natural good ingredient hair gels

inthepink

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a healthier alternative to my current gel of choice which is Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel. The gel has UV protection and no alcohol - has vitamins and proteins. But, I'm looking for something a little more natural and healthier for my hair.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have considered purchasing one of the Giovanni gels: Giovanni L.A. Natural Styling Gel or Giovanni Morebody Hair Thickening Gel. Has anyone used those? Or also the Aura gel from Sally's. Does anyone find these better than typical gels?

I use gel every single day so I would like to make sure I'm putting the most healthy kind of gel on my hair.

Thanks!

NubianAngel

People speak highly of flax seed based gels, but I've never tried one. Maybe someone else here has.

If you go to Sally's, check out Silk Elements Liquid Styling Gel. It's alcohol free and doesn't make your hair feel sticky.

NubianAngel

You can always try the Jessicurl gel they sell on naturallycurly.com. A meember makes and sells it, and the ingredients are pretty natural. Once gain, I never tried it LOL.

J

JenniferMD

Hairlove, I don't know how well this works but I here's how you can make your own homemade gel: "Take 1 teaspoon of unflavored gelatin and disolve it in 1 cup of warm water. Keep it in the fridge and use it as you would any other hair gel".

There's also a gel you can get from Kokopelli's Green Market
and the ingredients are: purified, deionized organic floral water of nettle, calendula and chamomile, carbopol, hyaluronic acid, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate (amino acid derived), yeast extract, panthenol, tocopherol (vitamin E), grapefruit extract.

Divastate

[ QUOTE ]
NubianAngel said:
People speak highly of flax seed based gels, but I've never tried one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what I was going to say

Aveda has a flaxseed gel but I've never tried it (maybe they have a sample size you could try?) And here's a recipe to make your own flaxseed hair gel: http://goldenseedsfarms.com/rhairgel.html I've never tried it but a few folx on another hair board I'm on have really liked it- plus its very strengthening for the hair.

deeplyrooted

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:
I hear of some people using Aloe Vera Gel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's what I use when I'm serious about a soothing, natural gel. I use Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly.

Kha

You may want to check out some Aloe Vera Gelly...I use FOTE 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel, but it's not 100% natural. They should have some all natural aloe vera gelly at your local health food store.

bettydavis

I use aloe gel too...it's called Solarcaine and I found it in the first aid section at Walmart...it says pure on it , but I don't think it's 100% pure...it works well though.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:
I use aloe gel too...it's called Solarcaine and I found it in the first aid section at Walmart...it says pure on it , but I don't think it's 100% pure...it works well though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I've never seen or heard of that before. I was just in Wal-Mart lurking the hair aisle. I'm going to have to check that out next time. Thanks!

bettydavis

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I've never seen or heard of that before. I was just in Wal-Mart lurking the hair aisle. I'm going to have to check that out next time. Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob....btw your hair is gorgeous!!
I think you might be hair twins with my sister

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:
[ QUOTE ]
bettydavis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob....btw your hair is gorgeous!!
I think you might be hair twins with my sister

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Your hair is lovely, I love that PUFF...you don't need that drawstring no more! Your sister's hair is pretty too. You two keep up the good work!

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
Aubrey Organics has a natural gel

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds interesting...I'm going to check it out. I wonder if regular Aloe Vera gel would give enough hold?

NubianAngel

Off Topic!!!

Delightful I had been wondering what happened to you. You and that fly puff better go! I love seeing people progress from a TWA! It's like watching a flower blossom before you.

Jade21

I can make three suggestions to you:

1.Do a mixture of pure aloe vera (liquid form)w/a few drops of jojoba oil and maybe some panthenol if you like. This is excellent for summer if you are tired of using something commercial and feel like experimenting. Your hair will have a ton of shine and softness with some extra body depending on your proportions. I would recommend Aubrey's liquid aloe vera to store in the refrigerator. With the panthenol, maybe try something local or the NOW Foods brand.

2. Aubrey Organics Gingko and Ginseng Moisturizing Jelly. This is natural gums with aloe and some herbs. The only problem is that you will have to experiment a few times to determine the right amount for your hair. Frankly, it's worth the trial and error.

3.John Masters Organics Sweet Orange and Silk Protein Styling Gel. This is some of the best stuff on the planet. To me, it's one step up from Aubrey's moisturizing jelly because your hair truly feels like silk after using it, whether you use heat or airdry. It's a bit pricey, but well worth it. This is my gel of choice. The smell is awesome, too:)

~Jade~

inthepink

Thanks for your suggestions, Jade! I will definitely check out the Aubrey formulas since I know I can find them at the local health food store.