Name Your Low Porosity Hair Staples!

Dee_33

Live, Laugh, Love
has anyone found that relaxing changed their porosity? My last 2 relaxers have been no-lye and my porosity is almost normal. My hair is accepting moisture more and its taking less time to air-dry.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I just bought the entire TGIN line. So far I like it. I will know by the end of August if it's a staple.

Le sigh. I like the Honey conditioner, but it's just not great for me. I didn't want to repurchase, but I will around late fall because I am now realizing that Summer will always be 5 steps ahead of any product review being good to great. It moisturizes well, very well, so I will give it another go when weather permits.

With the exception of the Shea Butter, what else would you recommend?

faithVA

Le sigh. I like the Honey conditioner, but it's just not great for me. I didn't want to repurchase, but I will around late fall because I am now realizing that Summer will always be 5 steps ahead of any product review being good to great. It moisturizes well, very well, so I will give it another go when weather permits.

With the exception of the Shea Butter, what else would you recommend?
It's not great for me either but I don't really need great. I'm looking for a line fhT works well in my hair and this seems to be it. DCing doesn't seem to do much for my hair anyway. I just do it because they say I should :lol

I don't do my h Shea butter but it's OK in a blend.

So far what I can use is Elasta QP shampoo and. Remember of Nature shampoo. I haven't tried the corresponding conditioners for them.

I like the Jessicurl AloebA conditioner. I like the Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends And Teraveda Organix Carmeltini for DC. I like Komaza Protein.

I like As I am, TGIN leave ins.

I'm still working on products after that. I like MyHoneyChild type 4 hair cream in the winter but still figuring it out.

My hair likes very few products.

ETA: I let the mask stay on longer and it was much nicer than my first use. I forgot my hair needs both heat and extended time.

Last edited:

faithVA

I'm low po, so my hair doesn't do well with humectants and I don't require a bunch of protein. I need products that are free of those. My hair needs moisture, not something to draw in moisture and nothing to strengthen or seal my cuticles.

I'm low po to and my hair likes humectants so there must be some other characteristic of you hair that doesn't like humectants.

What products have you tried lately?

Evolving78

I'm low po to and my hair likes humectants so there must be some other characteristic of you hair that doesn't like humectants.

What products have you tried lately?
Oyin hair dew seems to work. I believe it is environmental for me. Qhemet hair products work well too. Rinse out conditioners that don't contain large amounts of protein work. Plus my home is dry!

faithVA

Oyin hair dew seems to work. I believe it is environmental for me. Qhemet hair products work well too. Rinse out conditioners that don't contain large amounts of protein work. Plus my home is dry!
It's not a DC but I like Jessicurl Aloeba. It was a really nice rinse out.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I'm low po, so my hair doesn't do well with humectants and I don't require a bunch of protein. I need products that are free of those. My hair needs moisture, not something to draw in moisture and nothing to strengthen or seal my cuticles.

It's safe to assume most in here are LP. Also, while no two products are for each head, it may not only be products that aren't working but also finding a technique that works for you.

My hair loves honey, but barely tolerates glycerin. I can't use hard protein but I can use protein in small amounts which is going to help retain moisture. I also have 4a hair, which is prone to hold moisture longer, so I can get away with not washing for up to 2 weeks with no moisture lost.

I've also learned that stretching my hair and air drying, then sealing with a heavy butter works very well.

And your right, you hair needs moisture, but any product you buy that is pH balanced will seal the cuticle. Ingredients that work for me as a deep conditioner don't work the same as a leave-in. Reason being as to why I can use Shea Moisture masques but not their detanglers, leave-ins, nada else.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
It's not great for me either but I don't really need great. I'm looking for a line fhT works well in my hair and this seems to be it. DCing doesn't seem to do much for my hair anyway. I just do it because they say I should :lol

I don't do my h Shea butter but it's OK in a blend.

So far what I can use is Elasta QP shampoo and. Remember of Nature shampoo. I haven't tried the corresponding conditioners for them.

I like the Jessicurl AloebA conditioner. I like the Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends And Teraveda Organix Carmeltini for DC. I like Komaza Protein.

I like As I am, TGIN leave ins.

I'm still working on products after that. I like MyHoneyChild type 4 hair cream in the winter but still figuring it out.

My hair likes very few products.

ETA: I let the mask stay on longer and it was much nicer than my first use. I forgot my hair needs both heat and extended time.

Thanks!

I feel the same way about deep conditioning. I was just leaving it on and running errands, but depending on the conditioner, I can get away with 20-30 minutes in the shower. It takes me 15 minutes just to apply and finger detangle so there goes the time recommendation. The thing is, I have to use DC and work it in, then can rinse, but I can't use regla conditioner. It just leaves my hair hard.

I've used both shampoos years ago, but my hair doesn't fare well with opaque shampoos. Only one ever worked but it got bumped for DevaCurl Low Poo.

I've yet to try Jessiecurl or Teravada, but NG always seems to be a hit for me with the exception of her coconut and mango DC.

I will give TGIN and MHC leave ins a try.

I have little success in the shampoo and leave in department, but for DC, it greatly depends on the season.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Shampoo:
-DevaCurl Low Poo
-Camille Rose Naturals Cleansing Rinse (back-up)
-Redken Cleansing Creme (clarifier)

Deep Conditioner:
-Shea Moisture Sacha Inchi, Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil and JBCO
-Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends, Marshmallow Root and Chamomile and Burdock
-Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
-Annabelles Perfect Blends Moisturizing Conditioner, Ultra Moisturizing Soufflé
-Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner
-Bekura YAM Nectar
-Silk Dreams Shea What! Deux (old formula)

Protein
-Curl Junkie Repair Me
-Bekura Vanilla Whiskey Soak
-SheScentIt Okra Reconstructor

Leave In:
-Bekura Honey Latte
-Annabelles PB Moisturizing Lotion (without Shea Butter)
-Keravada
-Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter

Sealers:
-Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai and Curl Maker
-Bekura Palm Tapioca
Still playing in this department.

Evolving78

Shampoo:
-DevaCurl Low Poo
-Camille Rose Naturals Cleansing Rinse (back-up)
-Redken Cleansing Creme (clarifier)

Deep Conditioner:
-Shea Moisture Sacha Inchi, Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil and JBCO
-Naturelle Grow Herbal Blends, Marshmallow Root and Chamomile and Burdock
-Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
-Annabelles Perfect Blends Moisturizing Conditioner, Ultra Moisturizing Soufflé
-Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner
-Bekura YAM Nectar
-Silk Dreams Shea What! Deux (old formula)

Protein
-Curl Junkie Repair Me
-Bekura Vanilla Whiskey Soak
-SheScentIt Okra Reconstructor

Leave In:
-Bekura Honey Latte
-Annabelles PB Moisturizing Lotion (without Shea Butter)
-Keravada
-Silk Dreams Wheat Germ Butter

Sealers:
-Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai and Curl Maker
-Bekura Palm Tapioca
Still playing in this department.
I liked the silk dreams products when my hair was relaxed. Not so much as a natural. I can't do cleansing creams. Feels like wax on my hair. Qhemet burdock root cream, and the Detangling ghee worked really well for me. Oyin hair dew and burnt sugar pomade works well too. I'm 4a as well. SheScentit anything didn't work for me either.
SM castor oil shampoo seemed nice.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I liked the silk dreams products when my hair was relaxed. Not so much as a natural. I can't do cleansing creams. Feels like wax on my hair. Qhemet burdock root cream, and the Detangling ghee worked really well for me. Oyin hair dew and burnt sugar pomade works well too. I'm 4a as well. SheScentit anything didn't work for me either.
SM castor oil shampoo seemed nice.

It just sounds like technique that you need to work on. You just need a good deep conditioner. I know you don't feel like you need it, but LP can lose moisture, it's just not as likely, but when it does it can be confusing. Otherwise, your product selection sounds promising.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
It's safe to assume most in here are LP. Also, while no two products are for each head, it may not only be products that aren't working but also finding a technique that works for you.

My hair loves honey, but barely tolerates glycerin. I can't use hard protein but I can use protein in small amounts which is going to help retain moisture. I also have 4a hair, which is prone to hold moisture longer, so I can get away with not washing for up to 2 weeks with no moisture lost.

I've also learned that stretching my hair and air drying, then sealing with a heavy butter works very well.

And your right, you hair needs moisture, but any product you buy that is pH balanced will seal the cuticle. Ingredients that work for me as a deep conditioner don't work the same as a leave-in. Reason being as to why I can use Shea Moisture masques but not their detanglers, leave-ins, nada else.
It sounds like our hair may be similar, except I can use products with glycerin if I am careful not to use products with a high concentration of it.

victory777

Shea Moisture low porosity collection

I think I've finally found the perfect products that'll help me stop buying products. I have other favorites but they've never made me just want to use them exclusively and not try anything else.
I find that I rarely have to seal behind the leave in.
I haven't tried the conditioner. Can you describe it? Are you using it as a cowash or deep conditioner?

Anaisin

I find that I rarely have to seal behind the leave in.
I haven't tried the conditioner. Can you describe it? Are you using it as a cowash or deep conditioner?

Same. I don't need at sealant at all even though I have used Qhemet's AOHC with it.

I used the conditioner as a regular rinse out & detangler. It's VERY tingly, too much for some people at least that's what most of the reviews say, it's strong. I love it, I love that sensation on my scalp. It's light and creamy and has nice slip and moisture. One thing I noticed with all three products is they leave my hair shiny

victory777

Same. I don't need at sealant at all even though I have used Qhemet's AOHC with it.

I used the conditioner as a regular rinse out & detangler. It's VERY tingly, too much for some people at least that's what most of the reviews say, it's strong. I love it, I love that sensation on my scalp. It's light and creamy and has nice slip and moisture. One thing I noticed with all three products is they leave my hair shiny
I'm eyeing the 30% with free shipping on Shea Moisture's site with $35 purchase. Thanks for the review!!

Luxlii

BAKING SODA!

I cannot believe I forgot about this. My hair had gotten really dry and brittle after swimming a few times per week this summer. Nothing I tried worked to moisturize it. I started searching the board to find a solution. That is when I remembered that my hair was low porosity before and I had fixed it by adding baking soda to my dc and my glycerine moisturizer spray. This repaired my porosity permanently for years (I was able to stop using baking soda the entire time). I started up with baking soda again and my hair is in the best condition it has been in in a long time. Now any product works well to soften and condition.

CopperRose

I realized that if my DC doesn't work well then no leave in or butter will help. But for my DC to work my hair has to be receptive so a chelator/clarifier is a must even in nyc. After chelating (once every 3 - 6 months) everything works so much better. My top chelators are kenra clarifying and (Sallys) Ion swimmers shampoo. Also protein tx are a must even being lo po. My fine hair starts acting up after 4 months or so of straight moisture.

Evolving78

It just sounds like technique that you need to work on. You just need a good deep conditioner. I know you don't feel like you need it, but LP can lose moisture, it's just not as likely, but when it does it can be confusing. Otherwise, your product selection sounds promising.
Nope none of those products that I mentioned worked. I believe a good deep conditioner is the key to everything and I always deep condition. But I have found a line that works well and provides the moisture that I need. I can use shampoo, cones, etc.products that are heavy with butters, oils, etc.. just don't work for me.

HaveSomeWine

Shampoos:

Suave Sleek Shampoo
Suave Deep Moisture Shampoo

Rinse Out Conditioners:

All Suave Naturals Conditioners
Suave Sleek Conditioner
Suave Deep Moisture Conditioner
Dove Daily Moisture Conditioner
Dove Intensive Repair Conditioner
Pantene Beautiful Lengths Conditioner
Pantene Anti-Breakage Conditioner

Hair Masks:

Brocato Saturate Intensive Moisture Treatment
Brocato Cloud 9 Miracle Repair Treatment
Terax Original Crema Daily Conditioner
Garnier Fructis Whole Blends Coconut Water and Vanilla Milk Extracts Hydrating Mask
Garnier Fructis Whole Blends Avocado Oil & Shea Butter Extracts Nourishing Mask
Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque

Leave In Conditioners:

Brocato Saturation Leave-In Conditioner
Rusk Sensories Smoother Passionflower and Aloe Leave In Conditioner

Gels:

LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel

Oils:

Red Palm Oil
Pistachio Oil
All Garnier Hair Oils

sunkissedskin

I haven't read through this thread yet so I'm sure these have been mentioned already, but anyway:
The Shea Moisture Low Porosity products (shampoo, conditioner, leave-in). I really love this line, I just wish they had a styling product.
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel
Kinky Curly Tiny Twirls conditioner
Rosehip oil
Oregano oil
Rhassoul/green clay
And last but not least, dye/bleach! It's funny to me because for such a long time, I was afraid of colouring my hair (especially the infamous bleach :evilbanana:), but it's actually the healthiest it's ever been. I definitely notice a positive change in how my hair responds to products, and my curls "pop" more. I don't plan to ever stop, lol. For me, it's definitely been a combo of finding the right products + hair colour.