Natural Hair And I've Never Used Permanent Dye. Should I Switch To Permanent To Cover My Grays?

primelime

I have done everything Earth Momma style until I started to lose the battle with my grays. I used to mix my own henna. I switched to boxed hennas. Then I moved on to ammonia-free semi-permanent dye. Now demi-permanents. But around my temples by day 4 grays are peeking back out. Now I often compliment it on other women and I believe in graceful aging but in this area I AM NOT READY!:ohwell:

So I am considering the switch to permanent dye but I just need some support about the health of it. Have I been overly concerned? Also any advice about the best brands to cover gray natural hair. Any help/experiences appreciated. Thank you ladies!

faithVA

I have done everything Earth Momma style until I started to lose the battle with my grays. I used to mix my own henna. I switched to boxed hennas. Then I moved on to ammonia-free semi-permanent dye. Now demi-permanents. But around my temples by day 4 grays are peeking back out. Now I often compliment it on other women and I believe in graceful aging but in this area I AM NOT READY!:ohwell:

So I am considering the switch to permanent dye but I just need some support about the health of it. Have I been overly concerned? Also any advice about the best brands to cover gray natural hair. Any help/experiences appreciated. Thank you ladies!
Can you use semi-permanent on the rest of your hair and just try permanent on your edges.

Sometimes permanent color can make the hair porous.

primelime

Can you use semi-permanent on the rest of your hair and just try permanent on your edges.

Sometimes permanent color can make the hair porous.
I'd have never thought of that! Thanks. After I posted the question I cut my hair and saw that some random grays in the back were pretty obvious too! I actually would like some fun color. It's a rather flat black now, with no dimension, and I fantasize about shades of chestnut or just some spark. Ok, gonna think on it.

healthyhair2

I'd have never thought of that! Thanks. After I posted the question I cut my hair and saw that some random grays in the back were pretty obvious too! I actually would like some fun color. It's a rather flat black now, with no dimension, and I fantasize about shades of chestnut or just some spark. Ok, gonna think on it.

I'm a natural who dyes my hair. I've always done it, even when relaxed or permed. I have had great success with ION brand from Sally's. You really don't need more than 20 volume developer, unless you want to lighten your hair a few shades. Their demi and permanent colors are good. One mistake you should avoid is BOX color from the drugstore. I made the mistake of using Feria from CVS. My hair was like the desert for months!! Just so you do DC treatments, you'll be fine.

*Natural hair does seem to need to process a bit longer for the color to take to grays*

primelime

I'm a natural who dyes my hair. I've always done it, even when relaxed or permed. I have had great success with ION brand from Sally's. You really don't need more than 20 volume developer, unless you want to lighten your hair a few shades. Their demi and permanent colors are good. One mistake you should avoid is BOX color from the drugstore. I made the mistake of using Feria from CVS. My hair was like the desert for months!! Just so you do DC treatments, you'll be fine.

*Natural hair does seem to need to process a bit longer for the color to take to grays*
You know I've been using ION Demi. Maybe I'll move up to permanent because the grays are back in less than a week. Thank you!

faithVA

I've been doing henna for a while. I'm going to go back to color. I just want color that last.

faithVA

Which will you use? Mine are back in less than a week, AGAIN, and they're soo visible as I keep my hair really short now.
I've only used the ion demi and it's been a long time. It's been so long I dont remember the issues I had with it. When I used permanent I used shea moisture which had great coverage.