Natural 4a/b Ponytail/Bun....How?

Naturelle

I swear my hair is so darn unruly! :wallbash:

I hate buns/ponytails. I really don't like the way they look on me. But I try to do them and spruce them up cause I've seen such beautiful heads rocking them.

But I can't seem to get my hair to lay flat and show my waves like I've seen so many others do. Natural 4a/b buns/ponytails slicked backed tight with a nice big puff, but I really just don't think my hair can do it. By the time I'm done "slicking" it back into a ponytail/bun, the top of my hair looks frizzy and messy no waves in sight and no shine like I've seen many others do.

I've seen my hair type with awesome slicked back bun/ponytails but I need some help to whip mine into shape.

Any advice?

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Do it wet. When you get in the shower, conditioner wash, apply your leave in, oils, butter etc and take a comb and your fingers and pull it back into the ponytail holder (or whatever you are using). When you get out, put your gel or pomade on your edges, slick them back with your hands or boar bristle brush or toothbrush etc. then tie a silk scarf around the edge.

This is the best time to bun your hair too.

Do it wet. When you get in the shower, conditioner wash, apply your leave in, oils, butter etc and take a comb and your fingers and pull it back into the ponytail holder (or whatever you are using). When you get out, put your gel or pomade on your edges, slick them back with your hands or boar bristle brush or toothbrush etc. then tie a silk scarf around the edge.

This is the best time to bun your hair too.
Yep that's the only way I can my hair into a ponytail, wet hair, fantasia ic gel, brush and a scarf.:yep:

Nonie

I don't know if this is considered slick but I like my puffs and I do them on dry hair but with a lot of SCurl...I guess that means it's wet w/ SCurl. :giggle: I don't use a brush but just comb it in a backward direction then slide my friendly elastic backwards using my hands to help smooth it back, crossing the elastic as it gets longer from being pushed back under the puff and taking it over the puff to complete the do.

If I do a puff using anything else other than SCurl (As I did when I accidentally used MyHoneyChild DC for Type 4 hair...thinking it was some leave-in creme that could help with providing slip for combing followed by coconut oil--I was trying out something new for my puff do to see if I'd get less shrinkage. I did, but I think I had more fuzz on the flat part of the puff do.) Strange though, the fuzz doesn't bother me at all. I don't even try to "fix" it. I have seen those set dos of caked hair pasted to the head and I don't find it cute, so that might be why I don't care for a perfect pull-back.

Puff made not using SCurl:

Last edited: