NATURAL HAIR AND WORKING OUT...

Mandy4610

I workout in the morning and then go to work. Problem is that my roots get so puffy from working out and I can't style my hair the way I like because my roots are so puffy compared to my stretched out ends. This doesn't bother me too much, even though its limiting , its ok.

My questions are:

How do you wear your hair to the gym?

What do you do after working out, if anything?

For those that workout and then go to work, how do you manage this? Do you wash it after or something?

Nonie

My hair is in twists so if I worked out, it'd not affect my style at all coz my twists are always in their post-wash state ie shrunken, including the roots.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Also wear twists for my working out, especially the pool. I can pretty much workout with any style though. Sometimes I use a spritz of peppermint, tea tree oil and/or rosemary to freshen my hair after (if I feel it needs it).

Your Cheeziness

I workout in the evening. To keep my twistouts in tact, I twist and tie them down. I don't take the scarf off until my hair is dry. Maybe on the car ride to work, you can take your scarf off? I guess that depends on your style. I'm in a sew in now, but when I'm wearing my hair, I just keep my hair in twists for the most part during my workout days since I just don't want to be bothered with my hair.

beautyaddict1913

If I am wearing a twist-out I band my hair in 4 sections (I just take 4 goody elastics and loosely place them around each section, I place them, I don't tie them around, with my hair parted down the middle, so 2 puffs in the front and 2 in the back). Of course this makes me look like Im in 2nd grade so I put a satin bonnet over it. Then, that makes me look like Grandma Ida so I put a satin scarf over that lol. When Im done I just removethe bonnet, scarf and the bands and finger comb, hair still looks great!

Mandy4610

Thanks ladies. Maybe I have to keep my hair in some type of small braids or something that doesn't need to be taken out. I usually have it in large braids and the aim is to do a braid out before going to work, but my roots still get puffy.

Your Cheeziness

I know this is slightly tacky, but...oh well..LOL Could you style your hair at work?? It'd be dry my then. I'd just duck off to the restroom and get to fluffing!

Mandy4610

I know this is slightly tacky, but...oh well..LOL Could you style your hair at work?? It'd be dry my then. I'd just duck off to the restroom and get to fluffing!
Maybe I should try that. My work is not far from the gym, but I could wear something on my head until its dryer and then get to fluffing. This will throw people off more than they already are:grin:

Katherina

I put my hair in ~8 braids in a ponytail / bun.

ETA: Then a braid out after.

Last edited:

ajargon02

We had a gym and shower at the last 2 places that I worked. I would just go in before my am shift, work out, do my hair and keep movin.....this really worked for me. Even when I worked at places that didn't have that, I would just style at work. I have no issue with that.

-suggestion. If you are doing a braid out, you can braid, then use ouchless elastics at the base. Blowdry on cool for just a bit before taking it down, or change the product you use. let's jam ( yes terrible I know ) but that mineral oil/petroleum mix will keep your hair from reverting till you wash it out.

IDK, I guess that I am not that worried about my damp roots and frizzies/puffyness...........but that's just me....

ManeStreet

Just choose a way that will keep your roots pulled/stretched and they won't get puffy. Even a high bun at the top of your head will keep it, then don't take it a loose until its dry.

SherylsTresses

I am always wearing Kimmaytube's tuck and pin with twisout bangs or a slick bun. I wear a scarf while working out. Afterwards, I just remove the scarf, fluff my bangs and go.

BrownEyez22

How do you wear your hair to the gym? I've been wearing a bun or puff since I started working out more. Sometimes I wear a halfwig to work and slide it off and wear a bun with headbands to the gym.

What do you do after working out, if anything? If I work out midday/lunch break, I put a scarf over my roots because they puff up. My mid day workouts are very light (no cardio) compared to my evening workouts. I kept my half wig on one day last week and just put it in a ponytail and put a scarf on the roots. I would never do that during the evening though.

Mandy4610

We had a gym and shower at the last 2 places that I worked. I would just go in before my am shift, work out, do my hair and keep movin.....this really worked for me. Even when I worked at places that didn't have that, I would just style at work. I have no issue with that.

-suggestion. If you are doing a braid out, you can braid, then use ouchless elastics at the base. Blowdry on cool for just a bit before taking it down, or change the product you use. let's jam ( yes terrible I know ) but that mineral oil/petroleum mix will keep your hair from reverting till you wash it out.

IDK, I guess that I am not that worried about my damp roots and frizzies/puffyness...........but that's just me....
I don't mind the puffy roots if the rest of my hair would match. Sometimes the texture differs so much that I look like I am wearing a hair piece thats totally different from my hair's texture and the other problem is also that the puffy roots seem to contribute to my hair being tangled

twatombl

I wear a puff while at the gym but wear it loose so I can still wear my hair out without changing the style. I also fasten a silk scarf around my edges to prevent them from puffing if I sweat. I agree with a lot of the ladies asking if you could take off your scarf on the way to work. I'm the queen of unraveling the last twist as I pull into the parking lot, I wait until the very last minute! I also retwist while in traffic and at lights after work!

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Can you workout in a scarf or headband? Maybe that will prevent your roots from puffing up too much

cch24

I cowash every day so I just wear my hair in a messy bun, work out, and then shower when I get back.