooing and deep conditioning. Deep conditioning with heat.

What's your starting strategy: I’m going to attempt to shampoo and DC once a week with the hopes that because my mom and sister also wash their hair once a week: it will remind me to do the same. I find it hard to stay on track with shampooing because I rinse my hair and cowash so often that I feel like I never need to shampoo so I always put it off. I have a planner so I might start writing down a schedule for when to wash and DC, and when to rinse and style my hair. I have my soft hooded dryer and a blow dryer so I can incorporate heat with my DC.

CurlyWhoCrux

I’m officially starting this regimen now:

1. Prepoo and detangle with conditioner (currently using the Not Your Mother’s Curl Defining Conditioner [magenta bottle]). This is a new step. I normally don’t prepoo.

2. Will shampoo with Garnier Fructiss somethingsomething Nourishing Treat. (Gonna see how shampooing in flat twists goes for the first time).

3. Apply 8s Wonder Water thoroughly.

4. Detangle with non-DC (probably gonna be the Cantu conditioner for now).

5. Deep condition with heat for at least 15 minutes. This week, I’ll use the new Emerge Hair Mask I bought and haven’t tried yet. I think keeping my DC time short will also help me to stay motivated to do it.

6. Rinse the DC. Apply conditioner (NYM or the Emerge BFF LI I also recently bought and haven’t tried). Apply Emerge styling cream (recently bought and have tried) and flat twist.

On the non-shampoo days, I’m going to stick to rinsing my hair in the shower in twists, applying conditioner, detangling, applying a styling cream, and flat twisting it up until the next rinse a day or two later.

HealthyHair2020

Still building my regimen but I do have to point out some things I've noticed these past few months.
1. Prepooing the night before is the way to go.
2. Putting in the leave-in right after washing out the deep conditioner makes styling much easier.
3. Air drying my hair in twists before styling makes my hair look soooo much longer. I also don't have an issue with the moisture drying out because of #2.
4. Deep conditioning with my heat cap is an absolute must.

faithVA

I'm still rinsing daily. Every now and then I will skip a rinse and just add water. So daily is rinsing, optionally use a very diluted conditioner, gel and air dry. Depending on my hair I may use a cleansing conditioner mid-week. Then I shampoo and condition on the weekend.

I'm still working on my water to gel ratio. I'm still not quite sure what works and what doesn't. Plan to do this for the rest of the month. Then I will figure out what is next.

CurlyWhoCrux

Today was the first day doing the regimen I posted above. I am on the DC step. I ended up using a different conditioner to pre-poo with (Cantu conditioner), and for the DC I’m not using heat but I’ve left the DC on longer. So far so good. That 8 Second Wonder Water instantly softens my hair as soon as I start rinsing it out.